Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aside from a house or car what is your most expensive purchase?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Now extremely elderly Mac Dual G4 audio production machine cost a few thousand when new, other than that single item wise it'd be the sale value of many phones over the years but bought on subsidised contracts - so I wasn't paying 600-700 quid for them. Even in the house my couch was bought from a store liquidation marked from 2495 to 445.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Has to be holidays I would assume

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
About 10 years ago, my kids were just getting towards teenage years and the Mrs decided we needed a bigger fridge to replace the one built into the kitchen.

She found a free standing large stainless steel fridge which, although pricey, would do the job so I agreed to buy it. Of course, it didn't fit into the kitchen layout, so we had to have a new kitchen installed and if that was being done, she decided it would be good to extend the kitchen into a dining area by knocking out a wall into the back lounge. The back lounge was bigger than required, so the wall between the front and back lounges was moved to use the extra space and make the front lounge larger. This also meant that the flooring in both the new extended kitchen and new extended lounge would both have to be replaced. This whole job was going to take approximately 2 weeks, so to keep out of the way of the builders she booked a ski holiday for the whole family.

That f******g fridge cost me somewhere north of 30K and then went wrong last year and had to be replaced :angry::angry::angry::censored:

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
A few ugly and over priced watches, wife's description. Only things apart from the house that have gone up in value.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Another one with a 27in iMac, although my log cabin/office probably works out more expensive than that if you include fixtures and fittings, plasterboarding/insulation, etc. The base structure was probably about the same.

However the 'most expensive purchase' could become a new road bike when I get around to finding the right over the course of the next few coming months.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Holidays, I work hard for them. About 15% of my money goes on them. Other than that I never buy expensive stuff. Retirement is too close and it's time to save.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
My bicycle. £1500 and ongoing improvements...

I intend to spend more than that on an upgrade in the next couple of years.

TaxiRichieUK

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
My bicycle. £1500 and ongoing improvements...

I intend to spend more than that on an upgrade in the next couple of years.

A decent bike about 150 notes down halfords mate, or if your brave enough, when you see a nice bike chained up somewhere just use a pair of boltcroppers on it and ride it away, bob's your uncle

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
A decent bike about 150 notes down halfords mate, or if your brave enough, when you see a nice bike chained up somewhere just use a pair of boltcroppers on it and ride it away, bob's your uncle

I take it you are originally from the Croydon area ? :lolol:

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
After property, cars and holidays I guess many on here will be committing a decent sum on their pension contributions - or on whatever provision they are making for their futures.

Technically it is an investment rather than a cost because there is eventually a pay back - but it will be a significant outgoing during all those years whilst you are making contributions. Especially when you are younger, maybe less able to afford them and certainly don't feel sexy because it is a big chunk of money that is locked away until a future date that seems way over the horizon.

There will also be others whose circumstances mean they cannot invest for the future..................or deliberately opt to 'live today and worry about tomorrow later'.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I've got a big cock.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
My static caravan in Hastings

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
There are a heck of a lot of weekend 'born again bikers'..........and cyclists around - many with very tasty machinery and the personal kit to go with it. Many have more than one bike (ahem).

Plus a lot of punters with boats and jet skis. Shows there is still a fair bit of disposable income sloshing about (unless those credit cards are still getting max-ed out :eek:).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here