Ashley Barnes is off if buying clubs meet asking price...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
There's no substance to this is there? I'd imagine there'd be plenty before him on their way out before No.9 Ashley Barnes. Someone who follows instructions to the max is someone you don't usually want rid of.

Someone needs to give him the instruction, "don't get sent off," then.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Barnes is the kid at school who bullies the person who takes the ball off him by smashing him up seconds after it's been taking from him. No room for idiots like that.

Has he ever got a red card by doing what you've just said? ie kicking someone for taking the ball off him?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Yep last season. People forget his first red, because his second red was incredible.

The one where he got angry because a foul wasn't given and he went looking for retribution for that, not because someone won the ball off him?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Someone needs to give him the instruction, "don't get sent off," then.

He got sent off the same number of times as our captain Gordon Greer, in the time that he's been with the club. I don't see 'hate' posts for Greer anywhere.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
His red card at Hillsborough has to be mitigated by the awful decisions made by the match officials that day

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He got sent off the same number of times as our captain Gordon Greer, in the time that he's been with the club. I don't see 'hate' posts for Greer anywhere.

You're not looking hard enough. There have been plenty.

Greer is LUDICROUSLY under-rated by some on here.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Bottom line with Barnes is that I feel we would not be able to sign a better replacement, with the sum we would be likely to receive for him. So I'd say absolutely do NOT sell, UNLESS:

1. There is a BIG bid, much higher than I am expecting. Upwards of £2.5m

2. Or, if Barnes has made clear to the club he will not be signing a new deal, then I would understand the wish to cash in this summer rather than see him walk for free, next.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
The one where he got angry because a foul wasn't given and he went looking for retribution for that, not because someone won the ball off him?

And thats not childish petulence? No room for an idiot like that in the squad. Don't get me started on him trying to trip the ref. Barnes is a prick, and the sooner we off-load him the better.

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
Bottom line with Barnes is that I feel we would not be able to sign a better replacement, with the sum we would be likely to receive for him. So I'd say absolutely do NOT sell, UNLESS:

1. There is a BIG bid, much higher than I am expecting. Upwards of £2.5m

2. Or, if Barnes has made clear to the club he will not be signing a new deal, then I would understand the wish to cash in this summer rather than see him walk for free, next.

Barnes will no doubt get you 15 goals a season in the championship if played as a forward. The problem is he was constantly being played behind the lone forward where he is average. I gather OG likes to play one up top as well and Barnes wont be starting over Ulloa so it looks like replacing him is the right move. Anyway wtf do I know!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
His red card at Hillsborough has to be mitigated by the awful decisions made by the match officials that day

I would say the same about Blackburn where all in wrestling was totally ignored by the ref, including deliberate elbows to the face, but it would be futile trying to argue with the blind hatred of some.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
And thats not childish petulence? No room for an idiot like that in the squad. Don't get me started on him trying to trip the ref. Barnes is a prick, and the sooner we off-load him the better.

I guess you completely missed his good form after the Bolton incident last season then, also the season before that when he was our top scorer.

Calling a member of the team a prick - how supportive.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
And thats not childish petulence? No room for an idiot like that in the squad. .

Petulance can be removed from a young player (especially after they have already been punished for previous examples).

I would much rather have a young petulant player who is good than not.

Wayne Rooney was the epitome of petulance for silly red cards.....he then went a whole season only being booked at the very end. It can easily be phased out and the Bolton red and subsequent ban was probably the best thing that could have happened to him.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Petulance can be removed from a young player (especially after they have already been punished for previous examples).

I would much rather have a young petulant player who is good than not.

Wayne Rooney was the epitome of petulance for silly red cards.....he then went a whole season only being booked at the very end. It can easily be phased out and the Bolton red and subsequent ban was probably the best thing that could have happened to him.

David Beckham was petulant when he started out.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Totally petulant (others have commented on petulance, so I'll carry on my original point), but it's not the same as fouling someone because they won the ball off you. One involves a (perceived) injustice done against you by an incompetent ref who is apparently letting players foul each other and so you give as good as you (feel you) get, the other involves overreacting to something that is likely to happen several times a game.

Zen Frenzy

Jul 2, 2013
Withdean
Would love to see Barnes' passion channeled in the right direction. If all that innate fury was more effectively focused on scoring goals as opposed to kicking people up in the air and stamping his feet, the boy could still become a legend. Remain in the "pro" camp and hope Oscar gives him a chance and the right motivation.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Really? I think the general consensus is that he's a very good Championship centre back with some flaws.

that's the sensible view. Its not universally held though. Read any Greer thread, and there are anumber of posters who will enlighten you about how slow he is, how poor in the air he is, etc, etc, etc.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Maybe we should get Billy Paynter back, he was never petulant

I can't believe there are people on here who would rather keep CMS, Hoskyns, Barker and Toby over Barnes. Have they managed to get to a match over the last 3 seasons ?

If (Big IF !) he doesn't want to sign a new contract or we get a ridiculous bid, then business is business, but i can't believe some of the comments on here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports