Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aston Villa

Bright Un

Dec 11, 2015
Villa are down, no doubt about it. Whatever EPL quality players they have will probably be asset stripped over the summer which could very realistically lead to them dropped down to League 1 the following season and doing a Leeds.

It really makes you appreciate TB that little bit more.

Yeah Villa are dead and buried. Doubt we'll see them in the premier league again for a very long time.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm not buying the assumption Villa are so poor they will go down again.

If Learner stays on he must get promoted.

Garde will be gone and replaced by Pearson.
The dead wood will be shipped out or paid off.
There's clearly a crop of talented youngsters.
If they start on the front foot the crowds will soon follow.

They have an owner who just wants out - he didn't invest to stay in the PL, he's not invested properly for years hence their steady decline, so there's little reason to think he's suddenly going to open the chequebook this summer to get them back up. And whoever is manager there, whether it be Garde, Pearson or A.N. Other will have all the same problems. A poor quality, demoralised squad ill equipped for a Championship battle, and an owner that won't back him in the transfer market.

I haven't seen much evidence of this crop of talented youngsters you allude to tbh, but even if that is the case, you need a HELL of a lot more than that to compete in this league. I'm not saying they'll go straight through to League One, but they have all the hallmarks of a club that is set fair for an extended period in the doldrums.

It'll be interesting to bounce this thread around Christmas and see how they're doing.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If Lerner couldn't shift Villa while they were in the Prem then he'll have to take a massive hit if he wants to shift them as a Championship club.

But if he IS willing to take a hit, sell up and walk away then there is a cracking opportunity for the right investor to get a big club at a knockdown price. However, as we've seen with Leeds Utd and Rangers, this can bring further carnage.

Villa need to get rid of Garde. He hasn't inspired the players and he hasn't managed to persuade the chairman to bring in any players to help him fight against relegation. By and large the managers that succeed in the Championship are older heads - Bruce, Dyche, Hughton, McCarthy. Landing Pearson or Poyet would be a good start.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Villa need to get rid of Garde. He hasn't inspired the players and he hasn't managed to persuade the chairman to bring in any players to help him fight against relegation. By and large the managers that succeed in the Championship are older heads - Bruce, Dyche, Hughton, McCarthy. Landing Pearson or Poyet would be a good start.

Maybe the reason someone like Garde is there is exactly for that reason. Lerner doesn't want a Pearson or a Poyet rentagob in his ear constantly making lots of high-profile ructions about the state of the squad, or of "hitting ceilings". That's the last thing he'd want.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Villa are down, no doubt about it. Whatever EPL quality players they have will probably be asset stripped over the summer which could very realistically lead to them dropped down to League 1 the following season and doing a Leeds.

It really makes you appreciate TB that little bit more.

Never ever use the term EPL on this site again. Top Flight is desirable. Premier League if you must.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Never ever use the term EPL on this site again. Top Flight is desirable. Premier League if you must.

Someone used the term "BPL" on here once. I didn't know what the hell they meant and had to have it explained to me.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Maybe the reason someone like Garde is there is exactly for that reason. Lerner doesn't want a Pearson or a Poyet rentagob in his ear constantly making lots of high-profile ructions about the state of the squad, or of "hitting ceilings". That's the last thing he'd want.

And as I said earlier, Garde has lots of experience working with development squads as well as first teams. If they want to rebuild, he'd be a great choice. It seems, however, that the board's looking to force him out - can't help thinking that will end badly

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
They have an owner who just wants out - he didn't invest to stay in the PL, he's not invested properly for years hence their steady decline, so there's little reason to think he's suddenly going to open the chequebook this summer to get them back up. And whoever is manager there, whether it be Garde, Pearson or A.N. Other will have all the same problems. A poor quality, demoralised squad ill equipped for a Championship battle, and an owner that won't back him in the transfer market.

I haven't seen much evidence of this crop of talented youngsters you allude to tbh, but even if that is the case, you need a HELL of a lot more than that to compete in this league. I'm not saying they'll go straight through to League One, but they have all the hallmarks of a club that is set fair for an extended period in the doldrums.

It'll be interesting to bounce this thread around Christmas and see how they're doing.

They spent £52m in order to be this shite.
But they spent that with Little Timmy Sherwood at the helm, not many teams could recover from that kind of devastation.

