Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Can't think of an ex-player I've been happier to see do well.

Sure he was a bit of an idiot sometimes, but he was OUR idiot.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Who says I'm angry? That was a "How the f*ck would I know?" not a "How the f*ck would I know!!!". He clearly states that our Ash brings a lot more than goals, who would know that unless they watch a lot of Burnley? I can't believe MOTD have had a 'look how much Ashley Barnes contributes in the 5 out of 6 games he doesn't score in' section, if they have had then please share.

They didn't, but they did a focus on him in the Man City game which pointed out his hold up play, positional movement and link up play were very good. All things that were apparent when he was a Brighton player, so it stands to reason that he has carried that into other matches due to it being the way he plays the game.

I love Barnes though and I have done since he first signed for us on loan, so I'll admit a bit of pro-Barnes-bias here.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Pleased to see he is doing well, would bite Burnleys hand off to bring him back. Brought alot to the team and was a fantastic proffesional.

The reason i created an account on here was to voice my opinion on how much Ashley brought to the team when everyone was slating him.

You can tell that by your user name iloveashleybarnessodontaccusemeofbeinganaftertimer

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I remember Barnes scoring a header for us against Southampton when we drew 2-2 in Poyets 1st season. It wasn't so much his technical ability which stood out that night, but he's ability to read the game. 5 seasons since and he's doing exactly what he does best in the Prem.

His positional awareness always had him in the right place at the right time. He always looked like scoring when playing upfront for us. Ridiculous how much crap he took considering.

Murray and Barnes upfront has to be one of the best strike forces we've had. How many goals did they rack up together during our title winning season?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Whilst sat on the seafront yesterday in the sunshine I got chatting to a bloke sat on the next table about initially the rugby game on Friday, but after getting round to the brighton game he started talking about an ex brighton player who was doing really well at his new club.

Turned out he was referring to barnes and he was involved with the England coaching set up looking at players who do not normally get a look in. It was really interesting how the home nations are now looking at every home grown player to see if they could fit into a system which doesn't rely on foreign talent. Burnley are one of the teams hodgeson thinks will be a great model for England moving forward.

He was a very interesting chap who seemly plied his trade at Blackburn and Stoke before being injured and moving into coaching at a young age. He has been with the England set up for about 15 years...

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Can't think of an ex-player I've been happier to see do well.

Sure he was a bit of an idiot sometimes, but he was OUR idiot.
I am not sure that 5 PL goals in 31 appearances is that great, do you?..... he may be raking in the cash, but I would rate success by more than just that measure.

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
I do get some stick from mates who thought I was a 'Barnes hater', well I was not, I just got so frustrated with his moods and sulks and stupid fouls, which I understand Burnley fans are saying as well. He has the abiility, that was the most annoying thing for me, and if he can an attitute change, he could have and still can be a very good player. Seems like he has not learnt yet from the MOTD highlights I saw. Pity as he has something, good positional play, can head and use both feet, but that brain needs sorting for me. Oh I did have Ashley Barnes Mug, until I broke it by accident, so must have loved him???

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I am not sure that 5 PL goals in 31 appearances is that great, do you?..... he may be raking in the cash, but I would rate success by more than just that measure.

He's been superb in the PL this season. I'd rate success as a 25 year old whose previous club didn't rate him enough to give him a bigger contract has gone on to get automatic promotion, and absolutely nail down a starting place in the Premier League. That he has gone on to score 5 goals in largely a supporting striker / midfield role is probably a bonus to him. Even in relegation he can be rightly proud of what he's achieved, and he'll be an even better player in the Championship next season. What measure would you use?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
He was desperately unlucky to get sent off on Saturday, as Paul Merson said "Ashley Barnes has got 2 yellows for enthusiasm". Meanwhile Mirallas tries to break someone's leg and it's just a booking. How unjust the game is sometimes.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I do get some stick from mates who thought I was a 'Barnes hater', well I was not, I just got so frustrated with his moods and sulks and stupid fouls, which I understand Burnley fans are saying as well. He has the abiility, that was the most annoying thing for me, and if he can an attitute change, he could have and still can be a very good player. Seems like he has not learnt yet from the MOTD highlights I saw. Pity as he has something, good positional play, can head and use both feet, but that brain needs sorting for me. Oh I did have Ashley Barnes Mug, until I broke it by accident, so must have loved him???

Its not that people were ' Barnes haters ' Sadly, he has nothing between his ears. He does have ability but he lets himself and his teammates down constantly. BHA fans seem to forget all the rash moments here. The eight game ban, when we had no other fit strikers. The sending off v Burnley, when we had already lost Vincelot in the first five mins. He has a nasty streak in him which he can't control. His petulance is apparent every game he plays and its usually only a matter of time before he loses it. His challenges v Chelsea were appalling.
He'll never change. Its inherently part of his character and I wouldn't have a player back who can't be trusted.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Its not that people were ' Barnes haters ' Sadly, he has nothing between his ears.
Yeah there were. It wasn't just about his rash mistakes, a lot of fans just thought he wasn't good enough.

His challenges v Chelsea were appalling.
You mean the one where he had the ball and was on the receiving end of a late challenge by the Chelsea player - the one where none of the Chelsea players thought he'd done anything wrong, apart from the one that lunged in (Matic I think).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here