Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Assault in away end

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
You'd be surprised, my state school played a few games against public schools and they were always the worst batterings we got. The public schools have always given burseries to freakishly huge kids to improve their teams and market themselves to the upper middle classes better
Having gone to public school (poor but bright in the old assisted place days) I can confirm that, though the advantage of much more games time and generally being better fed is a big factor.
Worst I came across was playing an U16s match and on the opposition was a 6'5 man, clearly capable of growing a full beard, with thighs bigger than my waist. Theoretically I applaud having an African scholarship scheme that reaches places where people don't have birth certificates, but I remember being distinctly annoyed at having to tackle him.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Cocaine doesn't really make people violent, it gives violent people an excuse to be violent. Most of my mates like a line now and then on a night out and I can hand on heart say that the only two who are likely to get mouthy; let alone punchy, after a bag are the two who are very likely to get mouthy when entirely sober too. The rest of them might get a bit emotional or chew your ear off, but that's about it.

If anything it's more likely to be the fact he didn't have any packet to sober* him up and didn't know his limits when he hasn't got a crutch to support his drinking. If he's used to sinking 10 pints and working through a bag at any away game then it would make total sense for the first game where you'd have to smuggle drugs through border control is the first time (that we know of) where he gets too drunk and lashes out.

*I know it doesn't technically sober you up, but it certainly helps you hold yourself together.

The police and experts say it's the combination of alcohol and cocaine, that leads to violence. Obviously in the wrong person.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Cocaine doesn't really make people violent, it gives violent people an excuse to be violent. Most of my mates like a line now and then on a night out and I can hand on heart say that the only two who are likely to get mouthy; let alone punchy, after a bag are the two who are very likely to get mouthy when entirely sober too. The rest of them might get a bit emotional or chew your ear off, but that's about it.

If anything it's more likely to be the fact he didn't have any packet to sober* him up and didn't know his limits when he hasn't got a crutch to support his drinking. If he's used to sinking 10 pints and working through a bag at any away game then it would make total sense for the first game where you'd have to smuggle drugs through border control is the first time (that we know of) where he gets too drunk and lashes out.

*I know it doesn't technically sober you up, but it certainly helps you hold yourself together.
Yep. A **** is a **** with or without mind alteration.

And these days even merely being pissed is no longer an excuse for giving the missus a slap. Rightly so.

For nice people, synaptic enhancement simply extends the net that catches people who are 'my best mate, you are'. Fact.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The police and experts say it's the combination of alcohol and cocaine, that leads to violence. Obviously in the wrong person.
In the four pubs I owed the most trouble I had always seemed to be cider drinkers.

I encountered white powder sniffers once, they left the pub only after they cleared the mess up in the toilets. Their powder turned red, funny that.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yeah, maybe. The point I'm trying to make is going "well, he probably had too much cocaine" is stupid because A) the point people are making isn't accurate in the first place but is just parroted ad nauseam and B) it takes away a lot of the personal responsibility from the dickhead who did it. The two people I know who are twats after a line I no longer go out with because them getting in a ruck with a similarly minded bellend on a night out and then bemoaning the fact the Charlie made them aggressive the next day gets tiring very quickly. Even if it was true, they know it has that effect and still decide to do it rather than take responsibility. Same with this guy, him being able to shrug it off as too much drink, or too many drugs means he doesn't have to take full responsibility for his being a waste of skin.

As for the second point... :shrug: People doing drugs, whether they're legal or illegal is never going to change. The sooner we have a grown up conversation about decriminalising drugs the better. The current system is like the weediest kid in Year 7 trying to fight the Year 12 Rugby team. It's only going to end one way.
ps I recall you having a tough time stuck on your own during covid. Pleased to see that (it seems) you have reconnected with a peer group you can relate to, to misquote Douglas Adams. :thumbsup:

(and noting a previous comment of mine about dicks on coke at football; the key word there, that I should have emphasized, was dicks)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
In the four pubs I owed the most trouble I had always seemed to be cider drinkers.

I encountered white powder sniffers once, they left the pub only after they cleared the mess up in the toilets. Their powder turned red, funny that.

The Wurzles particularly violent?

Was it a youngsters thing .... cidar or snakebite in our teen years, so incredibly potent.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The Wurzles particularly violent?

Was it a youngsters thing .... cidar or snakebite in our teen years, so incredibly potent.
Oddly the ones I encountered were all in their 30's. Perhaps they hadn't grown up.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
This thread is in danger of being derailed by discussions on state/private education and drug use, interesting though they may be.

The subject matter of this thread is an assault. An unprovoked attack on two completely innocent people. While education level and substance abuse may or may not be factors in violent behaviour, there is no excuse for headbutting someone in an unprovoked attack. None.

BiffyBoy100

Apr 20, 2020
I have never been so confused by a post, so I’m just going to say okay and carry on with my day.

Okay.
Sorry for the confusion. I liked your post, I just thought the analogy was terrible.

Like using a well versed vocabulary to show you’re smart and then use no instead of know!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yep. A **** is a **** with or without mind alteration.
Many years ago, after an Albion game in Bristol, me and some mates tried to get into a late night bar. We were all very drunk and the door man asked us all to get in the queue. We obeyed and kind of lined up along a wall, and after a short while I smiled and went “erm, there isn’t actually a queue”. Bouncer pointed out we were really drunk and he just wanted to test if we were “stupid drunk or aggressive drunk”. He smiled and said we seemed to be of the stupid variety and could come in. I took this as a compliment

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Sorry for the confusion. I liked your post, I just thought the analogy was terrible.

Like using a well versed vocabulary to show you’re smart and then use no instead of know!

If the smallest/weediest kid in Year 7 started a fight with his schools entire Year 12 rugby team then he might get a hit or two in. If he’s extremely lucky he might even give one of them a black eye or a nosebleed - more by luck then judgement. However it’s a minor victory that just delays the inevitable. they have absolutely no chance of winning and they’re going to get a pretty severe beating

If an understaffed Police force who have their budget slashed every and have follow the law try and stop international crime syndicates from importing and selling drugs then they might catch the odd supplier, they might even intercept the odd shipment. But they’re never going to win. The war on drugs is war that can’t be won.

Hope that clears up the point I was trying to make.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
ps I recall you having a tough time stuck on your own during covid. Pleased to see that (it seems) you have reconnected with a peer group you can relate to, to misquote Douglas Adams. :thumbsup:

(and noting a previous comment of mine about dicks on coke at football; the key word there, that I should have emphasized, was dicks)

Cheers mate!

Probably in the most mentally stable state I’ve been in since I was about 12/13. Couple of years off Anti-Depressants, reconciled with family I fell out with & slowly working on improving myself.

Long way to go but night and day compared to Covid times! :kiss:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Cheers mate!

Probably in the most mentally stable state I’ve been in since I was about 12/13. Couple of years off Anti-Depressants, reconciled with family I fell out with & slowly working on improving myself.

Long way to go but night and day compared to Covid times! :kiss:
:bowdown:

Made my day, reading that.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Well thats good news.

"Sussex Police published a security camera picture today (Monday 16 October) and urged the man to come forward."

Which means the police have an individual they want to talk to, (pictured in article) and you'd assume/hope the incident in question, from Marseille CCTV.

Now its public and published (from police)........ "allegedly" same chap @Kuipers Supporters Club ?

Last edited:

el punal

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here