Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Barnes played 514mins more than CMS last season, an equivalent of just over 5.5 games (including cup games). Yes, CMS scored more in less time last season, but highlighting CMS having half a season and not acknowledging Barnes missed almost as much is deceptive.

We also should acknowledge the season before where CMS played the equivalent of over 3 games more than Barnes (including cup games), yet Barnes scored 14 to CMS's 10 (all competitions).

Stop writing positive things about Barnes who cost next to nothing but has still scored the same as CMS who cost 3m

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Am I the only one on here that thinks Barnes is shit and would welcome his sell to Burnley?

More natural finisher than CMS?

The bloke is pants, pure and simple. Cue outrage from other BHA fans, but IMO he is RUBBISH

Nope, you're not the only one. You're still completely wrong though.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
If you were Barnes and the interest from Celtic was genuine, would you sign for them on the strength of that Champs League draw?

Yes, especially if they wanted me to play in my favoured position. The away fixtures to Motherwell and Hibs are worth the sacrifice for playing Ajax, AC Milan and Barcelona.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I still think Barnes is the best FINISHER at the club. Far better than Ulloa with his feet. I would welcome his and LuaLua's sale to facilitate a new left winger and a new striker.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
I still think Barnes is the best FINISHER at the club. Far better than Ulloa with his feet. I would welcome his and LuaLua's sale to facilitate a new left winger and a new striker.

That makes you a MENTALIST.

Barnes is a better finisher that Ulloa? You know finishing involves more than just tapping the ball in the net with your feet. Which Barnes can barely do. Jesus Christ. If you think Barnes is a better finisher than Ulloa then you need a lobotomy.

My favourite thing about the Barnes lickers is that they are exactly the same the chumps who "understand football" and who "really understand what Gary Dicker does". **** off. You're all stupid. He's in League One now. Ashley Barnes will be in League One soon as well. I am sure you will all be able to admire what he brings to the team there. Sure, he plays the Heskey role, *****.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

Barnes is a better finisher that Ulloa? You know finishing involves more than just tapping the ball in the net with your feet. Which Barnes can barely do. Jesus Christ. If you think Barnes is a better finisher than Ulloa then you need a lobotomy.

My favourite thing about the Barnes lickers is that they are exactly the same the chumps who "understand football" and who "really understand what Gary Dicker does". **** off. You're all stupid. He's in League One now. Ashley Barnes will be in League One soon as well. I am sure you will all be able to admire what he brings to the team there. Sure, he plays the Heskey role, *****.

Barnes IS a better finisher than Ulloa.

But Ulloa is a better player. Obviously. I would sell Barnes as his inside left position is tiresome to watch and will hinder a fast attacking team, as we apparently want to be. But he is a good Championship player, proven over 2 seasons.

albionite

May 20, 2009
Can't believe so many saying Barnes is a good finisher, Ok every now and again he is but more often he misses really easy chances. What Barnes is good at is getting in positions to have those chances. Why he frustrates me, you can see he has potential but is to inconsistent.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010

What do you mean by finisher? Someone at the end of a move to tap it in? Someone in a one-on-one situation that is likely to score? Both of those situations I would back Ulloa over Barnes. Is a finisher someone who makes the best out of a chance that is less than promising? See Ulloa's two most recent goals for reasons that he is better than Barnes. I honestly can't FATHOM a situation that I would rather Barnes in than Ulloa to slot it past the keeper.

Pray tell, HOW Barnes is a better finisher than Ulloa?

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
If Barnes was a better finisher and had managed to place a certain shot past Speroni then we should have been having this debate as a Premiership club..........................ok it wasn't his easiest chance but by no means the hardest either.

I like Ashley Barnes' combative play and also recognise that when Gus played him in a deeper / wider role he was less likely to get goal scoring chances but I've seen enough of him home and away to know that sadly he misses too many straightforward chances when he does get them.

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus

Gary Dicker was a good player who understood the way we played, as he showed in our League One season, but the main complaint was his lack of pace, physically and when choosing his passes (which tended to be very good), in the Championship. Barnes has been fantastic for us. Calling people stupid for saying a player who's been first choice for three years, scored over 40 goals (with most of his time being spent as a defensive wide attacker), who has received interest from Premiership clubs and a Champions League team and has been praised by both Gus Poyet and Oscar Garcia...seems the more ignorant, "stupid" thing.

Why are you getting so angry over other peoples' opinions as well?

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1

But Ulloa is a better player. Obviously. I would sell Barnes as his inside left position is tiresome to watch and will hinder a fast attacking team, as we apparently want to be. But he is a good Championship player, proven over 2 seasons.

Barnes is NOT a better finisher.

Ulloa finishing is impeccable.

Barnes missed around 12 easy chances v Newport by himself alone! If barnes thinks for more than two seconds he misses. He's only good at first time finishes.

Surely you are fishing.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Barnes is NOT a better finisher.

Ulloa finishing is impeccable.

Barnes missed around 12 easy chances v Newport by himself alone! If barnes thinks for more than two seconds he misses. He's only good at first time finishes.

Surely you are fishing.

Surely that makes him a 'natural' finisher.........???

I think Ninja Elephant makes a fair point, though personally I would say they are comparable with their feet, rather than one being better than the other.

Wouldn't sell Ashley but KLL can go and the sooner the better.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
Can we please sell Ashley Barnes. He's not strong and doesn't hold the ball up well. He never out jumps the defender.

Two of the worst descriptions of Barnes ever. His strength holding the ball up is immense at times, holding off 2 or 3 players. As a striker you don't need to out jump a defender, just get in front of them, which I seem to remember Barnes doing a fair bit last season.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Am I the only one on here that thinks Barnes is shit and would welcome his sell to Burnley?

More natural finisher than CMS?

The bloke is pants, pure and simple. Cue outrage from other BHA fans, but IMO he is RUBBISH

Definitely more natural than CMS.

2 Brighton managers and other club's sniffing around would suggest he is not as bad as you think.

Feb 14, 2010
Neither Barnes or CMS have been able to hit a cows arse with a banjo since they have been at Brighton. The amount of 1 on 1 chances they have missed has been staggering. Arguing about who out of Barnes or CMS is the better finisher is like two bald men arguing over a comb. Not saying that either are bad footballers, just that neither have shown the ability to run onto a ball inside the box and slot the ball past the keeper in a calm controlled clinical way on a regular basis. You cant miss the chances they have missed over the last two seasons and be called a centre forward of any note.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here