Ashley Barnes, The Latest: Ashley Barnes Signs for Burnley *Confirmation*

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Turf Moor ramshackle? Since when?

When was the last time you were there? It isn't ramshackle in the Withdean sense but then nothing is/was that bad but Turf Moor has definitely seen better days in my opinion.

It is an old style ground with wooden seats in the away end and generally poor facilities. The away stand reminded me of The Goldstone towards the end of its days and Selhurst now. Some romantics like the old grounds but not me, having recently been to places like Loftus Road, Turf Moor, Selhurst and others, I prefer the wide concourses and modern toilet facilities we enjoy at The Amex.

So yes, in short, I'd say Turf Moor borders on being ramshackle and I don't mean that in a 'look at us, we've got a brand new stadium' looking down my nose kind of way.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I think its undisputed that Burnley have offered Barnes more money. Im sure he was paid quite well with us but whatever it is Burnley are paying more. Its really that simple.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I think its undisputed that Burnley have offered Barnes more money. Im sure he was paid quite well with us but whatever it is Burnley are paying more. Its really that simple.

A lot of us are thinking the same thing. Players, when joining a new club, have to say the things that the supporters want to hear and Ashley Barnes has done just that. Sensible thing to do.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

Yes, but there is a difference between a pay rise of 5k >>> 6k and a pay rise of 5k >>> 12k as some people seem to be suggesting.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

And just as was rumoured to be a key part of Glenn's move to Palace, there's undoubtedly a large signing on fee involved.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
if he starts banging them in week in and week out ala Murrey certain wankers on here will have some questions to answer imo.
I do hope you've got a list.

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
I have no idea how much Burnley are actually playing Barnes, but I do know he was on 5k a week with Brighton. The new contract offer was just a £500 increase to 5.5k (rejected). Barnes was expecting/hoping for nearer 10k. But yeah, how much Barnes is actually being paid now I have no clue!

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I have no idea how much Burnley are actually playing Barnes, but I do know he was on 5k a week with Brighton. The new contract offer was just a £500 increase to 5.5k (rejected). Barnes was expecting/hoping for nearer 10k. But yeah, how much Barnes is actually being paid now I have no clue!
An extra £500 a week is an insult if true

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Yes, but there is a difference between a pay rise of 5k >>> 6k and a pay rise of 5k >>> 12k as some people seem to be suggesting.

Yes Im not privvy the amounts (and frankly I dont care) but its all down to money. Football fans are a funny bunch they think players should have the same loyalty as fans. Thats not the case (unless you are an El Abd type who grew through the ranks and even then if someone was offering more cash he may move) and they will go to whoever pays more whether. Barnes had an idea how much he was worth, we didnt pay it Burnley did. Could be £50 a week could be £5000 a week.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Correct me if Im wrong here but moving from a club in 7th place(at the time) to a club lying second with recent premier experiance is a step up. How he gets on from now is anyones guess but if he starts banging them in week in and week out ala Murrey certain wankers on here will have some questions to answer imo.

IF he starts banging them in week in week out I'll be amazed. Not much sign of that with his 6 in 24 so far this season, but it's possible. Also, Burnley are second, and us 6th, but it's hardly a step up. We're certainly the bigger club now if you look at attendances. Will they stay in the top 2? I'm not so sure. Maybe if they hold onto Ings but, then, Ash won't get much of a look-in.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
And just as was rumoured to be a key part of Glenn's move to Palace, there's undoubtedly a large signing on fee involved.

The signing on fee over the 3 year deal was the equivalent of adding another £750 gross a week onto his wages. A nice little commission earner for his agent at the time which was surpassed when a contract extension was signed to bring his wages up to £20k a week.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Also, Burnley are second, and us 6th, but it's hardly a step up. We're certainly the bigger club now if you look at attendances. Will they stay in the top 2? I'm not so sure. Maybe if they hold onto Ings but, then, Ash won't get much of a look-in.
Indeed - if Burnley don't hold onto Ings, I doubt they'll finish top two, so I'm not sure it's a step up. And if they do keep hold on Ings, I'm not sure Barnes will play that much.

