Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Simple fact, Gus Poyet picks the team. He knows a damn sight more about the game than any NSC poster. As long as he picks Barnes then I'm more than happy to accept his judgement. As he continues to pick Ashley Barnes the player must be doing okay.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Barnes is a good player and on his day can be championship standard.

Yes he does work hard for the team I've no doubt and puts in a lot of hard work and plays for the team

My only view is that position he is playing he isn't suited to, yesterday he looked a better player when he manged to get involved centrally as was the same against Palace. I'd play him as a striker but I wouldn't play him in the current position he is playing. Whilst he does work hard for the team and does a lot of good things he also makes a fair few mistakes playing that role. I'd play someone else there in a 4-4-2 and Barnes up front. I believe we have players who can play the role Barnes does better and we should get him into the areas of the pitch he can be most effective

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Following on from my comments yesterday, i think Barnes performance was no better than mediocre. He should have at least worked the keeper with his header and never tried to square it to cms. as an aattacking option on the left he doesnt give us much going forward. when everyone is available i dont think he'll play.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Thankfully Gus is like those on this forum and sees how wank he is... Oh wait... He doesn't? But that means Gus disagrees with a bunch of whining keyboard warriors and rates him based on his own opinion.

Sack him. Doesn't he know NSC knows best?

Sent by the power of Gus' tactical genius

That's not a very strong argument bearing in mind Gus rated Barn Door Billy! As for Barnes, he is playing a role that is not his naturaly position and I think he is doing a good job there. He could have headed towards goal but he was wide of the goal and had the keeper to beat so unselfishly squared to CMS who was millimetres away from getting a touch. Had he got that touch it would have been a different story.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Following on from my comments yesterday, i think Barnes performance was no better than mediocre. He should have at least worked the keeper with his header and never tried to square it to cms. as an aattacking option on the left he doesnt give us much going forward. when everyone is available i dont think he'll play.

Only Noone was unavailable, rather deflates your reasoning there I think.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
That's not a very strong argument bearing in mind Gus rated Barn Door Billy!

Not for long though! He only persisted with BDB because Hoskins and Barnes were injured and then sent him back

Sent by the power of Gus' tactical genius

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Only Noone was unavailable, rather deflates your reasoning there I think.

My reasoning was more in respect of when everyone is fit he wont play the same formation a she has today. he will accomodate vicente, vokes and cms IMO and Barnes wont get a look in, but i might be wrong. again. lol

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
Barnes was our best player against peterborough and palace, also had a good game against Newcastle, and again yesterday. Seems like when we plays well no one likes to mention him, but as soon as he puts a foot wrong some fans like to get on his back. It's almost like some people want him to play bad so they can rip him. Gus picks him, he sees him
Day in day out. Let's be honest no one on NSC knows a great deal about tactics ect so let's leave it to the manger.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Barnes has got better since we got rid of Murray.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
He should have at least worked the keeper with his header and never tried to square it to cms. .

Exactly , why on earth would he try to play cms in on an open goal ?

Barnes is playing well at the moment although his touch is a bit heavy, once that's sorted he'll be class.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

but then u speak from an opening position of bias

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Just watched the end of the Brighton Newcastle game as Barnes was brilliant. Worked so hard, intelligent use of the ball for the position we were in (1 nil up with 10 to go), and brilliant pass through to Buckley who surprisingly didn't have another shot when in the same position as he was for the goal. Such an asset to the club

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Hypothetical

#

I thought Barnes was a class act in the Murray time, but obviously against a lower standard of defender.

Both a class above Woods & Sandaza, although they popped up with a vital goal occasionally.

If we got Murray back, who would you choose now, Barnes or Murray?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My immediate thought was that Vokes was being brought in for Barnes but the way he is playing at the moment makes it virtually impossible to drop him other than for actical reasons. I think that we will need less of his defensive ability with Mattock in the side and a natural left footed player whcih we have missed since Marcus injury so would expect to see him in a more advanced role.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here