[Albion] Assault in away end

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The "problem" with the Marseille match was that irregular attendees (ie, those with not that many points) could attend. I'm not seeking to label all non-regulars as idiots, but there were definitely a bunch of people there whose behaviour was less than ideal. For Ajax and AEK things should be different, given the number of points you need. And of course most EPL away games - especially the attractive London fixtures - have points thresholds that keep the "irregulars" away, for better or worse.
You pretty much have by implication. What you are describing is no different to most of our away games, as most go to Albion +.

el punal

The "problem" with the Marseille match was that irregular attendees (ie, those with not that many points) could attend. I'm not seeking to label all non-regulars as idiots, but there were definitely a bunch of people there whose behaviour was less than ideal. For Ajax and AEK things should be different, given the number of points you need. And of course most EPL away games - especially the attractive London fixtures - have points thresholds that keep the "irregulars" away, for better or worse.
That’s a hell of an expensive game (Marseille) to attend for irregular attendees. I doubt that you’d get much change out of £500 for travel/food/booze/accommodation as a bare minimum. I would suggest that that fixture would be for the real die hard Albion fans rather than the less committed.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
There’s a fair chance he doesn’t post on here or read the Argus and is blissfully unaware that he has been identified.
There an even fairer chance that someone who looks on here, facebook, Twitter, Insta or wherever else the article with his mugshot has been posted knows exactly who he is and will have told him…….

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Local media are full of CCTV images of suspects, including really serious offences like rape, attempted murder etc. that don’t get picked up by national newspapers. They won’t publish a picture of this pissed-up thug for punching someone at a football match. What he did was really nasty but keep a sense of proportion.
Why not? They've been known to publish a picture of some clevor trevers doing a runner from a pub without paying for their meal before now

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Shows how far we've come- it used to be the other way around. That the further an way game was, the less bellends there would be there, and that the London games were the worst for being full of twats. I'm sure there was an official cut-off somewhere on the M1 that meant we'd have nicer fans at a game. @Notters Law I believe it was christened.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
I’ve thought about posting this, and it needs to be called out.

Yes the police, and now the club are aware. And yes, if you have a problem with that, then you’re in the wrong too. This man was out of control.

I’ve cropped out the guys face, as he knows who he is, and others around know who he is. But I’m a totally unprovoked situation he headbutted and hit a totally innocent Albion supporter who I’ve seen at games for 15+ years over asking someone to move seats.

The son of the attacker (in his teenage years) was absolutely distraught and in tears over his fathers actions. I heard them arguing after the game and he wasn’t apologetic for what he’s done.

This is a post to say, I hope you’re caught, and I hope you’re banned for life because what you did genuinely upset a lot of people.

You don’t deserve to watch the Albion.

BOZZA EDIT: I have removed the photo from this post, as the club and Sussex police have been provided with full photographic evidence to enable them to, hopefully, identify the assailant and do what is required.
What a world of difference from my memories from 40 odd years ago. No-one would have given a toss back then, violence at football was practically part of the experience. lines of police dogs, horses pushing fans around, fans pushing horses around, fans getting smashed in, it was nuts. So good things have changed to where they are now.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
There an even fairer chance that someone who looks on here, facebook, Twitter, Insta or wherever else the article with his mugshot has been posted knows exactly who he is and will have told him…….
That would seem to be a more likely scenario. Someone might have told him, but out of some misplaced sense of loyalty, not reported it to the club/police etc.
It's now 12 days since the match, and he still hasn't been identified or come forward.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
That would seem to be a more likely scenario. Someone might have told him, but out of some misplaced sense of loyalty, not reported it to the club/police etc.
It's now 12 days since the match, and he still hasn't been identified or come forward.
Seems crazy. These days its usually 24 hours max before the accused in a crowd gets picked up.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Local media are full of CCTV images of suspects, including really serious offences like rape, attempted murder etc. that don’t get picked up by national newspapers. They won’t publish a picture of this pissed-up thug for punching someone at a football match. What he did was really nasty but keep a sense of proportion.
I’m not suggesting it will be front page, but they post all sorts of stuff on their websites. They ran with the story about a guy being pushed over at the game. They also ran @TWOCHOICEStom ipad theft. If it can generate a few clicks they’ll go for it….which an item relating to an EPL team will most likely do.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Just guessing but maybe he has turned himself in (or has been turned in) and is helping the club and police with the investigation.

I’m sure Darren Balkham keeps an eye on these threads and will hopefully keep us updated when he’s allowed.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Thank you.

I just saw what happened and knew something needed to happen.

Too often people can sit by and think things can be too difficult or that nothing will get done. I wasn't prepared to let that be the case here.

Football is my 'special place', I know that sounds silly, but even into my thirties I have this almost magical view of watching it and especially Albion. This person needed to be stopped as these spaces can't be taken away from the enjoyment I and thousands of others have.

Also, put simply, violence is never acceptable, especially against someone innocent as was the case here.

I do, genuinely feel sorry for his son though, because he had no choice in what happened. I hope that he is still able to watch us play.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports