Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] At what point do we STOP being a selling club

Apr 30, 2013
It's grim oop north
With the exciting europa season underway and a solid start to the season, including brushing away CL newcastle in the bag...

When do you think the tipping point will happen whereby we dont actually have to sell our best players anymore as we are actually a big club. Tol 4-6 teams buy good players and rarely sell their top talent. When will BHA enter that arena do you think?

Imagine our team if we don't sell the best ones and have RDZ as gaffer. Skies the limit!!

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
We won’t. Even the very top clubs have to sell their best players at times, other than Real Madrid I can’t think of any club that truly doesn’t lose players they want to keep.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Never.

Only Real Madrid and ManC aren’t, both financial cheats, you could probably now add the Saudi clubs. Every other club to some extent has reluctantly lost players.

I’m getting used to this. My only gripe is when a player’s here a year, we help give them a great reputation, then then conspire to depart via illegal tapping up and in a disrespectful way ….. Cuckoorella.

Other than that, enjoy the football in the moment and smile as TB/PB play their peers like a piano :lolol:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
When do you think the tipping point will happen whereby we dont actually have to sell our best players anymore as we are actually a big club. Tol 4-6 teams buy good players and rarely sell their top talent. When will BHA enter that arena do you think?
When Brighton be a big six club? I mean, I don't want to crush dreams...

scooter1

How soon is now?
The great thing at the moment is, we don’t have to sell. Players move on, that’s inevitable but at no point do we put them up for sale. We’ll never compete in paying the highest wages, so if that’s a player’s ultimate motivation then we’ll always be a stepping stone(albeit one that generates top $ as we sell)

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
The only way is success on the pitch and commercially but its a long game.

In maybe 10-15 years time, the barrier to entry in club ownership will be too significant for clubs to be bankrolled to the same extent as now by anyone other than state investment funds. The growth in commercial income for everyone with TV money might even things out a bit if we can win trophies and compete but it'll need sustained and successful european football.

The big clubs will always be there but if we can deliver commercially and on the pitch, that could long term include us.

It is a massive ask though. A huge one. Unachievable I would suggest; but this club...

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Never - TB has made it very clear that we buy low and sell high - that's how we stop us going back to bad old days. Personally I fully support him in that business plan.
Although surely you can see that’s evolving again at a sensible level. Buying Pedro and Beleba at nearer £30m than £4-10m paying £160k a week wages to Fati.
To progress we can’t rely on plucking a gem and it seems the club want continued success.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Player wages are the main driver of movement between clubs.
Unless we start paying massive wages players will continue to chase the money
Is the right answer and the club are never going to play massive wages unless capacity doubles at the Amex (which it won't/can't) and we play in the Champions League and are quarter finalists minimum per season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here