Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashes: 3rd Test @ Perth

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
name one bowler thats bowled well for england as i cant think of one

Broad has bowled well. He's the 2nd highest wicket taker for the series, 13 wickets at 25 isn't too bad, he'd walk into their side. He's just had nothing backing him up at the other end.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Billy, you're doing that thing again when you start of disagreeing with someone, but in your argument you end up agreeing!!

Well spotted :lolol:

I think anybody with eyes and ears can see that this team is playing badly, there's not really any debate to be had there. I'm more concerned with the underlying reasons and what they should be doing to fix it, if I was marking someone's maths homework I'd be more concerned with the workings out than the actual answer!
Just saying they're all crap or over rated doen't tell the whole story.

Janbha

Dec 5, 2008
Hove
Just seen the highlights and though Smith has played very well , but it has to said he scored 48 runs hitting the ball into the very same area , how many runs do you have to score before the fielding side decide to place a fielder exactly where the guy was smashing it for four time after time , very very poor by Cook .

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Just got back from the WACA and despite having a cracking holiday I'm gutted, at 5 down we had them rocked, even when Haddin went at 6 down we had bit of hope.
We are just chilling with our hosts working out the various scenarios, the consensus of opinion is at best;

England have a good morning and restrict the Aussies to 360-370, England then bat and at least three of them put in a performance worthy of the occasion, the wicket is according to the Aussie radio commentary team a bit tamer than was first thought, so we post 300-325 and at least make go of it, going into the last two and a half days.

Worst case, they post 450, we bat mid afternoon having fielded for a day and a half in temperatures which according to Channel 9 that today reached 43.5, the wicket suits Mitchell the shithead and we collapse and are made to follow on.

I'll go with the first one.............

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
When I wake up tomorrow morning, I fully expect either (a) Australia to still be batting (in their FIRST innings) or the England tail to be in, dealing in 4s/6s/W. I will be elated if I wake up and find we're still in the match. It would be progress.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Just got back from the WACA and despite having a cracking holiday I'm gutted, at 5 down we had them rocked, even when Haddin went at 6 down we had bit of hope.
We are just chilling with our hosts working out the various scenarios, the consensus of opinion is at best;

England have a good morning and restrict the Aussies to 360-370, England then bat and at least three of them put in a performance worthy of the occasion, the wicket is according to the Aussie radio commentary team a bit tamer than was first thought, so we post 300-325 and at least make go of it, going into the last two and a half days.

I'll go with the first one.............

So will I. In fact I take it that your hosts are Aussies. They dreamed up the first scenario and Aussies are getting everything right at the moment (unless you want a same sex wedding) SO It WILL HAPPEN........

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Australia will make 500, we'll limp to 240ish......they won't enforce the follow on. Second innings they'll come out swinging, make 300 in no time and declare. We'll lose by about 250 runs.

Our boys will have superb suntans though, so every cloud.......

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Australia will make 500, we'll limp to 240ish......they won't enforce the follow on. Second innings they'll come out swinging, make 300 in no time and declare. We'll lose by about 250 runs.

Our boys will have superb suntans though, so every cloud.......

Thats a fair bet.

I think tomorrow will be the pivotal day of This Ashes Tour, if the convicts get 400+ we are effectively out of this Test match.We need to score 140 runs more than the Aussies first innings and I can't see us scoring 540 in our first innings.

Even if we draw they will be in control of the final two Tests, they can bat out for draws or go for the jugular depending on conditions and circumstances. We will not be allowed to get remotely near the 2 wins we will need to hang on to the urn.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Well spotted :lolol:

I think anybody with eyes and ears can see that this team is playing badly, there's not really any debate to be had there. I'm more concerned with the underlying reasons and what they should be doing to fix it, if I was marking someone's maths homework I'd be more concerned with the workings out than the actual answer!
Just saying they're all crap or over rated doen't tell the whole story.

