Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes - contract extension?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Not good enough if we want to progress.

Well, I suppose it is fine to write him off, having seen enough, but I reckon he is still young enough and will improve, potentially by a lot.

At the very least we have a saleable asset, so an automatic contract extension can't be bad.

Time for #9 to prove his doubters wrong.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Good news. Excellent young prospect who I'm sure will now learn from his stupidity and continue to improve and score goals for us.

this
but it won't please some on here

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Am a fan of Barnes, obviously the trip wasnt acceptable but think we would be silly not to extend his contract.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Can't quite understand why we wouldn't renew Barnes contract. His goal scoring record for Albion in terms of goals per game is better than that of CMS. Yes, he's been a berk at times this season, but he is certainly within our best 18 players at the club and is improving with each season. If we let him go, some other club will get a decent player on a free - a no brainer for me

Agree with this. Why would we give away a 23 year old championship player? unless his demands are unreasonable? It's just business sense.

We have already made one mistake in that area.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
We would be idiots to let him go in my opinion. If his behaviour doesn't change then he needs either a firmer hand from Gus (which I still don't think he's getting) or being sold on.

However, I also think he should stay on playing merits alone. He adds a differenmt variety of formation that other players struggle to replicate. If better players come in, Ashley will have to raise his game as would any other player. So far he's raised his game each time and only been held back by his disciplinary issues.

On the young prospect thing, I always look at 24/25 as young within football and although I don't see youth as an excuse for ignorance Greer, our Leader and Captain, has been sent off THREE times for off the ball incidents that were all moronic and he's in his 30's. Not a great example to the younger players in the squad...

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Agree that we should have renewed his contract, to ensure he doesn't leave on a free, but the guy is an absolute meat head. He's had years to sort his temperament out, and this season he's seen red in more ways than one, that tells me he should never play for us again. All these Barnes lovers shoud wake up and smell the coffee, ffs. get over him, he's a ****.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If Tony and Gus want Barnes, then fair enough, it's not my/our decision.

But it's a shame Tony should employ him for 'business reasons'.

Jimmy Grimble

As a squad player, yes. It makes sense as an investment if he's on a low-mid wage.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
I really bloody hopes he gets one. Mainly because it will be funny to watch everyone have a shit fit on here but also because he is a good player to have on the bench.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Previous to this season he has managed to just stay this side of getting in trouble. He was on four yellow cards for over 20 games. His only previous red was one that most people, including neutrals, expected to be given to the other guy. I just hope that this season is an off year, and not a sign of his discipline getting worse.

To the point about repeated mistakes meaning we should get rid, would that also apply to grid cut, who has served four suspensions in the last two seasons? Greer, who has served three? Is it just about suspensions, or do we get rid of every player, because all of them have made mistakes to one degree or another more than once?

I do agree he is of the age where 'he's young' stops being a legitimate argument. We in football can be misleading, look at the levels reached by some young players like theo Walcott and Ronaldo and Rooney and so on. Sometimes players at young age can skew the idea of what to expect, from what age. Barnes is clearly not on their level, so 'young and still learning' for him will be older than it is for them, but still, generally peaks are found late mid twenties, when he's approaching that age range he stops being young, IMO.

I think his good performances have been better this season than his good performances last season, and if that side of his game continues to improve, he should be a regular part of our match day squad.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
As a squad player, yes. It makes sense as an investment if he's on a low-mid wage.

As a squad player yes but if we are serious about things Poyet needs to realise he simply isn't good enough to be a starter and he certainly doesn't have the temperament.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
A good, solid championship striker with time on his side. I'd be amazed if we let him leave for free. I hope he gets the extension and works his bollocks off trying to make it up to Gus.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
He made a mistake - one that might well have a long and lasting affect on his general attitude and performance.

I for one hope he does stay so he can at least have a chance to fulfil his potential and show he can learn from something like this. And of course, if he's under contract, we can at least get some return on the investment we have put into him should he not be able to compete for a first team place.

Release him and I fully expect he'll be snapped up by another Championship club and we'll all be moaning about how we let a decent young player slip through our fingers. Hell, he might even end up at Palace.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
At what point does he not become an 'young prospect'?

At 23 now, with 190 appearances under his belt, married with child and responsibilities, what has to happen to warrant AB growing up?

I wish I had the same amount of leeway when I was 'growing up'.

How old was Beckham when he was sent off vs the Argies? 23. You're right, no one matures past 23...

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I've seen Ashley Barnes play since his loan spell at Eastbourne Borough. He's improved at a rate of knots every year since then and I have no doubt he'll go on improving. He understands the Poyet philosophy and has benefited from being around technically gifted players. He can also perform well against such players, as we saw in the Arsenal game.

Tripping a referee is probably one of the stupidest ways to get a red card and a lengthy ban, and maybe he'll never live that down. But then some people had decided to hate him long before that incident - indeed I suspect that many of them were annoyed to see him playing so well prior to that game.

In conclusion: I'd be looking to offer him a contract.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
- he's worth a 7 figure sum, ........
That comment has jumped to the top of my "Things you say that you really didnt mean to" chart..... and I suspect it will stay number one for a few weeks to come.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
He seriously needs to buck his ideas up. Good, talented player though.

He's not that talented, he's alright, scores a few goals, very wasteful with other chances though. Decent player but not top lvl championship and we are looking to be promoted are we not?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here