Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ashley Barnes potentially leaving Burnley

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Relying on Chris O Grady as your main striker , in hindsight was “desperate” in 2014/15. Having Connolly in our squad, and then playing him a few times off the bench with Welbeck and Maupay and Trossard scoring multiple goals ahead of him in 2021/22 was not.

Welbeck played 4 times from the beginning of the season to mid December, so we had Maupay and Trossard shoehorned in as a striker on occasions but if you feel Connolly deserved a place, we’ll just agree to differ. We were very short on strikers in the first half of the season imo. If we had signed a striker in the summer window Connolly would not have made the squad again just imo. There has never been anything desperate about anything Albion related from you :thumbsup:

Are you sure you don’t work for the club in some capacity? :lolol:

On another note it looks like the club have sorted Welbeck’s long term injury, he played a part and generally quite a big part in every game from 14 Jan to the end of the season :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Barnes has averaged 5 league goals a season over his 9 year spell as a striker at Burnley. He is 32 and has a recent drunk driving conviction. His main talent as a footballer is that he puts himself about a bit.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
No, Barnes and Welbeck are worlds apart saying that I would probably rather he came on as sub than Connolly if it became that desperate again in the summer.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Barnes has averaged 5 league goals a season over his 9 year spell as a striker at Burnley. He is 32 and has a recent drunk driving conviction. His main talent as a footballer is that he puts himself about a bit.

I like to think that Glenn taught Ashley all about the 'dark arts' of football, but Glenn left before he had the chance to do the subtlety chapter :wink:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
He’s good at penalties!!!

IF Mr Potter saw a place for him, I certainly wouldn’t object. I always rated him.

I think it’s a big if, though, and can’t see it happening.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
32 year old injury prone drink driver with two non-penalty goals in two seasons. Its a no for me and more importantly its a no from any owner/director of football/manager working in the PL. He'll end up in a decent Championship club.

Feb 14, 2010
Would be an asset but another version of what we have in Maupay. Hard working, bring much to a side but not prolific (tho maybe if he had the chances we create he might just take them). Personally I think we need a player who will drift away from a defender and calmly place the ball where the keeper is not and in the net. A Lineker, a Greaves, a finisher. Can we afford one? Probably not.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I like to think that Glenn taught Ashley all about the 'dark arts' of football, but Glenn left before he had the chance to do the subtlety chapter :wink:

Just imagine how many goals we would 'of' had if we'd somehow kept that partnership together. We've never really done an upgrade on either player since

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
No. I always loved AB and was really sorry to see him go at the time, but that ship has long sailed.

I'm happy with the memories of him, Murray and Wood at Withdean :thumbsup:

(and no, I wouldn't want them back either).

This with bells on, was gutted when he left us but we have moved on. Not sure what he would offer us now!!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Just done a Ronaldo. Burnley 5-2 down, Kompany made a triple sub of which Barnes wasn’t one so he went off down the tunnel in the 77th minute

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Just done a Ronaldo. Burnley 5-2 down, Kompany made a triple sub of which Barnes wasn’t one so he went off down the tunnel in the 77th minute
Given he’s not the sharpest tool in the box he’s probably forgotten they are allowed 5 subs in The Championship.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
started reading, thought he single handedly turn the game around. you meant the other side of Ronaldo :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here