Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

At what stage is enough enough?

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
The club have already said,that they want players who want to play for us.DS should ask for a transfer if he wants to leave.....and if our valuation is met then sell him,now !

Jimmy Grimble

I think the only way we'll sell is if we're out of contention by January. If we're still in with a shout I don't believe it'll be worth disrupting the team in a promotion bid for the sake of what would likely be a few million.

Easy for me to say I guess since it's not my money!

Jan 10, 2014
A couple of questions -

What does 'out of contention' half way through the season mean to you? Bottom three? Below half way? Five points off the play offs?

What if Stephens can't/won't agree terms with a buying club in January, even if Brighton has accepted a bid?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
A couple of questions -

What does 'out of contention' half way through the season mean to you? Bottom three? Below half way? Five points off the play offs?

There'd need to be a pretty radical change in fortunes to be so far adrift that we could reasonably say we were 'out of contention'. So in answer to your question I would to say that we would need to be really struggling in bottom half of table.

What if Stephens can't/won't agree terms with a buying club in January, even if Brighton has accepted a bid?

Then Dale wants a chunky signing on fee and we are out of pocket. That's the risk, but he would also be taking a risk himself.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
A couple of questions -

Bloom is a fair-minded chairman. Stephens is in his last year of contract. Bloom knows Stephens wants Prem football and more money and he might get that with the Albion. Out of contention would be something like 10 points off the play-offs at the halfway stage, so not likely.

I don't think the club will force Stephens to do something he doesn't want to do mid-season and it would set a bad precedent for the future.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
If he's happy to give his all in the quest for promotion this season and not sign an extension but not leave then so be it.

The way I see it the risk is all on him. He stays, doesn't sign a new deal, we get promotion and then the balls in our court because we'll have more money to sign a potentially better replacement and any lost revenue from his departure on a free will be insignificant.

Alternatively we go up, he signs a lesser deal because he's no longer as important a player.

OR alternatively we don't go up, he doesn't sign, Burnley go down and he's faced with the chance of re-signing for us but without the bargaining chip of holding a Prem move over us.

The big if here is him wanting to stay and play whole heartedly this season should no bid matching our valuation be met.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
When he's no longer giving 100%

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
If he wants Premiership then he will bide his time, as long as he try to get us there I don't care. We might still be not big enough for him, so be it

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I'd seriously doubt that information will be made available.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Or maybe nobody knows what he may, or may not, have been offered.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
The only real answer to the original question is when Tony Bloom decides its enough

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
We have a few games in August where Kayal & Norwood can show what they can offer us together and if it works out then Stephens can go to the highest bidder.

He must know how clubs deal with contracts and that CH wants a team of committed players

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
The club have already said,that they want players who want to play for us.DS should ask for a transfer if he wants to leave.....and if our valuation is met then sell him,now !

In my opinion when the club stated that Norwood was not plan B and they wanted to sign both Pritchard and Norwood , I thought they were planning to let Dale go. I cant believe we would have had Pritchard, Norwood Kayal, Sidwell, Towell, Ince and kept Stephens for two positions.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Can't the club just offer him (and Kayal) new contracts with a minimum fee release clause if we don't get promoted?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Wait til Jan. If we're doing as well as we did last season it could be him begging to sign the contract...

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Sounds like Sidwell had a very good game today, so I firmly expect CH to keep an unchanged team against Forest next Friday meaning that Dale will be on the bench ! Sidwell has the shirt now and Stephens has got a fight on his hands to get it back !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here