Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Agree totally. Twenty goals in his first full season were all tap ins.

Leading scorer in our first Championship season was due to flukes.

Scoring against Manchester City, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal? Anyone can do it, all the hard work was done by other players, he just had to do the easy bit.

Let's not forget the one he scored against Bournemouth either - bloody fluke, pretty much just hit him on the way in and he had the cheek to claim it. Starts around 27 seconds

https://youtu.be/37Ion4y0b7o?t=27s

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
To be honest, I don't think Barnes was ever as good as the most optimistic supporters said or as bad as the moaners claimed. Moments of brilliance, but also moments of petulance that cost us. Now he's grown up a bit, he'd probably be a top striker in this division... Doesn't have the greatest chance conversion rate but a team player who gives 100% wherever he's played.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
To be honest, I don't think Barnes was ever as good as the most optimistic supporters said or as bad as the moaners claimed. Moments of brilliance, but also moments of petulance that cost us. Now he's grown up a bit, he'd probably be a top striker in this division... Doesn't have the greatest chance conversion rate but a team player who gives 100% wherever he's played.

This is it !!!

D

Deleted member 2719

Barnesy was a cult just like Mr Crumplin, anything could happen with him on the field, i mean what player kicks a ref, a proper cult.

Barneys you legend. :bowdown:

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Never has a distinctly average player been so vehemently lauded by so many.
The reason for the groan when he grabbed the ball for the penalty was his ability to not be able to hit a cows arse with a banjo on his previous attempts.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We could do with him now, for sure. Always liked him, actually, shame we didn't have him on a longer contract, and had to cash in on him when we did.

The squad is 2 strikers short, unless Hambo really is a young Zlatan.

We need someone to get the 3 points in cup games [emoji38]ol:

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Barnes was brilliant. Consistently.

And you people who are taking El Presidente's posts at face value...dear God, whoooooooosh!

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Never has a distinctly average player been so vehemently lauded by so many.
The reason for the groan when he grabbed the ball for the penalty was his ability to not be able to hit a cows arse with a banjo on his previous attempts.

And of course - whenever Barnes' goal scoring record was argued, apparently penalties didn't count. (And he didn't miss many pens)

In a team full of flair players like Vicente, Orlandi, Spanish Dave, Buckley, Ulloa, Bridge etc. Barnes glued it all together, tenacious, hard working, made goals as well as scored important goals... Invaluable defensively also, he allowed those flair players to play.

Watch the highlights and see who the player is that Vicente strikes up an understanding with most, who scores pens under pressure at Selhurst, who put a ball on a plate with a delicious cross for Ulloa against Arsenal (and scoring himself), and who was inches away twice from scoring in both playoff semis which could have been v different.

Barnes wasn't and isn't a brilliant player, he isn't as skilful as some, isn't prolific and isn't quick. He is however a very important team player - which in some games is far more important than the flairniacs of this world - as his current and previous managers will vouch for.

I also miss Barnes :(

Jan 10, 2014
The game against Man City away was one of the best target man forward performances that you'll ever see.

He absolutely terrorised and bullied the French and Argie international centre backs.

Ashley Drogba

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Yep, heard in North

Yeah deffo. Balls of steel to take that pen. I heard plenty afterwards who were previously down on the fella acknowledge that at least. Personally I liked the cut of his jib & reckon he would have become a bit of a ledge had he stayed. Aye I like Ashley I do.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Agree totally. Twenty goals in his first full season were all tap ins.

Leading scorer in our first Championship season was due to flukes.

Scoring against Manchester City, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal? Anyone can do it, all the hard work was done by other players, he just had to do the easy bit.

Just don't understand the Barnes haters, he was one of the hardest working on the pitch and scored regulary

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
*Hammond slightly misjudges the strength of a pass*

Half of West Upper: "Oh ****ing HELL Barnes, what are you DOING"

There was a time that always sticks in my mind. Sat near the north end, we had a corner at the south end. Corner is put in and is half cleared by the defence

"What was that, Barnes?! It didn't beat the first man"

The half clearance falls to a brighton player, whose shot is blocked.

"FFS, Barnes"

The block falls to a third player whose shot goes over

"C'mon, Barnes! Wasting the shot again"

All three comments came from the same person, and were entirely serious. Blamed him for the corner and both shots. None of them were Barnes.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
could anyone, maybe one of the detractors, explain seriously what was supposedly bad about Barnes? as i recall the only problem he had (over any other player we've seen at Falmer) was a petulent streak that cost a few free kicks/cards. to say he was average would be an opinion, to say he was shite, i just dont understand.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
He may be saying nice words about us, and I don't doubt his sincerity for a minute. However, if he was fit and playing on Sunday he'd still have that nasty edge to him and think nothing of squaring up to any of his old mates.
Yes, petulant at times, but always 100% effort for the team, and that above all else was what I loved about him. The very antithesis of your Ryan Harley types.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Barnes was brilliant. Consistently.

And you people who are taking El Presidente's posts at face value...dear God, whoooooooosh!

I'm amazed it got this far before someone pointed out the whooooooooshes. El pres has bagged a few there good and proper :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here