Aug 23, 2011
When was the last time you were there? It isn't ramshackle in the Withdean sense but then nothing is/was that bad but Turf Moor has definitely seen better days in my opinion.

It is an old style ground with wooden seats in the away end and generally poor facilities. The away stand reminded me of The Goldstone towards the end of its days and Selhurst now. Some romantics like the old grounds but not me, having recently been to places like Loftus Road, Turf Moor, Selhurst and others, I prefer the wide concourses and modern toilet facilities we enjoy at The Amex.

So yes, in short, I'd say Turf Moor borders on being ramshackle and I don't mean that in a 'look at us, we've got a brand new stadium' looking down my nose kind of way.

I didn't actually mind the wooden seats, i thought they were better than some of the plastic fare you get. (To be fair i've not been to turf moor since the 3-1 victory on the first day of the season just before the infamous 14 match losing streak)

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Just watched his first interview on their Player. Barnes said the move has been 'on the cards since the summer'. He also said that he wants to be in The Prem and sees Burnley as his way there. He kept saying that he needed a new chapter in his life throughout the video. I got the impression that he just wanted to leave The Albion-out of loyalty to Poyet maybe? Pure guesswork on my part but it looks like he was never going to sign a new contract with us and Burnley was where he wanted to be for months. Burnley though Ashley? Have you lost your marbles? Or maybe we aren't the attraction we like to think we are?

I think that despite the Poyet fiasco over the summer Barnes put on a good show and it didn't affect him on the pitch, to the point that he actually improved as a player. Four years is a long time with any club and he deserved a new challenge and a fresh start. Burnley wanted him before the season started so the fact that they came back in for him when in the top two is flattering for any player.

Poyet probably had something to do with it but only in so far as a lesson in that nothing lasts forever, and the fact that he left when he was at last appreciated by the majority of fans it was perfect timing. He played a massive part in our transition and I will always remember him for that.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
If Barnes was after 10k a week I'm glad we didn't pay it. I am not one of the people that was on Ashley's case all the time, in fact, I was disappointed to see him go but bloody hell-£500000 a year? If Burnley are happy to pay him that much then it's confirmation, if any was needed, that football has gone mad when a 2nd tier player gets paid half a million. Even 5k a week is bloody good money that most 'normal' people would love to earn.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003

Are you sure? We signed him in League 1, on League 1 wages. It may have included a promotion/yearly rise but 5k would still be quite a big increase from L1 wages. I wonder if he even wanted to be here this season, as I recall the Argus saying he played enough games last season to trigger a contract extension. I'm guessing he didn't want that and it can't have been much of an increase as by August we'd been reported to have offered him a new deal. Perhaps that extension was, if you play x number of games, you get another year and a rise to 5k. In which case, 5.5k a couple of months later wouldn't be that big an insult, imo.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
If Barnes was after 10k a week I'm glad we didn't pay it. I am not one of the people that was on Ashley's case all the time, in fact, I was disappointed to see him go but bloody hell-£500000 a year? If Burnley are happy to pay him that much then it's confirmation, if any was needed, that football has gone mad when a 2nd tier player gets paid half a million. Even 5k a week is bloody good money that most 'normal' people would love to earn.

I agree with this and it's partly why I have mixed feelings about promotion. We'd be paying crazy money to our players, obscene money actually, and however much that's offset by TV money/parachute payments/prize money/more sponsorship revenue, it just feels harder to give vocal support to - or care much about - millionaire footballers. I know we can't turn the clock back on this stuff but it does explain why a lot of normal fans are disconnecting from top-level football.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Yes Im not privvy the amounts (and frankly I dont care) but its all down to money. Football fans are a funny bunch they think players should have the same loyalty as fans. Thats not the case (unless you are an El Abd type who grew through the ranks and even then if someone was offering more cash he may move) and they will go to whoever pays more whether. Barnes had an idea how much he was worth, we didnt pay it Burnley did. Could be £50 a week could be £5000 a week.

I don't think Barnes has gone for more money though, I think he has gone because Burnley gave him 3.5 year and we were probably only offering an extra year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports