Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aston Villa

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
To be frank this relegation will do them wonders as they've been crying out for a clear out of dead wood and a rebuilding process will take shape.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
To be frank this relegation will do them wonders as they've been crying out for a clear out of dead wood and a rebuilding process will take shape.

Relegation from the PL very, very rarely proves to do "wonders" for ANY football club. More often than not they sink into oblivion, as any rebuilding process is inevitably hampered by the monster salaries of the failures who got them relegated, in the first place.

Narch and QPR have bounced back up in recent years, just about scraping up through the Playoffs. But there are infinitely more Boltons, Wolves's, Fulhams, Blackburns, Wigans etc etc who just sink without a trace. The state they're in, I'd definitely have Villa marked in the latter category.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Relegation from the PL very, very rarely proves to do "wonders" for ANY football club. More often than not they sink into oblivion, as any rebuilding process is inevitably hampered by the monster salaries of the failures who got them relegated, in the first place.

Narch and QPR have bounced back up in recent years, just about scraping up through the Playoffs. But there are infinitely more Boltons, Wolves's, Fulhams, Blackburns, Wigans etc etc who just sink without a trace. The state they're in, I'd definitely have Villa marked in the latter category.
And how many clubs have sunk into the oblivion or big clubs should I say?The ones that drop through the leagues are smaller clubs who've seriously been punching above their weight or the likes of Leeds who seriously over spent.
Playing in the championship is not sinking without trace is it?
Villa is rotten to the core and they need to rebuild.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
And how many clubs have sunk into the oblivion or big clubs should I say?The ones that drop through the leagues are smaller clubs who've seriously been punching above their weight or the likes of Leeds who seriously over spent.
Playing in the championship is not sinking without trace is it?
Villa is rotten to the core and they need to rebuild.

Leicester, Leeds, Sheff Weds :lolol: , Southampton, Norwich, Wolves, they've all had spells in the 3rd tier - that is sinking without a trace. Wigan have gone. Bolton are on their way. Some have recovered, many have not. I don't see Villa being somehow immune from that fate just because they are Aston Villa.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Leicester, Leeds, Sheff Weds :lolol: , Southampton, Norwich, Wolves, they've all had spells in the 3rd tier - that is sinking without a trace. Wigan have gone. Bolton are on their way. Some have recovered, many have not. I don't see Villa being somehow immune from that fate just because they are Aston Villa.
Yes and how many years is this over?as 90+% will not drop further than the championship :)
It's natural that some will slip the net for numerous reasons.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean

Add Pompey to that list too.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Think they may go straight down to League 1. They'll be stuck with a load of not very good high earners that no club is prepared to take off of them due to wages.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Think they may go straight down to League 1. They'll be stuck with a load of not very good high earners that no club is prepared to take off of them due to wages.

Lerner is also trying to sell the club, hence the severe lack of investment in the team, and short termism in their planning. If he has had no serious interest in the PL, who does he think is going to buy them in the Championship?
He isn't going to get the price he wants for a club with a huge wage bill,players not even Championship standard, and no easy route back to the obscene amount of T.V. money available in the PL

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Crash and burn.
Hard to think of even a handful of the entire squad who would cope with the intensity and the physicality of the Championship.
One problem will be that there are very few players they will be able to offload in order to bring in seasoned second tier players who might help them arrest the decline. They needed to bring in a core of players from the Championship in January - players who would offer a bit of fight in return for a half season at the top and help prepare the way for next season.
The other problem is that there is no-one at Villa Park with the slightest clue how to run a football club :nono:

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Rudy Gestede will be a HUGE asset to them in the Champ if they keep him.

They must have some SERIOUS wages going on with Lescott, Richards, Hutton and Sinclair so would be interesting to see what they do there.

Binning them, letting the likes of Grealish, Clark, Gill, Amavi, Bacuna, Okore and Westwood be the heart of the team with a few talents like Gustede should see them with a good squad for this division.

That, plus a rejuvinted Villa support ( a set of fans who've seen so little excitement over the last 3 years that actually being relegated and winning games again may draw them all back) could see them really be quite strong.

They already had their clearout, the likes of Richards and Lescott were brought in for their experience.

The rot at villa set in long ago, before most people realise. There will be plenty of people who will recollect what they think were the 'glory days' of Martin O'Neill getting them to 5th, and what a great job he did. Truth is it all started with him and his exclusively buy british policy, paying exorbitant amounts in fees and wages for luke warm players. When the clueless owner realised it was unsustainable and with FFP on the horizon he turned them into a selling club.

Off went Barry, Milner, Young, Downing and O'Neill left somewhere in between compounded by the unfortunate loss of Petrov. Then more recently the loss of Vlaar and Benteke. Other than the strange one that was 24m for Bent in a january window, which definitely kept them up that year, there really hasn't been any money spent since.

Ever since then it's been consolidation after consolidation, as if they are preparing for the trip down. Their highest earner is probably someone like Scott Sinclair so I don't think they will be in financial trouble.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Selling all of your best players at once, spunking the best part of £50 million on dross from abroad, appointing a rookie foreign coach then surrendering to relegation with the season barely halfway through is hardly an indicator that they'll bounce straight back to the Prem.

I can't see that they've got much to sell now, many of those failures they brought in last summer from abroad like Amavi, Gueye, Ayew, Veretout, Traore will be on hefty long-term Prem contracts, other like Sinclair, Lescott, Richardson, Agbonlahor, Richards, Hutton will be on big wages and not easy to shift.

It's surely going to take at least three transfer windows to turn their playing staff around so I fancy they'll hover around 7th - 12th next season.

Apropos of nothing, I could see this job being an excellent fit for Gus Poyet.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Selling all of your best players at once, spunking the best part of £50 million on dross from abroad, appointing a rookie foreign coach then surrendering to relegation with the season barely halfway through is hardly an indicator that they'll bounce straight back to the Prem.

I can't see that they've got much to sell now, many of those failures they brought in last summer from abroad like Amavi, Gueye, Ayew, Veretout, Traore will be on hefty long-term Prem contracts, other like Sinclair, Lescott, Richardson, Agbonlahor, Richards, Hutton will be on big wages and not easy to shift.

Richard Dunne and Stephen Ireland were probably on more money than that lot combined. At least a couple of the latter names you mentioned are also on last year.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The other problem is that there is no-one at Villa Park with the slightest clue how to run a football club :nono:

Their CFO resigned a couple of weeks ago but the club kept it quiet. It was only revealed in a filing to Companies House. That's not a good sign

...appointing a rookie foreign coach

Garde was a coach at Lyon for 11 years - including three years as head coach - that's not really a rookie. And having played for Arsenal he wasn't a completely unaware of the PL.

There are many problems at Villa: I think any manager would have struggled there this season. You're right that it will take a few transfer windows to sort it out. I think they're better off sticking with Garde rather than start the process again

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
News tonight is they are looking to offload their CEO, Head of Football and Head of Recruitment this summer at latest with Garde likely to resign if not given control of player recruitment. Trouble is with an owner who doesn't want to be there and unsellable players there doesn't look to be much room for additional transfers in during the summer

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm not buying the assumption Villa are so poor they will go down again.

If Learner stays on he must get promoted.

Garde will be gone and replaced by Pearson.
The dead wood will be shipped out or paid off.
There's clearly a crop of talented youngsters.
If they start on the front foot the crowds will soon follow.

Saturn

Vicarious
Feb 11, 2016
Villa are down, no doubt about it. Whatever EPL quality players they have will probably be asset stripped over the summer which could very realistically lead to them dropped down to League 1 the following season and doing a Leeds.

It really makes you appreciate TB that little bit more.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here