Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ashley Barnes potentially leaving Burnley

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He's already been back with Burnley, no?
Yes. i remember one game he came on as a sub and the first thing he did was smash into Stockwell

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Interviewer seemed to suggest Barnes has made some sort of announcement about not staying with Burnley. But his interview Barnes said it was 'on the club'.
Barnes gave the impression that he hasn't been told he's leaving, but he doesn't expect to be offered a new contract. He's probably right.

Played well today, though. He's had to learn a new type of game this season - quite a bit of dropping back into midfield to hold the ball up to play the wingers and midfielders in ahead of him - and he's done it far better than expected.

(And the goal today wasn't offside. The new offside rules don't apply if VAR isn't in, so he was level. It's only with VAR that level has been abolished. VAR has done some OK things and some poor things, but it's done one absolutely pig-awful thing and that's to hold the game up for 2 minutes, and to make visual assessment of offside impossible, just so they can disallow goals that were perfectly legal and encouraged under the old rules. If VAR had been in operation, and been used in what I would call the correct way, they could have looked at the photo of the goal, said "level", and the check would have been over in 5 seconds.)

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
Barnes gave the impression that he hasn't been told he's leaving, but he doesn't expect to be offered a new contract. He's probably right.

Played well today, though. He's had to learn a new type of game this season - quite a bit of dropping back into midfield to hold the ball up to play the wingers and midfielders in ahead of him - and he's done it far better than expected.

(And the goal today wasn't offside. The new offside rules don't apply if VAR isn't in, so he was level. It's only with VAR that level has been abolished. VAR has done some OK things and some poor things, but it's done one absolutely pig-awful thing and that's to hold the game up for 2 minutes, and to make visual assessment of offside impossible, just so they can disallow goals that were perfectly legal and encouraged under the old rules. If VAR had been in operation, and been used in what I would call the correct way, they could have looked at the photo of the goal, said "level", and the check would have been over in 5 seconds.)
Didn't he spend a lot of time under Poyet in midfield?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If VAR had been in operation, and been used in what I would call the correct way, they could have looked at the photo of the goal, said "level", and the check would have been over in 5 seconds.
The problems come when we find that some given as 'level' were actually a fraction more offside than ones that were given as off (which is inevitable).

And no, I don't like how VAR is used either.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Could see him ending up back at Plymouth Argyle if they get promoted. Proven Championship striker even if he's getting on a bit, should get you ten goals per season which they're going to need if they make it, and has that nasty streak in him. Plus he's from the West Country anyway so maybe it's closer to family.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
The problems come when we find that some given as 'level' were actually a fraction more offside than ones that were given as off (which is inevitable).

And no, I don't like how VAR is used either.
That could be explained in part by the limitations (currently unacknowledged) of using a TV camera that films 26 frames per second when a player's foot can and does move 2 feet in 1/26th of a second.

They need to stop worrying about position of feet and arms, and just go off the torso like they always did (no linesman has ever tried to assess by eye whether one man's knee was an inch ahead of another's legal-part-of-the-top-of-the-arm), and look at the photo to see if the linesman is clearly wrong. If he isn't clearly wrong, without drawing lines on the screen, then he is right.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Could see him ending up back at Plymouth Argyle if they get promoted. Proven Championship striker even if he's getting on a bit, should get you ten goals per season which they're going to need if they make it, and has that nasty streak in him. Plus he's from the West Country anyway so maybe it's closer to family.
Nasty streak? It's called "competitive". ;)

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Nasty streak? It's called "competitive". ;)
Well yeah. And a newly promoted team like Plymouth (I'm hoping they go up ahead of The Massive, of course) will need that bit of bite in their team.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That could be explained in part by the limitations (currently unacknowledged) of using a TV camera that films 26 frames per second when a player's foot can and does move 2 feet in 1/26th of a second.

No I'm not talking about minute differences, I'm saying if VAR changed as you suggested and people just had a quick look at an image and judged by eye, you'd end up with fans screaming when their player was given offside, but the opponents, who were further offside, weren't.

They need to stop worrying about position of feet and arms, and just go off the torso like they always did (no linesman has ever tried to assess by eye whether one man's knee was an inch ahead of another's legal-part-of-the-top-of-the-arm)
Someone might be able to convince me otherwise, but on the face of it I agree with you - just measure off the body.

and look at the photo to see if the linesman is clearly wrong. If he isn't clearly wrong, without drawing lines on the screen, then he is right.
Another issue here is that the Linesman still needs to keep his flag down until after the goal (if there is one) is scored, and then raise his flag. So he then raises it. If looking at a photo it seems he might be wrong, but it's not really clear, then you'd have us disallow a perfectly good goal because we didn't have the time to check properly. I wouldn't be happy with that.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My thoughts too when I was watching him being interviewed after the game.

That said, given that he's from the west country, perhaps he prefers to be as far away from his family as possible.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No I'm not talking about minute differences, I'm saying if VAR changed as you suggested and people just had a quick look at an image and judged by eye, you'd end up with fans screaming when their player was given offside, but the opponents, who were further offside, weren't.

Someone might be able to convince me otherwise, but on the face of it I agree with you - just measure off the body.

Another issue here is that the Linesman still needs to keep his flag down until after the goal (if there is one) is scored, and then raise his flag. So he then raises it. If looking at a photo it seems he might be wrong, but it's not really clear, then you'd have us disallow a perfectly good goal because we didn't have the time to check properly. I wouldn't be happy with that.
Clear blue daylight (excluding arms), a maximum 20 second review, and if VAR can't decide in 20 seconds it stops there and the decision is the referee's.

I must say that VAR is generally working quite well now, undermined only by the incompetence of the people viewing the images.

Incidentally, I think they need more cameras. There is no reason why the images couldn't be 3D. They could add a moving drone camera. And the camera could be armed so that it could fire poison darts at racist chanters. Come onnnn!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He was one of Burnley’s best players last night, and has been effective every time I’ve watched them this season. Seems mad if they don’t find some kind of deal to keep him there for next season - even if only as a back up / bench option.

I’d have him on our bench over Undav, tbh.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
In all events, Burnley are promoted, apparently this team does play some football as opposed to when Dyche was running the store...
Harsh on Dyche, who got that club to Europe.

Let's see how Kompany's brand of free flowing football fares in the top flight. I mean we all lose to Man City, but we don't all lose 6-0.

I remember we scored goals for fun in two seasons under Sir Chris in the Championship, but that rightly gave way to pragmatism in the top flight. I expect Burnley to do the same thing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here