Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Ashley Barnes is gonna have a big part to play in the next few games, I would love him to score the goal that gets us promoted.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
The chap in front of me did the usual non-celebration when Barnes scored his goals. Other than doing the wanker motion. Then stormed off when Barnes was named man of the match! :lolol:
Was that the old scrote who was flicking the finger at you as he was heading up the steps?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It now seems we are all aware Mcsmudger is not up to this division,can someone please tell Gus
Just like we were all aware that Barnes isn't up to it :facepalm:

I think as good as I thought Barnes' performance was, he doesn't have the right to expect to stay in the starting
Not that it really matters what he thinks, I'm sure he's well aware that Ulloa has earnt his place.

Generally speaking I think if you put in a very good to great performance you can feel you've done enough to earn a start in the next game (assuming you train well, too, of course), and can feel justified in being a little put out that you've been dropped to the bench (again, assuming you use that disappointment well).
I don't agree, because games will be different depending on the opposition (are they going to come at us or park the bus), home or away, and whether we need players rested. Players simply need to understand that Gus picks the team, for whatever reason he feels, and that's that.

Regardless of what happened yesterday, Gus knows that Ulloa is the man. If Gus start Barnes instead of Ulloa against Leeds, then he'll have a reason for it.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't agree, because games will be different depending on the opposition (are they going to come at us or park the bus), home or away, and whether we need players rested. Players simply need to understand that Gus picks the team, for whatever reason he feels, and that's that.

Regardless of what happened yesterday, Gus knows that Ulloa is the man. If Gus start Barnes instead of Ulloa against Leeds, then he'll have a reason for it.

Of course gus picks the team. I don't mean expecting to start necessarily means they will. But if you play badly, you can't be surprised if you're dropped. If you play well you can feel like you've done enough to earn a chance in the next game, you might not start and the manager will probably explain it's tactics related rather than performance, but that doesn't mean you were wrong to feel like you should have started (we get plenty of people on here talking about playing to our own strengths and forcing opponents to adapt, I'm sure some players think the same cliché too), and I personally would have a degree of sympathy for someone who plays well and is dropped.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Of course gus picks the team. I don't mean expecting to start necessarily means they will.
No I know. But I think there are certain players that need to understand they may not feature in the next game regardless of whether they've played well or not. I'd think that would apply to Barnes, Kaz, Crofts, Hammond and Ankergren.

Brighton til I Die

May 22, 2010
If anyone else wants to post more negativity after yesterday it would actually just be better if you were to F*** off, can we end this thread now please.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Humble Pie: When I heard Barnes was starting, I thought Gus had made a BIG mistake. I was wrong.

Barnes performance was excellent. He led the line extremely well, good hold-up play, making space for others, good distribution, and 2 good goals.

Even better, he showed absolutely no sign of childish petulance, not once did he appeal for non-fouls, and he even avoided running after and tripping-up the referee!

Well done Ash. Now, just keep it going for the rest of our (hopefully extended by 3 games) season.

Remember, one swallow does not a summer make.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
I base it on what I have seen over the last 3-4 seasons.

A young player who scored 20+ at 21 and was our top scorer in the chamionship last season and continues to learn & grow as a player.

Yes it's speculation but from what I have seen it's what I believe.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Only 23, when he's 26/27 he will be one hell of a player.
I base it on what I have seen over the last 3-4 seasons.

A young player who scored 20+ at 21 and was our top scorer in the chamionship last season and continues to learn & grow as a player.

Yes it's speculation but from what I have seen it's what I believe.
How dare you come on here and post your opinion.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Humble Pie: When I heard Barnes was starting, I thought Gus had made a BIG mistake. I was wrong.
Yes you were wrong. But you weren't wrong because Barnes played well, you were wrong because you don't understand how important it is for us to try someone other than a knackered Ulloa up front. Gus made the best decision for the team, and its chance of promotion, without the benefit of hindsight. Gus is best placed to decide what's right, and you could do with learning that (and I realise I'm a patronising **** and I'm not sorry).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here