Ashes: 3rd Test @ Perth

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
certainly can criticise him , who else hit it ? also, bearing in mind our position , poor shot selection......South Africans masquerading as Englishmen out !!!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
They say you always remember what you were doing at great moments in history. today I had just pulled up in Sainsbury's car park when Boycott said what a lovely batting track at Perth this tour. Then we lost the Ashes as Cook spanked the ball straight to Warner.

Well thats that folks, it's a mountain now and we are wearing flip flops.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
When will they learn that getting bogged down isn't a good strategy?

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I don't think you can criticise KP for playing that shot, it sat up for him to hit it but it looks like he went a fraction early on it, probably as a result of the difference in pace between johnson and siddle

Course you can. He should of at least had four balls from Siddle before trying to hit him out the park.
Johnson is probably 10-12 mph faster than Siddle.
He had done the hard work then lets his ego over-rule common sense......again.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Why would they know? Let the team who lost the first coin toss decide what they wanted to do after seeing the pitch.

Very true. However, when away choice a 5 day pitch can be prepared and when home choice the pitch can be prepared to go on Day 4.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
When will they learn that getting bogged down isn't a good strategy?

Course you can. He should of at least had four balls from Siddle before trying to hit him out the park.
Johnson is probably 10-12 mph faster than Siddle.
He had done the hard work then lets his ego over-rule common sense......again.

And this is it, he can't win either way. They were pinned down by a sustained period of very good bowling and good field positions that dried the runs up, KP wanted to score and tried to take advantage of one of the few scoring opportunities. With hindsight he got it wrong and should've waited but if we're talking about not getting bogged down we can't castigate people for trying to get the scoreboard going, within reason obviously.

It's a very fine line between the sublime and the ridiculous.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Last chance saloon for England now really - they have to get close to 385. If Aus have a 100 run lead after 1st innings, I think we can say goodbye to the Ashes.

But stranger things have happened - decent knocks from England's middle order with some chipping in from the tail, followed by some decent bowling may see us right back in this series. All hangs on what happens tomorrow morning though.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Last chance saloon for England now really - they have to get close to 385. If Aus have a 100 run lead after 1st innings, I think we can say goodbye to the Ashes.

But stranger things have happened - decent knocks from England's middle order with some chipping in from the tail, followed by some decent bowling may see us right back in this series. All hangs on what happens tomorrow morning though.

It's gone already, even putting 400 on the board will not trouble the aussies unduly. We have 6 wickets left to try to make another 280 and we are scoring too slowly as it is anyway. Frankly They will either winkle us out or constrict our batsmen until they make a mistake re. Cook and KP. Then we are faced with bowling them out on a decent wicket which we can't do, and scoring any runs needed for the win batting 4th which we won't be able to do either. Short of going back in time and starting the tour all over again we are comprehensively stuffed.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Need at least a 200 run lead and that isn't going to happen.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
It's gone already, even putting 400 on the board will not trouble the aussies unduly. We have 6 wickets left to try to make another 280 and we are scoring too slowly as it is anyway. Frankly They will either winkle us out or constrict our batsmen until they make a mistake re. Cook and KP. Then we are faced with bowling them out on a decent wicket which we can't do, and scoring any runs needed for the win batting 4th which we won't be able to do either. Short of going back in time and starting the tour all over again we are comprehensively stuffed.

O right. Are you giving the motivational speech before play tomorrow morning? :rolleyes:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Broad is really irritating - he can bat, but doesn't.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Still think we won't lose this test. Sure we're not going to win it, but I think we will get close enough, or even just passed their first innings score and we'll get a draw. That will put some much needed confidence back into the side, they'll have bit of a re-group over the 9 day break, then smash the Aussies in Melbourne and Sydney and bring the urn home.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
85-0.....180-4.....usual story....hopes of a recovery scuppered by wickets chucked away. They just don't have the resolve or mentality to bat for more than two sessions. It doesn't matter if they are becalmed. Its a five day Test FFS. There's no coming back after this game.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Still think we won't lose this test. Sure we're not going to win it, but I think we will get close enough, or even just passed their first innings score and we'll get a draw. That will put some much needed confidence back into the side, they'll have bit of a re-group over the 9 day break, then smash the Aussies in Melbourne and Sydney and bring the urn home.

Just wish I shared your confidence. Don't see any change in attitude amongst the batsman. They should have targetted batting for best part of two days. All attacking shots left in the locker-room. Grinding it out, over after over. The first two Tests saw wickets regularly gifted to the Aussies...have we learnt...no....Cook and Pietersen still chucking it away. Those two are culpable...Captain and leading batsmen...were fundamental to us saving this game. It just seems that KP doesn't want any responsibility. He'll play solidly for a while and then its mad-dog time, trying to thrash his way out of trouble, with inevitable consequences. He now gives it away so often that he is a liability. He cannot be trusted anymore.
The Aussies know they only have to keep the ball on or around off-stump and we will get out. Don't put any money on Prior or Broad getting us out of this. It just has inevitability written all over it.
The Aussies are nothing special. They are just playing tighter cricket. Batting more responsibly and bowling more accurately. They learnt a lot of lessons in the summer. They knew a number of these England players don't like quick wickets and hostile bowling. They knew Anderson wouldn't be a threat down under. They knew the top order was struggling and was bailed out by Bell. Above all, they knew if they could put early pressure on England, they would crack.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Just a quick one...whilst watching this morning, my boy pointed out someone wearing an Albion shirt sat on the grass! Always nice to see the Albion in attendance!!

I think I saw him. Had a little sort of Trilby hat on?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports