Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Assault in away end

Pretty Plnk Fairy

NSC Patron
Jan 30, 2008
If your post match comments are talking about the incident outside F Pub - then that was a fully justified response from some of our lot, and to suggest otherwise is complete and utter nonsense

Should add for context - these were two Marseille fans who crossed the road (bizarrely past the waiting police) to walk through a group of Brighton fans, giving a load of stick and seeking to provoke a reaction.. which they duly got

Keep going, I’m nearly at the vinegar strokes.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Unfortunately this is the one of the downsides of our incredible journey.

The Albion links so many people who would never have met otherwise, but the flip side is with eclectic mix going right across the demographic as we’ve climbed the leagues we have ‘inherited’ pond life/genuine scumbags amongst the support.

Nothing on this scale, but we had a couple of Albion ‘fans’ at the bar* we were drinking in post match overdosed on bravery tablets who thought it would be a good idea to attack two Marseille fans who were basically giving a bit of banter walking past.

Thankfully the Police moved in quickly to break it all up, but it was totally unnecessary.

*A bar at which the Police were effectively protecting us with at least 4 riot vans after alleged intel the Ultras were coming calling for the second successive night.

Question, if this disgusting assault ends up in court, would it have to be in front of a French magistrate?
It’s people like this that end up being responsible for getting innocent fans stabbed. Wankers.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Unfortunately this is the one of the downsides of our incredible journey.

The Albion links so many people who would never have met otherwise, but the flip side is with eclectic mix going right across the demographic as we’ve climbed the leagues we have ‘inherited’ pond life/genuine scumbags amongst the support.

Nothing on this scale, but we had a couple of Albion ‘fans’ at the bar* we were drinking in post match overdosed on bravery tablets who thought it would be a good idea to attack two Marseille fans who were basically giving a bit of banter walking past.

Thankfully the Police moved in quickly to break it all up, but it was totally unnecessary.

*A bar at which the Police were effectively protecting us with at least 4 riot vans after alleged intel the Ultras were coming calling for the second successive night.

Was this the F Pub, as mentioned by a post following yours?

I ask as we walked past that on our short walk back from the bus drop-off point back to where we'd parked the car. A couple of minutes beyond the F Pub - which I noticed was quite busy as we went by - we encountered quite a large group of "unfriendly" locals who tried to engage with us. It seemed strange for them to be loitering around where they were. If there was a lot of Albion fans in the F Pub, that would probably explain their presence.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I didn’t see the incident in question, but there were a fair few complete idiots at the game (and I mean BHA fans). One guy constantly abusing the home fans to our right, hours before kickoff. And the area to our right had the corporates and normal family types - NOT Ultras! Why do people do that sort of thing? Ok - no violence, but pathetic in the extreme.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
If your post match comments are talking about the incident outside F Pub - then that was a fully justified response from some of our lot, and to suggest otherwise is complete and utter nonsense

Should add for context - these were two Marseille fans who crossed the road (bizarrely past the waiting police) to walk through a group of Brighton fans, giving a load of stick and seeking to provoke a reaction.. which they duly got
It was a bit of banter old boy, to which a casual ‘jog on’ or even a light hearted ‘f*** off’ response would have sufficed. To start throwing punches was not justified In any way, with the very welcome protection of the French old bill we were all enjoying a welcome beer after the bus trip from hell in a half decent bar.

Thankfully, and somewhat surprisingly, the Gendarmes shut it down without lifting anyone.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
One of those situations where you can see both sides of the argument. In Switzerland using a dash cam is (or was) forbidden as you are filming numerous cars and pedestrians without their specific permission. It was v difficult to use dash cam footage in court for instance, or on YouTube. (They may have relaxed the law now.) That seems over zealous though you can understand that it's a well meaning principle.
I agree. But in a situation like this, the assault would outweigh the privacy issue, you’d imagine, in most developed societies.

Saying that, I only have an understanding of UK law, and GDPR, so I’m not going to pretend to know about privacy laws in other countries.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

Should add for context - these were two Marseille fans who crossed the road (bizarrely past the waiting police) to walk through a group of Brighton fans, giving a load of stick and seeking to provoke a reaction.. which they duly got:
:facepalm: from me too. Grow up.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I agree. But in a situation like this, the assault would outweigh the privacy issue, you’d imagine, in most developed societies.

Saying that, I only have an understanding of UK law, and GDPR, so I’m not going to pretend to know about privacy laws in other countries.
Depends on the motive for posting pictures. I think we agree in principle though the issue with posting pictures of an alleged assault is that it can prejudice a trial. It’s justified if the authorities are struggling to identify someone but if they know who it is (which seems likely here) it’s best not to post pics before a trial. If there isn’t going to be a trial, there’s an argument that says the pictures should be published to warn the public that this bloke is violent and can’t control his drinking.

Last edited:

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I didn’t see the incident in question, but there were a fair few complete idiots at the game (and I mean BHA fans). One guy constantly abusing the home fans to our right, hours before kickoff. And the area to our right had the corporates and normal family types - NOT Ultras! Why do people do that sort of thing? Ok - no violence, but pathetic in the extreme.
Had exactly the same last season at Fulham away. Bunch of late teens out of their heads on booze and one looked on the white powder. From the kick off they barely watched the game but instead were giving dogs abuse to a bunch of Fulham fans who were never going to want to engage.

At one point one of my mates suggested they pipe down and actually watch the game. The coked up one encouraged by his mates eyeballed my mate about an inch from his face and whilst frothing at the mouth.

My mate did well to ignore. When the game finished there was still more snarling and one did have a half hearted attempt at crossing the gap between us and their fans. This did get the attention of their stewards.

It was pathetic and I recall the club clampdown on passing on away tickets came into force.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Obviously share the absolute revulsion at this arsehole’s actions. We all know it could just as easily happened to any one of us, at any away game.

was going to say similar.
Well, if this an actual risk at away games then we can’t go. If my wife or I go to get a drink at half time and a drunk takes the seat we would certainly say something. If I get hit and lose blood I likely die. I am going to feel uncomfortable until the perpetrator is caught, banned and prosecuted. I don’t want him or anyone like him anywhere near me.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Just awful this. Doesn't get better as time passes.

I wonder if the perp will keep a low profile today.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
If anybody attends a football game feels they need to reply to banter from opposition fans with aggression they should stop going
Absolutely. But when the idiotocracy are tanked up on bravery brew or have snorted a dose of charlie chalk, we know how that usually pans out....

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Depends on the motive for posting pictures. I think we agree in principle though the issue with posting pictures of an alleged assault is that it can prejudice a trial. It’s justified if the authorities are struggling to identify someone but if they know who it is (which seems likely here) it’s best not to post pics before a trial. If there isn’t going to be a trial, there’s an argument that says the pictures should be published to warn the public that this bloke is violent and can’t control his drinking.
I don’t think you’re prejudicing anything if you watch an assault take place and you take a photo of the assailant to help the police catch them. All that’s doing is affirming your testimony.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Absolutely. But when the idiotocracy are tanked up on bravery brew or have snorted a dose of charlie chalk, we know how that usually pans out....
These so called "ard nuts"....... take away any one of 3 things and it wouldn't happen.

Immaturity.
Booze/drugs.
Barrier to away fans.

A bit more wisdom, a lot less booze/drugs or lack of an effective barrier/police/stewards to keep the opposition away and suddenly they're not so hard.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here