Ashley Barnes

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton til I Die

May 22, 2010
Moved up to 4th by scoring 3 goals in 4 games, we've climbed the table due to the incompetence of others, not because we've been tearing the league up as a result of Barnes not playing. Also you are all idiots

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
The only downside of having him back is the Ashley Barnes threads have started again. Quite enjoyed a few weeks on NSC without them!

Very true.

Anyway, beggars can't be choosers right now. It's good he's back.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
The way I see it you guys have two options:

1. Continue slagging him off left right and centre, don't bother to sing any positive songs about him, watch him fail and then turn round and say "I told you so", basking in the full glory of your omnipotent football knowledge while we face another season in the Championship.

OR

2. Get behind the lad, sing his songs loud and proud, boost his confidence and then suffer the embarrasment of having a bit of egg on face after he fires us into the Premier League.

He WILL have a part to play before this season is out, whether it be in the starting line up or off the bench. And the fans can do their bit to make sure that that part is a positive one.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Look at the facts, we have moved up to 4th without him.

We've won two games out of seven.

He was an idiot at at Forest if he tripped the referee, and deserves all the stick that comes his way.

We need Ulloa 100% fit for the playoffs, so if Barnes can relieve the pressure for 20 minutes against Charlton and give Leo a rest then let it be so.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

He was an idiot at at Forest if he tripped the referee, and deserves all the stick that comes his way.

We need Ulloa 100% fit for the playoffs, so if Barnes can relieve the pressure for 20 minutes against Charlton and give Leo a rest then let it be so.

He tripped the ref at Bolton and we have played Charlton twice.

Agree with what you meant though

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
Barnes is not a striker for a team in the top four. He could do a job for a lower Championship team, say Bristol City, but he's not consistent enough to play any major role in our season.

Since Ashley Barnes is one of the players who GOT us to be a top Championship club, you must therefore be talking out of your backside. QED.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset

But EP, most are proposing he flipping start on Saturday...... off the bench fine because we have no viable alternative, but start????..... do me a favour.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
What if he has his usual, half a second behind the rest of the team, giving the ball away, clumsy challenging type of game?
Do us 'knockers' get an apology?

Nice....made me chuckle, I doubt you will though.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.

In my opinion our three most impressive results were against Cardiff, Palace and Boro. Barnes did not play in any of these.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I haven't seen anyone on this thread saying they would choose a fully fit Barnes over a fully fit Ulloa. What a lot of people have suggested is that if Gus believes Ulloa needs a rest, Barnes should start. For those that don't agree with this, who do you suggest, Barker ?

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
35 goals for the Albion considering he's always been far younger and second fiddle to our main strikers, is a good return, whereas a stack of other strikers in the same era, often with far more experience have not:

Sandaza
Wood (for us)
The £3.25m man CMS has in no way justified that collosal outlay
Dobbie
Agdestein
Paynter
Vokes

Some of these characters couldn't buy a goal.

For those who've watched Barnes through his entire Albion career, he's done well.

I have watched him and he has done ok, works very hard for the team and puts his head where it hurts, but his record is not great if you take the pens out of his number. also the pens he has missed dont help with his reputation. Looking at the squad though, its good to have him back Saturday, but only as a bench warmer nothing else.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
I haven't seen anyone on this thread saying they would choose a fully fit Barnes over a fully fit Ulloa. What a lot of people have suggested is that if Gus believes Ulloa needs a rest, Barnes should start. For those that don't agree with this, who do you suggest, Barker ?

he wont rest Ulloa with 3 games to go. dont be silly. so with that in mind, Barnes is a bench warmer at best.

Edit.....you may not have suggested that reading that again........

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Anyone suggesting we start what is potentially our most important home game of the season so far with Ulloa on the bench and a less than match fit Ashley Barnes as centre forward needs their head examining.

Agreed. Bring Barnes on for Ulloa if we are 2-0 up with 10 to go, or 3-0 with 20, not before. We do have a whole week until our next game don't forget.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
In my opinion our three most impressive results were against Cardiff, Palace and Boro. Barnes did not play in any of these.

Our biggest win of the season was the 5-1 v Barnsley in which Barnes was man of the match scoring two, and having two other shots take deflections off cms and in. Barnes ran that game. He also played in the game v Sheffield Wednesday which is still held up by some as our best performance this season.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
But EP, most are proposing he flipping start on Saturday...... off the bench fine because we have no viable alternative, but start????..... do me a favour.

I'm with you on this, difficult to justify him starting, Leo was knackered on Tuesday after 70 minutes, but his hold up play until then was sublime, although sadly he never looked like scoring as we didn't create chances.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Two wins in seven games. Impressive.
If we get two wins from our next seven games without him, we won't be going up.

People keep going on about only 2 wins in seven!

I haven't got time to look something up but if there any students who are at a loose end.....I would like to see how many points we have taken from the last ten games Barnes has started compared to those he has not started because of his suspensions.

My pound is going on more points without him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports