Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Ashes 2021-22

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Looked like a poor ball to me, usual pace bowler's legside loosener. The trouble was Burns played all around it. A poor ball but a poorer shot.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a plan to throw in straight /leg side balls early to Burns because his front foot tends to go early to off stump leaving him wide open for the LBW, and inexplicably his leg stump skittled in this case - which he did massively to that first ball. Shaheen Afridi did the same to Burns but got him LBW twice because his front leg goes so far across. It may well have been an unintended ball, but to Burns in the first over, I think it is a delivery you're looking to put in at least 2 or 3 times because he's unlikely to clip you for 4.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
For those saying we should have bowled, surely at least another 20 years or so yet before another England captain puts Australia in at the Gabba!?!

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I am not sure why we are surprised.

Hoping for an exciting series.
Now all momentum is with the Aussies.

5.0 thrashing more likely now.

I've been involved with cricket for 60+ years [playing / coaching] with the last 15 coaching youth county cricket.

I've learned never to judge a game after only one innings, and certainly not a series.

As Greavsie [RIP] used to say [about football] "It's a funny old game" - and this is more true of cricket.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I've been involved with cricket for 60+ years [playing / coaching] with the last 15 coaching youth county cricket.

I've learned never to judge a game after only one innings, and certainly not a series.

As Greavsie [RIP] used to say [about football] "It's a funny old game" - and this is more true of cricket.

Put it this way, last time we managed to get something out of an Ashes series in Australia after losing the first test was 1954. I'm playing close attention the 5-day weather app for Brisbane! :lolol:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Are BT going to have their own commentators at some stage or are we going to have to put up with an array of Aussies starting every sentence with 'Aw Look'. I'd assume BT offered more than simply using the home broadcast feed to get the Ashes gig?

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Are BT going to have their own commentators at some stage or are we going to have to put up with an array of Aussies starting every sentence with 'Aw Look'. I'd assume BT offered more than simply using the home broadcast feed to get the Ashes gig?

Kerry O’Keefe is already getting on my t*ts.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I blame Nasser for this. Ever since he did what he did no English captain is ever going to be brave enough to bowl first at the Gabba again.

You may not be wrong.

It was a green pitch that will calm down in time. Overcast and humid conditions.

A very strange decision not to bowl. Going in without Anderson or Broad is strange too.

The pitches may suit Wood, but Broad and Anderson have played in Australia. Most of this current team haven't.

I'd be interested to know the logic.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol

Afraid so. The official line is covid restrictions about entering the country hence the Aussie feed. Probably also why TMS was broadcasting from Sydney but I assume they have plans to attend where they can subject to state travel restrictions I guess.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Afraid so. The official line is covid restrictions about entering the country hence the Aussie feed. Probably also why TMS was broadcasting from Sydney but I assume they have plans to attend where they can subject to state travel restrictions I guess.

TMS said they will be in place for the 2nd test.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I hope they look for a better summariser for the podcast than Steven Finn.
He’s one of those nice-but dull-types, who doesn’t have the skill or personality to voice an opinion. No insight either. Just banal waffle about how England will be disappointed to only score 147.
Angers will certainly have his work cut out propping him up.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We haven't even bowled yet, not sure why Aggers and others are so hung up on the omission of Broad and Anderson, it's the batting that collapsed.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

Respect for your background.

But this is the England test team and none of the above apply.

Batting in a 5 day game is beyond most English batters. Collapsing has happened time and time again.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Jonathan Agnew was dumbfounded on the subject on R4 this morning.

I don't think there was any logic, either a massive gamble or sheer lunacy.

Hopefully I'm wrong and we skittle them out for 120 . . .can the wicket get greener? :rolleyes:

We'll, we have barely used it :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here