Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aston Villa vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
5 mins 58 seconds of 6 mins injury time. Most of that time wasted by Villa with absolutely no pressure from the ref to play football.

****ing outrageous reffing performance. Up there with the worst we’ve seen this season.
He was poor but it wasn’t even close to the worst we’ve had. Didn’t materially affect the result IMHO.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
The fact we made them properly sweat with us having nothing to play for and us playing with a B team shows the huge gap between us and them. Delighted Spurs end up with nothing, good luck persuading Harry Kane to stay now.
Understand the feelings re Spurs but hate Villa far more.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
:bloom:

Doubt Tony cares one jot, the business was done in the preceding 37 games, against all the odds.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I’m judging him on the amount of wrong decisions. It was astonishing. The fact he didn’t affect the result is pure and utter luck, he seemed to be trying his absolute best.
IMHO he was poor for both sides. Booked fouls which didn’t deserve it, didn’t book ones which did. It was a poor performance but it was equally poor for both sides. Polar opposite of Attwell at Spurs.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Well, f*ck it, what am I going to do for the next few months to fill the void?
Great season, shame we didn't win today and shame Everton didn't drop along with Leeds but overall a fabulous season.

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
Very tough team for you, you need continuity in your game for it to shine and they're proper disruptors all over the pitch. Very stop-and-start. Plus they have a decent defense and the directness and pace of the good counterattacking teams (thankfully less sharpness on the end product though.) They don't sit as deep as other teams who have caused you problems but they were still able to blunt you effectively.

As for the ref, I think it's more that the Villa players are decent at what you English call "the dark arts", and so they know how to constantly skirt the edge of a booking, adapting to the standard the ref sets. And English refs have maybe only recently started learning to be a bit less naïve/oblivious to some tactics.

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
Ah well, a bitter end to what has been an incredible season.

Changed this comment, as previously I stated not to focus too much on the referee and Villa's antics, but it has really grown on me how poor that performance was by the two.

Last edited:

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Well, f*ck it, what am I going to do for the next few months to fill the void?
Great season, shame we didn't win today and shame Everton didn't drop along with Leeds but overall a fabulous season.
Silly season of the transfer window for a start - then there's the pre-season friendlies (US and maybe here?) - and there's the inevitable controversy over the new kit(s)! Loads of fun to keep us busy. :ascarf:

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Christ on a bike, I think even Dyche's Burnley were more likable than Villa. Such a horrible, niggly, dirty, cynical, time wasting, whinging bunch of ****s.

Still, the silver lining is no Europe, no manager and soon to be no Kane for spurs. They and Chelsea should provide us with plenty of entertainment over the barren summer months.
This all day long 👍👍

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
The biggest shithousery team performance I’ve ever seen was Burnley away under Howe/Poyet. This wasn’t even close. Fulham at home this season and Villa at home were both pretty bad. They deserved the win today to be fair.

Quebec Seagull

Vive le football... LIBRE!
Oct 19, 2022
Gatineau, Québec, CANADA
The refs in this league need to be completely overhauled, they are so inept it's laughable, and I get the impression that they all know it and don't care.

Should follow France's example and bring in a few female refs. They're proven to be fairer than their male counterparts in Ligue 1.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
That second half was the worst 50 mins of football I've seen in a very long time

AlexBH

Nov 19, 2017
Dreadful performance from the referee, clearly not up to it. Couldn’t handle all the fouling out there and his decisions were totally random at times. Not a good performance today, we looked sluggish at times, we really need to find a way to overcome these teams like Villa, Newcastle, Everton and Forest who play dirty, direct football roared on by a ferocious crowd, we seem to crumble in these type of games.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here