Garde was on a hiding to nothing, and they've taken the hiding.

I am a contrarian, which went well for me re Leicester (not that I went as far as top in March), who's just not seeing the cliche that is double relegation.
I also don't see them hovering around mid-table, so that only leaves me with one option.

Traditionally Villa have bought players through, they have to ability to have a good clear out and still have considerably more money than the Albion.

I guess I'm going by the 'too big to go down (again)' cliche.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
They spent £52m in order to be this shite.
But they spent that with Little Timmy Sherwood at the helm, not many teams could recover from that kind of devastation.

Garde was on a hiding to nothing, and they've taken the hiding.

I am a contrarian, which went well for me re Leicester (not that I went as far as top in March), who's just not seeing the cliche that is double relegation.
I also don't see them hovering around mid-table, so that only leaves me with one option.

Traditionally Villa have bought players through, they have to ability to have a good clear out and still have considerably more money than the Albion.

I guess I'm going by the 'too big to go down (again)' cliche.

They only spent what they got from Benteke and Delph. There has been no 'investment' as such from the owner in many years.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
And as I said earlier, Garde has lots of experience working with development squads as well as first teams. If they want to rebuild, he'd be a great choice. It seems, however, that the board's looking to force him out - can't help thinking that will end badly

I'd be surprised if he didn't walk in the summer tbh. They'll come to the old "mutual agreement", thank him for his services, and bring in the next sap who's mission, should he choose to accept it, is to try and weave a silk purse from a sows ear with that shambles of a club.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
They only spent what they got from Benteke and Delph. There has been no 'investment' as such from the owner in many years.
They spent £8m on top of the money that came in, that they didn't have to spend.

It doesn't matter how you slice it, £52,000,000 was spent.

Those assets were then given to Timmy Sherwood, the rest writes itself.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'd be surprised if he didn't walk in the summer tbh. They'll come to the old "mutual agreement", thank him for his services, and bring in the next sap who's mission, should he choose to accept it, is to try and weave a silk purse from a sows ear with that shambles of a club.

Oh I agree. All the signs are that he's going but he's the sort of manager they do want to build up a side from scratch - he's not a quick fix merchant.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
They spent £8m on top of the money that came in, that they didn't have to spend.

It doesn't matter how you slice it, £52,000,000 was spent.

Those assets were then given to Timmy Sherwood, the rest writes itself.

The Delph deal was supposedly worth more than 8, then there are the undisclosed if you are looking at wiki.

I doubt Lerner has put a penny in. He has wanted his money back for a few years, putting in the minimum amount each year (usually just the profits from player sales) to sustain top flight status.

I am by no means defending Sherwood or anyone else who has walked in and out of that abject job, but you're talking as if splashing 50 odd million should have produced better results. They had nothing other than an ageing agbonlahor who's only ever attribute was pace, now gone, and they had just lost the only 3 things they had going for them, a decent striker (sold), decent midfielder (sold) and a decent defender and captain (career ended through injury). Also Cleverley on loan was doing a job for them, who then opted for Everton. Let's also not forget where they finished that season WITH those players.

Villa haven't had a spine in ages, in more sense than one.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I'm not buying the assumption Villa are so poor they will go down again.

If Learner stays on he must get promoted.

Garde will be gone and replaced by Pearson.
The dead wood will be shipped out or paid off.
There's clearly a crop of talented youngsters.
If they start on the front foot the crowds will soon follow.

Lerner wants out and will not invest further regardless. He is more likely to cut his losses.
They have very few players they can sell to recoup what they spent/still owe on them. Pretty well everyone they bought in the last three years has depreciated in market value.
They have players on long contracts and high wages that they can't afford to pay off.
Not sure there is "clearly" a crop of talented youngsters. Grealish has skill but also has "issues". You won't get promoted from the Championship building a team round him. They have very few seasoned pros who look like they would be up for a battle.
They will try to loan players out but clubs aren't going to pay their full wage.
Two of my lads are Villa fans but I'm afraid I see challenging times ahead.
One thing you are right about is that they will retain a big following just as they did the last time they dipped down from the top flight to the second then third tier.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Don't they have a BERK style transfer operation which is one of the reasons Sherwood gave as he couldn't sign who he wanted ?
If £52,000,000 isn't enough it would appear there has been more than one BERK at play.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here