Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Its not that people were ' Barnes haters ' Sadly, he has nothing between his ears. He does have ability but he lets himself and his teammates down constantly. BHA fans seem to forget all the rash moments here. The eight game ban, when we had no other fit strikers. The sending off v Burnley, when we had already lost Vincelot in the first five mins. He has a nasty streak in him which he can't control. His petulance is apparent every game he plays and its usually only a matter of time before he loses it. His challenges v Chelsea were appalling.
He'll never change. Its inherently part of his character and I wouldn't have a player back who can't be trusted.

What a load of crap! He's had 4 bookings this season and the 2 yellows on Saturday, which on review were very harsh. He got just 4 booking for the whole of last season too. Of course as well as getting send off for us twice in 2012/13, he notched up 9 goals and we finished 4th. Then when we won the title got 20 goals for 7 bookings.

Inherently part of his character because he's made one or two mistakes as a young lad in his early 20's over the course of 5 or seasons! Do me a favour.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Its not that people were ' Barnes haters ' Sadly, he has nothing between his ears. He does have ability but he lets himself and his teammates down constantly. BHA fans seem to forget all the rash moments here. The eight game ban, when we had no other fit strikers. The sending off v Burnley, when we had already lost Vincelot in the first five mins. He has a nasty streak in him which he can't control. His petulance is apparent every game he plays and its usually only a matter of time before he loses it. His challenges v Chelsea were appalling.
He'll never change. Its inherently part of his character and I wouldn't have a player back who can't be trusted.

Spoken like the sort of buffoon who rates CMS. :lolol:

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
If Ashley Barnes came back to the Albion and scored 20 goals with no cards and 20 assists and didnt trip the ref once ,people would still say he was crap .....
Mind you I shouldnt think he would take a second glance at the Albion now regardless what they offered him ,and is probably extremely thankful we didnt offer any more at the time .

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012
Barnes was able consistently to get on the same wavelength as Vicente, unlike a lot of other players. Absolutely laughable to say he has nothing between his ears.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Did nothing wrong against Chelsea, Mad attempt at 1st tackle saturday, unlucky with 2nd yellow. Been a hard working, goalscoring premier league starter all season

What I would have given to have seen Ashley Barnes do for us, what he has done for Burnley this year - proper flair :(

Jan 10, 2014
You could tell early on in the game against Everton that he was going to get himself into trouble. I don't mean his tackling or his usual getting stuck in, I mean him swearing and ranting at the ref every time a decision went against him.That's what I would like to see him change because that is what gets him into trouble more than his tackling or his swashbuckling style.

A lot of Burnley fans including me wanted to see Barnes back up front alongside Ings for the game against Everton, as Vokes hasn't been at the races and Barnes has had some tremendous games for us up top.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I am not sure that 5 PL goals in 31 appearances is that great, do you?..... he may be raking in the cash, but I would rate success by more than just that measure.

Fortunately all those who rated Barnes in his time here saw that he brought a MASSIVE amount other than goals to the side. I'm sure Burnley value his contribution this season, as he keeps getting in.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Barnes attracted more than his fair share of critics because he always had the confidence to take a shot, and sometimes they were a bit wayward. But the point was he got into a shooting position and had the guts to take some responsibility, which is what we've lacked for ages. The ball gets passed around aimlessly on the edge of the box until a tackle goes in or the ball gets passed back to the centre circle and the "attack" breaks down. Whatever you may think of Barnes' technical ability - and I think he was underrated in that respect - he had aggression and confidence that is sorely lacking in the current team.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Barnes attracted more than his fair share of critics because he always had the confidence to take a shot, and sometimes they were a bit wayward. But the point was he got into a shooting position and had the guts to take some responsibility, which is what we've lacked for ages. The ball gets passed around aimlessly on the edge of the box until a tackle goes in or the ball gets passed back to the centre circle and the "attack" breaks down. Whatever you may think of Barnes' technical ability - and I think he was underrated in that respect - he had aggression and confidence that is sorely lacking in the current team.

I still remember vividly being stood on the North Stand concourse engaged in conversation with friends, then people around us too, and all universally dumbfounded that in going for the playoffs we were letting Barnes go in January. It really felt like the last of our attacking side from the League One champions side was being let go, we didn't build on that legacy, we broke it up.

Saddens me the money we spent on CMS, Upson, Baldock, all our loan dealings, and ultimately in Elphick, Cook, Dunk, Murray, Barnes - we had the core of a great side right under our noses. Instead, we splashed the cash, overspent, overreached and here we are, staring relegation in the face, when actually, we weren't far off with the side we came up with.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here