I am accusing a number of this England team of being overrated, not of being crap. In fact, there are some very good players in the team. I have said on a number of occasions that they are extremely fortunate in playing in an era when the standard of Test Cricket is not particularly high. They have scored a lot of runs and taken a lot of wickets against moderate opposition. The only really decent side is South Africa and we can't beat them.
They are being found out on this tour for the following reasons.
1) Poor preparation. They went into the series on the back of a comfortable win in the summer and didn't expect the Aussies to regroup so quickly. They have and not for the first time. We were complacent.
2) The selectors decided to completely ignore the batting in the summer, where one player almost totally carried the top order and the lower order wagged enough to compensate. They decided to take exactly the same line-up in the hope that they would all regain their form on much faster wickets. Guess what. They haven't.
3) It didn't take a genius to recognise that our no.3 batsman was in serious trouble in the summer. He was all over the place. Yet they threw him in the firing line down under with obvious consequences. They handed Australia such a psychological gift that we are still reeling from it now.
4) The captain and opening bat has now lost his game again.( Not for the first time ) It is painful to watch and guarantees that we will be 20-1 every innings. You have to think the unthinkable. If he isn't going to score a run, why persevere. It would be kinder to rest him. The series is running out and we will be 3-0 down before anyone reacts.
5) They have decided to throw a relatively untried ( at this level ) opener into the fiercest battleground of all. Carberry will struggle because Cook is struggling at the other end and therefore there is too much pressure on him. Root is up and down the order like a fiddler's elbow and because KP keeps chucking it away, Bell is under intense pressure.
6) The whole ethos and attitude of this side is wrong, as epitomised by Prior's recent comments. He stated that England believed in fighting fire with fire and attacking their way out of trouble. Well, we have already seen the evidence of this in the first two tests. If you are going to lose, it is better to lose slowly than quickly. You have to grind your way back. Slowly, inch by inch. Make the opposition spend as much time in the field as possible. Make them work their socks off for victory. Every extra hour they spend in the field helps you further down the line. It makes them stop and think a bit rather than cruise on auto-pilot to victory.
They have got it wrong this team. They are trying to attack when they are on the back foot. The whole squad plus management must sit down and review their attitude. Quick cameo 30's are not good enough. Too many wickets are going too cheaply because players believe they can attack their way out of trouble.
And I haven't even got going on the bowling yet.

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
I am accusing a number of this England team of being overrated, not of being crap. In fact, there are some very good players in the team. I have said on a number of occasions that they are extremely fortunate in playing in an era when the standard of Test Cricket is not particularly high. They have scored a lot of runs and taken a lot of wickets against moderate opposition. The only really decent side is South Africa and we can't beat them.
1) Poor preparation. They went into the series on the back of a comfortable win in the summer and didn't expect the Aussies to regroup so quickly. They have and not for the first time. We were complacent.
2) The selectors decided to completely ignore the batting in the summer, where one player almost totally carried the top order and the lower order wagged enough to compensate. They decided to take exactly the same line-up in the hope that they would all regain their form on much faster wickets. Guess what. They haven't.
3) It didn't take a genius to recognise that our no.3 batsman was in serious trouble in the summer. He was all over the place. Yet they threw him in the firing line down under with obvious consequences. They handed Australia such a psychological gift that we are still reeling from it now.
4) The captain and opening bat has now lost his game again.( Not for the first time ) It is painful to watch and guarantees that we will be 20-1 every innings. You have to think the unthinkable. If he isn't going to score a run, why persevere. It would be kinder to rest him. The series is running out and we will be 3-0 down before anyone reacts.
5) They have decided to throw a relatively untried ( at this level ) opener into the fiercest battleground of all. Carberry will struggle because Cook is struggling at the other end and therefore there is too much pressure on him. Root is up and down the order like a fiddler's elbow and because KP keeps chucking it away, Bell is under intense pressure.
6) The whole ethos and attitude of this side is wrong, as epitomised by Prior's recent comments. He stated that England believed in fighting fire with fire and attacking their way out of trouble. Well, we have already seen the evidence of this in the first two tests. If you are going to lose, it is better to lose slowly than quickly. You have to grind your way back. Slowly, inch by inch. Make the opposition spend as much time in the field as possible. Make them work their socks off for victory. Every extra hour they spend in the field helps you further down the line. It makes them stop and think a bit rather than cruise on auto-pilot to victory.
They have got it wrong this team. They are trying to attack when they are on the back foot. The whole squad plus management must sit down and review their attitude. Quick cameo 30's are not good enough. Too many wickets are going too cheaply because players believe they can attack their way out of trouble.
we are making it so easy for Australia and our batting and bowling has been really poor and it seems we dont want the ashes as i have seen no fight from us

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
we are making it so easy for Australia and our batting and bowling has been really poor and it seems we dont want the ashes as i have seen no fight from us

That's probably the worst aspect of the lot, went to a Xmas party here on Thursday and the Aussies we were drinking with said the self same thing. As I said before me and my lad have had a cracking holiday but I find myself wide awake at 4am worrying about the next days play at the Waca! Yet probably born out supporting the Albion all these years part of me still clings to the hope that today will be the day we turn it around.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

But, other than that, things are not too bad ?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Aus 385. Eng 24/0

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
85/1 Carberry dragged on

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here