Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes

fcportaloo

Nov 1, 2009
Not to those blindly eager to justify the £3.25m price tag man.

Perhaps. But regardless of fee CMS brings little to the team. I assumed he would leave in close season for lots less than we paid, but his injury means there won't be takers unless v cheap. For me Barnes is the player to pick ahead of CMS, he brings much more and we are a more balanced side

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Lovely to see that Ashley Barnes snide curled-lip niggling was completely absent today and that his natural goal-scoring ability remains completely intact. Ashley Barnes has a touch at this level that CMS can only dream of.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Played well and certainly showed his constant critics he has something to offer. Always looks better as a central striker, maybe as he actually enjoys it and feel he looks frustrated when played on the left.

Just what we needed as now we have a backup to Ulloa who is also in form.

Titus

Come on!
Feb 21, 2010
Up here on the left.
A chap across the aisle from me was giving Barnes a panning from the start. He even tried to get a "What a difference you have made" song going. Strangely he went rather quiet in the last half hour.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Barnes has a blinder as usual when played up front. My question is this: if we'd played him there all season until Ulloa arrived, would we have done better than with CMS?

This isn't a criticism of Gus but I often say that.

He's basically a victim of his own flexibility. Played in midfield, works for the team and then gets criticised for not scoring goals or looking like a natural midfielder.

His stint in midfield has almost been an education in my opinion. You could see it yesterday. It's taught him how to lay the ball off. How to maintain possession. It's improved his decision making.

I've also always been saying that IF he moves on (I dot want him to) and a team plays him up font for a whole season, I could see him scoring tons. Maybe at Champiknship, maybe league One.

Basically, he has striker movement. His two goals are the perfect example of that movement as the ball is delivered. The second is obviously down to an amazing cross but he moved for it and made it look simple.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
This isn't a criticism of Gus but I often say that.

He's basically a victim of his own flexibility. Played in midfield, works for the team and then gets criticised for not scoring goals or looking like a natural midfielder.

His stint in midfield has almost been an education in my opinion. You could see it yesterday. It's taught him how to lay the ball off. How to maintain possession. It's improved his decision making.

I've also always been saying that IF he moves on (I dot want him to) and a team plays him up font for a whole season, I could see him scoring tons. Maybe at Champiknship, maybe league One.

Basically, he has striker movement. His two goals are the perfect example of that movement as the ball is delivered. The second is obviously down to an amazing cross but he moved for it and made it look simple.
It now seems we are all aware Mcsmudger is not up to this division,can someone please tell Gus

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
If Barnes starts in place of a fit Ulloa I will shave my eye brows - having said that I am not a fan of Barnes at all, but I am glad he is back as we have absolutely no depth and he is a body that has a bit of experience at this level - hopefully he can come on after 70 minutes for Leo after we are 3-0 up

It is another vote from me for the eyebrows. Photos please.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
After his performance, I wonder if Gus will start with him against Leeds also? Or will Ulloa come back in?

For me start Barnes again for an hour and then bring Ulloa on to keep his match fitness up!

D

Deleted member 2719

I take the bit about the celebration back. Just seen the goals on SSN, no idea what the celebrations were but they looked like the ear cup to me at the time.

Well done mate. I thought your eyes are better than mine at the time, but you were a lot closer to him than me. :)

I know your not convinced by Barnsie but i think he brings us some steel and defenders find him a handful and his game is becoming more complete every time he plays,he is a improver IMO and you can't ask for more than that.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
It's good that we now have choices coming to the most important stage of the season. Barnes showed that he can play and has set his own standards now. He now needs to be so much more consistent and then he might become the player some think he will be.
Great game yesterday, keep it going.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
After his performance, I wonder if Gus will start with him against Leeds also? Or will Ulloa come back in?

For me start Barnes again for an hour and then bring Ulloa on to keep his match fitness up!

I think as good as I thought Barnes' performance was, he doesn't have the right to expect to stay in the starting line up because of it the way other players may, because of his recent ban. That's not to say he shouldn't or gus won't make room for him, just that he does have a right to expect to stay in and shouldn't be upset if he is dropped to the bench.

lighthouse

Feb 27, 2008
north hampshire
I think as good as I thought Barnes' performance was, he doesn't have the right to expect to stay in the starting line up because of it the way other players may, because of his recent ban. That's not to say he shouldn't or gus won't make room for him, just that he does have a right to expect to stay in and shouldn't be upset if he is dropped to the bench.

No more or no less than any other player in the squad. That is how it should be.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
No more or no less than any other player in the squad. That is how it should be.

Generally speaking I think if you put in a very good to great performance you can feel you've done enough to earn a start in the next game (assuming you train well, too, of course), and can feel justified in being a little put out that you've been dropped to the bench (again, assuming you use that disappointment well).

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
:clap2::clap2:

Although it doesn't feel like a nightmare - quite the opposite.

Haha forgot about this! Hopefully his performance means even his biggest doubters can support him for the rest of the season as he helps fire us in to the top flight.

lighthouse

Feb 27, 2008
north hampshire
Generally speaking I think if you put in a very good to great performance you can feel you've done enough to earn a start in the next game (assuming you train well, too, of course), and can feel justified in being a little put out that you've been dropped to the bench (again, assuming you use that disappointment well).

In this specific case I think much depends on how Gus views Ulloa's 'recovery' over the next week. I can Ulloa and Barnes sharing the role of striker over the next 2 games provided things things don't start to go wrong. 2 freshened up strikers going into the play offs would be perfect.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here