Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] At what point do we STOP being a selling club

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
With the exciting europa season underway and a solid start to the season, including brushing away CL newcastle in the bag...

When do you think the tipping point will happen whereby we dont actually have to sell our best players anymore as we are actually a big club. Tol 4-6 teams buy good players and rarely sell their top talent. When will BHA enter that arena do you think?

Imagine our team if we don't sell the best ones and have RDZ as gaffer. Skies the limit!!
End of thread.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The great thing at the moment is, we don’t have to sell. Players move on, that’s inevitable but at no point do we put them up for sale. We’ll never compete in paying the highest wages, so if that’s a player’s ultimate motivation then we’ll always be a stepping stone(albeit one that generates top $ as we sell)
That was my point (above) :thumbsup:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Although surely you can see that’s evolving again at a sensible level. Buying Pedro and Beleba at nearer £30m than £4-10m paying £160k a week wages to Fati.
To progress we can’t rely on plucking a gem and it seems the club want continued success.
Oh I agree but that works along side buy gems as a low price and selling them high. We won't stop being a selling club.

Zeus

Jan 10, 2022
The only way is success on the pitch and commercially but its a long game.
this isn’t actually true. The only way is that you get taken over by a multi £bn consortium or oil rich nation. I don’t think any Brighton fan really wants that so we will have to keep doing things Tonys way.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Oh I agree but that works along side buy gems as a low price and selling them high. We won't stop being a selling club.
As someone else pointed out all clubs are selling clubs Man City make significant sums selling young players it’s getting to the point when it’s not disruptive to the first team.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Probably never, almost all clubs have to sell their best players unless they have deep pockets or are happy to saddle themselves with huge debts.

It's also worth remembering that Bloom has invested huge sums of his personal wealth into the Club and to date, hasn't used money from transfers to service that debt, fees have been reinvested or covered operational losses.

It might be frustrating to lose our best players but we tend to stand firm, get good service from our top players and sell st a time that suits us.

Safe.

Jun 8, 2008
Never, basically Real Madrid are the only club that's not a selling club and that's debatable.
This is just the frustrating side of being extremely successful. Do get a bit fed up of the media constantly talking about where our players are going to move to though, massive historically big team bias everywhere.
Why should I previously successful team have the divine right to be successful in the future?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
With the exciting europa season underway and a solid start to the season, including brushing away CL newcastle in the bag...

When do you think the tipping point will happen whereby we dont actually have to sell our best players anymore as we are actually a big club. Tol 4-6 teams buy good players and rarely sell their top talent. When will BHA enter that arena do you think?

Imagine our team if we don't sell the best ones and have RDZ as gaffer. Skies the limit!!
You are imagining a world where we don’t trade football players. We just accumulate them until they are past their sell by date and then give them away when worthless. Who would ever finance that kind of football club ? Only the Saudis, Russians or some other shady criminal gangs. No thanks. I’m very happy selling players and re-investing to create different teams. What we will witness this season will be different to last year. Not worse without Caicedo and MacAllister. Just different and I like that.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

At what point do we STOP being a selling club

Never.

The only way to stop that is to be owned by a state. I hope that never happens, so I'm content with the fact that we will always be a selling club.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
It really doesn’t help the player we sold for a record British transfer fee has turned into a nervous wreck gifting goals to Forest and West Ham 🤣😆

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
Are we a selling club? Yes.
Will we ever stop? No. Nor should we. It's how we improve under the guidance of some clever individuals.

"Buying success" is a phrase used in a derogatory way in relation to football clubs and isn't something I'd ever expect anyone to levelled at our team or TB.
Can you buy success and still remain grounded and immensely proud of your club? Can you remain guilt free?
There's one way: The BHA way.

Have we "bought success?" Absolutely.

We've just bought it with someone else's money.
Thanks Todd.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022

When our capital and/or revenue streams are the highest of any club in world football. It’s a bit of an ask. Liverpool don’t want to sell Salah, but it’s still 50/50 that he’ll be here in three days time.

Every club is a selling club for someone.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Are we a "selling club" in the usual sense of the phrase? Southampton were a selling club. Our model is very different. We havent gone down that route although superficially it may seem so. Yes, we sell players for (a huge) proffit, but not until we are ready to, with replacements already at the club or lined up. The Cucerella , Bissouma and Caciedo transfers are prime examples of how we are different to the traditional selling club. Each time we all thought thats it- and yet replacements were in place, or were within a matter of weeks, and we carried on with arguably a better team.

The money from all our transfers since White hasnt been wasted, its been spent carefully and (so far) has been remarkedly succesful in that there have been so few misses.

As has been said earlier every club loses players , even Liverpool are obviously struggling to keep hold of Salah for example. That wont ever change, the whole football world relies on player movement vbetween clubs from non-league to the very very top. Thye system collapses with out it

So I dont think we are a "selling club" as such. We have an academy which produces players for different leagues around Europe and further afield, as well as providing players for our first team. We have started to buy some of the best players, and have become a second tier destination club, just iunder the real heavyweights- Fati to us insrtead of Spurs for example. I can not see this system changing while TB is at the helm-Thank God

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Would help if we had a bigger stadium
even a 35000 capacity would be a great help into gaining more revenue, which in turn would help
keep players for longer periods,
Also need to improve other sources of income, walked into the shop before yesterdays game , 20 minutes before kick off and was empty, , surely they would of learnt from last season ,
went to get the new away shirt for Europe no where in site , they must get these supplies in whilst the demand is there

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Never. Selling players at a peak price and refreshing the squad successfully is the dream model for every club. Where we’re shaking things up with the likes of Cucurella and Caicedo is demanding the amount they’ll be worth as soon as they’ve played a few high profile games for a ‘big’ club, rather than selling cheap and watching their value instantly double.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
When we get bought by the Chinese state and become just another state run propaganda outfit in a soulless bowl selling 90,000 tickets every week.

Personally I’d rather we stayed the way we are.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Would help if we had a bigger stadium
even a 35000 capacity would be a great help into gaining more revenue, which in turn would help
keep players for longer periods,
Also need to improve other sources of income, walked into the shop before yesterdays game , 20 minutes before kick off and was empty, , surely they would of learnt from last season ,
went to get the new away shirt for Europe no where in site , they must get these supplies in whilst the demand is there
Don’t start me on the trouble getting food and drink pre-match even with an hour in hand, or the post-match shambles that is now the WSU with stewards trying to kick everyone out within half an hour of the final whistle. Small beer (like the ones they eventually serve which are usually a quarter froth if they’re not flat) but on current form they’re going to lose roughly £400-500 a season revenue from me and my wife alone. And we only aim for a pint before and after. Multiply by, say, 3000 and it’s well over a million quid turnover down the swanee, just for not giving a shit.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
We won't, the elite clubs will always offer higher wages than us. Question you have to ask yourself is would you rather be owned by the likes of Boehly & the Saudi's or Tony Bloom, I know without doubt my preference.
Stop calling them ELITE! They’re just the RICHEST. Sake, no offence, but it’s feck all to do with being the best. So label them for what they are. Absurdly RICH!

Hovegull

Nov 27, 2022
Sell players, make money - bring in new wonderkids and unknowns - makes stars of them - sell them on. Cyclical.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Although frustrating at times to see such top talent go out the exit door, especially to the shit show they call Chelsea, but on the other hand it’s exiting and pleasing to see new jems being posted through the Amex letter box and being polished (oh missus) into something special. All part of our journey.

“Brighton have only gone and done it again, how do they do it” :cheers:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here