Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Assuming wages were reasonable, would YOU bring Bobby Zamora back?

Assuming wages were reasonable, would YOU bring Bobby Zamora back?

• Yes I would

Votes: 193 75.4%
  • No I wouldn't

Votes: 63 24.6%

• Total voters

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Crucially, if we had the squad of two to three (4?) years ago, particularly Bridge and Vicente......... then absolutely bloody YES... (this makes me feel a little sad :down:)

With the current squad, then I can only see it as a disappointment - because he could not carry a poor team at his age.

But I voted "yes" because I am a dreamer and I still remember standing behind him in the queue in Sainsburys, Haywards Heath, knowing this young man is going to be a great player for us (but I couldn't possibly speak to him).

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Just repeating what I said on the other thread, of course. It's probably just what the clubs needs commercially and spirit wise after last season. Even if he sits on the bench.

He's the younger generations Peter Ward.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I wouldn't have dreamt of it 18 months ago, but the departures of Barnes, Ulloa and Buckley and their piss poor replacements make it a no brainer

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Yes, would bring a mega-boost to the buzz around the club, destroyed by last season's shambles...

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
The best points made here are about the role Jason Roberts played for Reading but also about his fitness problems. So a contract heavily loaded towards appearances would be the only option that made sense. If other clubs made him better offers, good luck to them and him.

But to the poster who suggested that it is a fallacy that ex-players love the club, I remember Bobby Z coming to watch us play at Withdean on crutches while he was a Fulham player.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
The poll makes the assumption that he would be on reasonable wages. If so, why not? So long as the contract was weighted towards appearances then go for it. He still knows where the goal is. Some of you might have noticed this was a bit of an issue for us last season.

A lot of assumptions there though. Won't happen.

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
People on here think that we want Bobby back to score goals, his prime task would be to hold up play and bring others into the game.we have had no one to do this for the last 2 or 3 seasons. Charlie Austin is a big admirer, enough said.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Commercially it makes sense. It would put more bums on seats and sell shirts which might be a way of funding his wages.
It makes sense also in creating excitement and giving fans and the club generally a lift after last season.
He hasn't really been a central striker/main goalscorer for years but If you had to think of a player that Baldock (or Cclunga if he's back) can play off and get into scoring positions it is probably BZ.

There are two issues I think. First I think Bloom would move for him but would Hughton?
Second, I suspect he is more likely to be MLS-bound as he is a perfect match for them

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Is he still chummy with Nathan Jones?

I'm surprised there are that many against him returning based upon his excellent performances this season for QPR. You are not going to get a full season out of him, that is almost certain, but he managed 31 league and 2 cup appearances last season. My only doubt over him, assuming the £ adds up, is how CH plans to set up next season.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
BZ was a magnificent player for us in his pomp. And has proved himself for years at the top level.

But were he to rejoin us I would not want that memory to be tarnished by a spell of merely ordinary performances or, far worse, hearing such a club hero getting it in the neck from the Amex's worst. So it's a no from me.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Nope. Take the emotion out of it and ask yourself if you'd prefer an injury prone 34 year old who scored three goals last season or a young, hungry player similar to a Callum Wilson. We need to concentrate on finding the latter, not trying to build a time machine.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Nope. Take the emotion out of it and ask yourself if you'd prefer an injury prone 34 year old who scored three goals last season or a young, hungry player similar to a Callum Wilson. We need to concentrate on finding the latter, not trying to build a time machine.
If you took emotion out of it, none of us would be here in the first place.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
If he was fit for at least 75% of the season. Definite YES.

I'd rather use the money on finding the next Ulloa out in Europe or South America.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
If you took emotion out of it, none of us would be here in the first place.

No problem when it comes to the fans but players and managers should come on merit. A 34 year old who's not good enough for one of our competitors and will need replacing at the end of the season isn't the answer. In fact coming back never is. Peter Ward's 2nd spell? No one mentions it. Horton as manager? Didn't quite work out, And as for Mickey Adams II...

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Even though most of us feel we are crying out for strikers I'd still be surprised if more than 1 came in (and that would be at the expense of one leaving I suspect) and I don't think it will be BZ.

With 3 strikers on our books and the manager's preference in seemingly only ever wanting to play one up front, I wouldn't be surprised if he just rotated between O'Grady and Baldock and tried to get the midfield 5 to contribute more.

I'd love to see at least a couple come in but suspect many of us will be disappointed. Just a gut feeling.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
With 3 strikers on our books and the manager's preference in seemingly only ever wanting to play one up front, I wouldn't be surprised if he just rotated between O'Grady and Baldock and tried to get the midfield 5 to contribute more.

I would be surprised and horrified in equal measure if that scenario came to being.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here