Ashley Barnes, The Latest: Ashley Barnes Signs for Burnley *Confirmation*

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
BBC Sussex Sport ‏@BBCSussexSport 7m
Mirror link @OfficialBHAFC with Cardiff striker Joe Mason for £600,000 if Barnes goes to Burnley #northstandchat

1 in 8 appearances for Bolton this season. His contract runs out soon doesn't it? Not too excited by this guess by the Mirror. As that's what 'links' are - guesses. That's what I'm calling them from now on.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
How are we going to do this if he is prepared to let his contract run out? He has the whip hand now, he knows clubs want him and also know's how much they are prepared to pay him. Also the chance of a bigger signing on fee in the summer

Tell him to sign the contract or we will sell him this window.

Obviously he could refuse to sign and refuse a transfer but I'd imagine he would get far less game time as a result.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Tell him to sign the contract or we will sell him this window.

Obviously he could refuse to sign and refuse a transfer but I'd imagine he would get far less game time as a result.

Really we would not let him play because we have a wealth of strikers? As you say we cannot force him to sign a transfer, he has the whip hand now. Unless the club have been prepared all along for him to walk away for nothing, otherwise it is a bit of bad business by us and the same can happen with I think 7 more players in the summer.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think Barnes has improved his overall game under Oscar, despite not scoring freely and at times missing out to Ulloa. Also think his discipline has got better this season- I could be wrong but I don't think we've seen him get wound up quite as easily as in previous years.

Defensively, he's as good in our own penalty area as Murray used to be, and pops up with more than his fair share of clearing headers, while some of his hold up play up front recently has been excellent. He seems to be the sort who scores goals in spells, so let's hope he gets back on the trail soon.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Mason as a replacement - didn't he effectively replace Barnes at Plymouth?

Has a certain symmetry but for me Barnes is such a good all-rounder that even at £1m Burnley would be getting a bargain.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I think Barnes has improved his overall game under Oscar, despite not scoring freely and at times missing out to Ulloa. Also think his discipline has got better this season- I could be wrong but I don't think we've seen him get wound up quite as easily as in previous years.

Defensively, he's as good in our own penalty area as Murray used to be, and pops up with more than his fair share of clearing headers, while some of his hold up play up front recently has been excellent. He seems to be the sort who scores goals in spells, so let's hope he gets back on the trail soon.

Towards the end of the Reading game, just as we were starting a dangerous counter-attack, one of their players pulled him back by the shirt miles away from the ball and he go so frustrated he kicked out, fortunately not hitting anyone. So either he was just kicking the air in frustration or trying to kick their player. Either way that was the first time I've seen him get so riled this season. His temperament, in general, has improved massively.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Really we would not let him play because we have a wealth of strikers? As you say we cannot force him to sign a transfer, he has the whip hand now. Unless the club have been prepared all along for him to walk away for nothing, otherwise it is a bit of bad business by us and the same can happen with I think 7 more players in the summer.

If he refuses to sign who is to say we won't sign another striker this window as we will need to plan for the future.

He does hold most of the aces but I'd imagine the club can be very strong and moving on this window may be his best option if he doesn't want to sign a new contract.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Towards the end of the Reading game, just as we were starting a dangerous counter-attack, one of their players pulled him back by the shirt miles away from the ball and he go so frustrated he kicked out, fortunately not hitting anyone. So either he was just kicking the air in frustration or trying to kick their player. Either way that was the first time I've seen him get so riled this season. His temperament, in general, has improved massively.

Was that the incident when the ref played the advantage and Lua Lua then got fouled and loads of fans got upset because the ref pulled it back to the first foul rather than the second.

SeagullSongs

Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Was that the incident when the ref played the advantage and Lua Lua then got fouled and loads of fans got upset because the ref pulled it back to the first foul rather than the second.

Possibly, although you may be thinking of the Bournemouth game.

In fact, I might be thinking of the Bournemouth game too, I don't even know.

Trelford Mills Guide Dog

Jun 14, 2008

Typical Barnes - missed again 😃😃😃 (Just joking).

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Sounds perfect and we end up with some cash at the end!

Barber's dream.

How is it "perfect" to replace a very good striker with one with a very poor strike rate?!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

He's also improved by nicking balls off opponents he probably had no right to get in the first place.

The build up to Conway's goal against Leicester being a case in point.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
He's also improved by nicking balls off opponents he probably had no right to get in the first place.

The build up to Conway's goal against Leicester being a case in point.

Yep. He's one of our better passers of the ball these days too. Lays off some beautiful balls to the wingers at times.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

I saw that as contrived frustration - to highlight to the referee, in case he missed it, that he was impeded.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

Not offering new contracts soon enough seem's to be our Achilles heel that's one thing we need to brush up on

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I want to keep Barnes more than I want to keep Bridcutt if we are getting circa £5million for him. We're short up front and he's brilliant - Tenacious, hardworking and passionate.

SeagullSongs

Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I want to keep Barnes more than I want to keep Bridcutt if we are getting circa £5million for him. We're short up front and he's brilliant - Tenacious, hardworking and passionate.

This. I think he's actually my favourite player, although Orlandi runs him a close second :love:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Bridcutt leaves for undisclosed sum....Barnes signs new contract. Please make this happen at the same time. Just as good as a new signing in my book.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports