[Football] Aston Villa relegation watch

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Ever present in The Premiership but not for much longer. All over now.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Jamie Carragher has just said that there isn't a single player in the Aston Villa squad he'd want. There isn't a single Premier League player in the squad, I completely agree with him and have made that point myself, in this thread. Their performance today, individually and collectively was ridiculous. They say you learn more about a player in defeat than in victory, well - what did we learn about Aston Villa players today?

They have nothing. No spirit, no pride, no ability and overall - no class.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Old traditional club if you ask me, with a good history. Much prefer them to the other twats from Brum.

Encouraging for us in a sense that (should we not make it this year) it'll be one club coming down with an owner that has utterly given up and lost his love for football (if he ever had it to start with), and one less for us to worry about. I doubt he will be able to sell the club for a couple of seasons at least, despite it having already been offered publicly for a while now.

Even with the parachutes it's a club with a hierarchy that is renowned for making woeful decision after woeful decision. Only way that club will ever have success again is through a takeover.

Could also be bad for us if we go up, 6 free points lost ;) Perhaps palace will oblige.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Jamie Carragher has just said that there isn't a single player in the Aston Villa squad he'd want. There isn't a single Premier League player in the squad, I completely agree with him and have made that point myself, in this thread. Their performance today, individually and collectively was ridiculous. They say you learn more about a player in defeat than in victory, well - what did we learn about Aston Villa players today?

They have nothing. No spirit, no pride, no ability and overall - no class.
There are some players at Villa who are - or at least have been - decent PL players: Richards, Lescott (England internationals), Richardson, Hutton, Gujan, Cissoko, Hutton, Agbonlahor. Not enough PL players maybe, but there seems to be some sort of incurable malaise at Villa - as you say, no pride, no class.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Only visited Villa once. Not the best of surroundings for a ground but plenty of cheap boozers.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Bet they will be favourites with the bookies to BOUNCE back too

Bet they won't. I reckon they're a good bet to go down. If they're not among the favourites for the drop, I'm going LARGE on them

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Villa are a side who have lost their identity, they used to be a team that would soak up pressure, and with the pace up-front, hit teams on the break.

Watching them today, I had no idea what their game plan was.

I can't think of many championship sides I've seen this season that wouldn't have beaten them today, maybe the Brentford side from last week.

jon12345

Jul 22, 2014
Screen shot 2016-02-14 at 17.35.29.png

Don't think the players are that bothered.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
There are some players at Villa who are - or at least have been - decent PL players: Richards, Lescott (England internationals), Richardson, Hutton, Gujan, Cissoko, Hutton, Agbonlahor. Not enough PL players maybe, but there seems to be some sort of incurable malaise at Villa - as you say, no pride, no class.

None of those players are any good and Aly Cissokho?! :lolol: Good lord, even VILLA loaned him out. They recalled him to avoid having to play Joe Bennett, who they've loaned out twice this season. Alan Hutton and Agbonlahor are very fortunate they've been anywhere near the Premier League for this long and there's a reason why Kieran Richardson flits between clubs every couple of seasons and almost all of them struggle against relegation. Brad Guzan is rightly dropped, he's a shot stopper but all round? Even I would prefer Stockdale to him. I've nothing against Joleon Lescott or Micah Richards but I wouldn't want either of them in our squad, sincerely. Jack Grealish either, the kid has nothing.

Scott Sinclair would be a good option though, he'd need to be interviewed first though - there's a strong chance he's not the sort of person who would suit a tight knit dressing room.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough

You're missing the one player they have that actually IS any good- Jordan Ayew. Bit of an idiot but could go on to be a decent player at PL level if he grows up a bit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports