Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Ashes 2021-22

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Buttler showing some commitment, batting for time, not runs. Could our batsmen learn how to do that? Then we might have half a chance next time round.

Maybe he should of thought about that in the 1st innings,
Never a test match batsman or wicket keeper.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Honestly when Jimmy Anderson retires and walks away it won't be through injury or fatigue but surely because he'll just have decided he's had enough of this shit from the batsmen

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I have no problem with losing. I just want to see the team I support put up a fight. Too often these days with this England team that just doesn't happen.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Shocking interview by the captain afterwards, basically throwing the bowlers under the bus saying they didn't bowl as instructed. Something is rotten in that dressing room. Ian Chappell is probably right, there are players looking at the captain's decisions and thinking 'oh no not again'.

He is a deluded man at this point Root. He said 'we competed in pockets in both tests so far' - what pockets are they Joe? Honestly, you can't really be anymore beaten than you've just been in an Ashes series.

England can plod on, not change much and lose 5-0, or try something different, maybe still lose 5-0 but maybe make some progress into 2022.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I have no problem with losing. I just want to see the team I support put up a fight. Too often these days with this England team that just doesn't happen.

This is the third Ashes series in Australia in a row we've taken an absolute pummelling. I could take it in the 90's, we weren't very good and they had one of the best test teams ever, but generally we did show some fight and invariably did ok towards the end of the series when it had been wrapped up. This disaster has been 2 years in the planning against a pretty average Australia side and we supposedly have 3 or 4 of our best ever players. Surely heads should roll? Silverwood first, then Root as captain and Ashley Giles next (how the hell did he end up with his gig after the absolute disaster under him as ODI coach?).

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
This is the third Ashes series in Australia in a row we've taken an absolute pummelling. I could take it in the 90's, we weren't very good and they had one of the best test teams ever, but generally we did show some fight and invariably did ok towards the end of the series when it had been wrapped up. This disaster has been 2 years in the planning against a pretty average Australia side and we supposedly have 3 or 4 of our best ever players. Surely heads should roll? Silverwood first, then Root as captain and Ashley Giles next (how the hell did he end up with his gig after the absolute disaster under him as ODI coach?).

Next captain?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Well said Crodo. This is shaping up to be our 4th series defeat in a row (I know we have an outstanding 5th test v India, but they are 2-1 up). There is a lack of creative thinking about England. We can't find openers or a top order, but are we just looking for a new Cook or Strauss when perhaps we should be looking at a Rohit Sharma or Warner type opener?

India took a chance on Sharma opening the batting, he's batted right through the order from 1 to 6, but found his feet in the top order. It's this kind of thinking England seem to lack, we're just trying to find the next Cook, there aren't any Cooks anymore, you have to have openers who take the ball on early.
[MENTION=258]Pavilionaire[/MENTION] made a point early that test cricket is being sidelined by the short format, but the likes of India, NZ etc. appear to be progressing Test cricket on by playing it in a different attacking manner, utilising the short format skills rather than pretending they belong in a different sport.

England at test level seem stuck a decade or so in the past.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Next captain?

Take the gloves off Buttler, put him up the order a bit and make him captain, bring a proper gloveman in like Foakes.

Let Broad have it for a year or so while you look at a top down review of the side.

Stokes is another candidate if mentally he fancies it.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Take the gloves off Buttler, put him up the order a bit and make him captain, bring a proper gloveman in like Foakes.

Let Broad have it for a year or so while you look at a top down review of the side.

Stokes is another candidate if mentally he fancies it.

Ah…now some proposals..good….I like your idea re Broad…I’d rather see Stokes rebuilding his time back in the game

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Ah…now some proposals..good….I like your idea re Broad…I’d rather see Stokes rebuilding his time back in the game

I mean, I guess my thinking is stop the old thought processes of the best batsman is captain and stays there for a 6 years or whatever. Start thinking a bit more creatively and flexibly. Okay, Broad might not be a long term captain, but can step in and do a job and has all the respect he would need. I think you're right with Stokes as it's enough being an all-rounder. Buttler I think the gloves need taking off him and move him up the order, he showed how like Rohit Sharmer, you can be successful in all formats batting completely differently in each.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here