Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes isn't nearly good enough for us.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
oh, thats interesting. Yeah, he didn't score many for them in the champ, its the last couple of years he's really come on. Maybe they played him on the wing too, I dunno?

To be fair to Barnes, anyone who gets a good goal return playing for a team playing the style Burnley does deserves some plaudits. He has matured, similar to Murray, but clearly not as clinical or as natural a goal sniffer as the great man!

Unfortunately I will always remember him as Banjo Barnes (maybe harshly)...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
To be fair to Barnes, anyone who gets a good goal return playing for a team playing the style Burnley does deserves some plaudits. He has matured, similar to Murray, but clearly not as clinical or as natural a goal sniffer as the great man!

Unfortunately I will always remember him as Banjo Barnes (maybe harshly)...

Maybe? ??? :lolol:

Watching Bumley is like going back to Withdean, but with added Dyche :lolol:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
oh, thats interesting. Yeah, he didn't score many for them in the champ, its the last couple of years he's really come on. Maybe they played him on the wing too, I dunno?

Didn’t Barnes play second fiddle to Vokes, Andre Gray and latterly Wood in Burnley’s earlier PL seasons, either often as a sub, or in a deeper role putting in the hard graft for them? He was described as having to play a utility role.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Didn’t Barnes play second fiddle to Vokes, Andre Gray and latterly Wood in Burnley’s earlier PL seasons, either often as a sub, or in a deeper role putting in the hard graft for them? He was described as having to play a utility role.

Barnes career average, for all clubs, even those “playing him out of position” (which clearly most of his managers appear to do!!!) is 1 goal every 4 games.

Murray comes in at a goal ever 2.7 games.

Zamora comes in at a goal every 3 games.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Barnes career average, for all clubs, even those “playing him out of position” (which clearly most of his managers appear to do!!!) is 1 goal every 4 games.

Murray comes in at a goal ever 2.7 games.

Zamora comes in at a goal every 3 games.

I’ve always been a huge fan of Muzza, even when I sat by one or two of his detractors in the Withdean south stand. In the end they came round, agreeing that the player is class. A quality forward, finisher and natural footballer. He propelled two clubs to the PL.

From the same era, I have a soft spot for Barnes, the young striker was quality for us from the moment he played. Pleased that he’s done so well in the game.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014

Burnley have only had 1 and a half seasons in the Championship with Barnes in the team. In the first half-season, immediately after we signed him, he was mostly sub behind Ings and Vokes. Two years later, he missed the whole season with a knee ligament injury.

Murray has the advantage of regular penalties. He's scored 10, to Zamora's 2 and Barnes' 4 in the Premier League. (In all competitions, Murray 30, Barnes 15, Zamora 6.)

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Burnley have only had 1 and a half seasons in the Championship with Barnes in the team. In the first half-season, immediately after we signed him, he was mostly sub behind Ings and Vokes. Two years later, he missed the whole season with a knee ligament injury.

Murray has the advantage of regular penalties. He's scored 10, to Zamora's 2 and Barnes' 4 in the Premier League. (In all competitions, Murray 30, Barnes 15, Zamora 6.)

How many penalties missed by each?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Excellent.Well done Ash.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Premier League Top Scorers - 2019-2020 season

11 - Vardy (98 mins/goal)

10 - Abraham (90 mins/goal)

9 - Aguero (74 mins/goal)

8 - Aubameyang (135 mins/goal)

7 - Sterling (126 mins/goal)

6 - Mane (146 mins/goal), Kane (164 mins/goal), Pukki (178 mins/goal)

5 - Pulisic (113 mins/goal), Ings (151 mins/goal), Wood (169 mins/goal), Salah (171 mins/goal), Barnes (177 mins/goal)
Rashford (190 mins/goal), C.Wilson (208 mins/goal)

4 - B.Silva (160 mins/goal), H.Wilson (180 mins/goal), Maupay (196 mins/goal), Ayew (221 mins/goal) Wesley (233 mins/goal),
Jimenez (236 mins/goal), Maddison (241 mins/goal), Haller (248 mins/goal), Mount (260 mins/goal),

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Watching Bumley is like going back to Withdean, but with added Dyche :lolol:

'Added Dyche'? You make him sound like a condiment.

I had always thought of Dyche as a verb, similar to mashed, pummeled, pulverised, etc... Example being:

To Dyche a steak, start by wrapping it in plastic wrap so the juices don't spill out as you're Dycheing it.
For best results, pound the surface of the steak using a mallet, a rolling pin, or even a wine bottle.
When you're finished Dycheing the first side of the steak, flip it over and repeat on the other side.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

I had always thought of Dyche as a verb
Agreed.
similar to mashed, pummeled, pulverised, etc... Example being:

To Dyche a steak, start by wrapping it in plastic wrap so the juices don't spill out as you're Dycheing it.
I think of it like when you've got a dodgy stomach, and need to take a dyche.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I had always thought of Dyche as a verb, similar to mashed, pummeled, pulverised, etc... Example being:

For best results, pound the surface of the steak using a mallet, a rolling pin, or even a wine bottle.
When you're finished Dycheing the first side of the steak, flip it over and repeat on the other side.

Mmmm...I think of him more as a loud red-rinded hard cheese.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Murray missed 4 in the Premier League, Barnes and Zamora none. Being Burnley's regular penalty taker isn't a good way of adding to your goal tally - we've only had 2 penalties in the last 2+ seasons.

Running it into the box isn't the Burnley way.

hqdefault.jpg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The fact this thread keeps getting bounced just endorses what a complete **** up the club made with Barnes.

Whilst I agree. . . . It's also about playing style, and formation, tic-tacs etc . . Hopefully we get to a point GP gets his own players. PL quality ones too!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here