Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

As a Palace fan...

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Realistic expectations is that we're good enough to be a top 10 side, where we end up will be down to injuries/suspensions/poor form.

There are a number of other sides that I've looked at and think they'll be up there for sure, such as QPR, Burnley, Hull, Boro, Derby, Ipswich and, if they get their act together, Sheff Wed. I'm not saying we're worse than them but they are the teams to beat to get into that top two. Not impossible, but not straight forward either.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
October is a bit of a mixed bag in terms of opposition. Cardiff (in sixth at the moment) at home will be a big test, Leeds and Reading away (both midtable and both capable of winning more than they are) with Bristol City and Preston at home (both aiming to avoid relegation) in the middle.

We should be beating Bristol and Preston, but then I'd say we'd be looking for at least a point from the away games and Cardiff aren't unbeatable.

Maximum points would be a big ask but not out of the question. Then again, you could also argue that a maximum of six points would be equally feasible too.

Fully take on board all this but I meant about the fact that we haven't won a game in October since we moved to the Amex 4 years ago! I'm hoping this is the year the curse is lifted.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
It is - obviously - still way too early to tell. And I suspect the OP knows this very well: the latest hilarious jape amongst the Holmesdale nerds seems to be drawing us into over-confidence based on our cracking start. So they can piss right off.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
We've won 6 out of 7 and drawn 1 - that's just a run of form that we or almost any team in the division could manage at any time during the course of the season. We just happen to have done it from game 1 this year.

We've given ourselves a good early platform, but at this stage that's all it is. There's still 85% of the season to go.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
All teams that do well, need that bit of luck as well. I hope we can stay injury free.

Much rather win luckily when we're not playing too well than looking like world beaters and losing 'unluckily'.

paulie

Jul 27, 2004
It is - obviously - still way too early to tell. And I suspect the OP knows this very well: the latest hilarious jape amongst the Holmesdale nerds seems to be drawing us into over-confidence based on our cracking start. So they can piss right off.

Thanks for your intelligent response, as ever.

Was a genuine question. I know very little about this Albion side. Are you over-performing or have you got the core of a side that can maintain your fast start?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
This time last year Forest has 17 points from 7 matches and were unbeaten at the top - and look what happened there

I had been thinking this as well, but wasn't there some turmoil at The City Ground last season, regarding owners, managers and impending FFP penalties. We seem to be a lot more settled both on and off the pitch, having learned the lessons of a calamitous season last season.

Not sure we'd remain in the automatic places, but the foundations have been laid for a very good tilt at the playoffs at the very least.

paulie

Jul 27, 2004
All we can do is wait and see and keep on cheering the side on till May (by which time I'll probably be a nervous wreck).
This is the best team that's been assembled for a long time - sure we may have had better individuals under Gus but this is an actual team and one that can (hopefully) go places.
A question I'd ask the OP is how many of your games have been moved for Sky since you've been in the PL as that's what really hacks me off.

Too many, but sort of goes with the territory. Our next 3 are 1.30pm Sun, 4pm Sun and 12.45pm Saturday.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
True, those two can play, but we look really good so far.
I certainly don't think there is anyone better than us on current form.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
It doesn't necessary mean we are better than them. I would say the teams below will finish above us.

Burnley, Derby, Hull, Middlesbrough, QPR

And we are in a group with

Ipswich, Wolves, Sheff Wed, Reading, Birmingham and maybe Cardiff

We lack strength in depth quality wise for me and probably could do with someone a bit better than Baldock (who I do like), but isn't prolific enough for me.

It is, of course, too early to pass judgement but there are positive signs. I think the pace at which we are playing (and passing) is the key improvement. It has allowed us to create many more chances and take a lot more shots.

In terms of strength in depth, there is some decent evidence that we are much improved in that regard:

1. We have 2 senior or very promising players for every position.
2. Lat night's bench was: Maenpaa; Zamora; Ince; Manu; Dunk; JFC; Rosenior. That is a strong and experienced bench.
3. The reserve who came into the side last night won MoM.

To the OP, I am genuinely interested in how Palace fans have perceived the pros and cons of the EPL - ticket prices (home and away); TV match time shifts; less games etc. etc.

PG

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Far to early to be even thinking about it, but I would love to play Palace in the top division again as we had a good record against you there. Palace only managed a single point in the four games we played each other, before you went and got yourselves relegated.

paulie

Jul 27, 2004
It is, of course, too early to pass judgement but there are positive signs. I think the pace at which we are playing (and passing) is the key improvement. It has allowed us to create many more chances and take a lot more shots.

In terms of strength in depth, there is some decent evidence that we are much improved in that regard:

1. We have 2 senior or very promising players for every position.
2. Lat night's bench was: Maenpaa; Zamora; Ince; Manu; Dunk; JFC; Rosenior. That is a strong and experienced bench.
3. The reserve who came into the side last night won MoM.

To the OP, I am genuinely interested in how Palace fans have perceived the pros and cons of the EPL - ticket prices (home and away); TV match time shifts; less games etc. etc.

PG

I was thinking about that the other day - when we went up I was convinced we'd go straight down and consoled myself with the fact that you got more games in the Champ, it was a 'real' league etc etc. Now I'd hate to be outside of the PL. You get used to the coverage and taking on the big boys, does help we've beat a few.

There's a bit of context - I live in Cambridge and coach my son's football team, so haven't got a ST. And it's a pain to get tickets when I do get a free Saturday. Going to WBA and Soton before Christmas. To be fair to CPFC2010 they've kept ST prices down.

paulie

Jul 27, 2004
Far to early to be even thinking about it, but I would love to play Palace in the top division again as we had a good record against you in there. Palace only managed a single point in the four games we played each other, before you went and got yourselves relegated.

Yeah, I remember. And all the beatings at the GG in the 1980s. We've pulled it back a bit recently though....

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Was a genuine question. I know very little about this Albion side. Are you over-performing or have you got the core of a side that can maintain your fast start?
After only 7 games we are not sure.

We are correctly odds against to stay in the top two but it is clearly possible that we could do it.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Way too early to even think about it, still there are half a dozen stronger squads than ours in my opinion.

Ask me in April

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I know very little

The chances of this surly little dullard asking a sincere question about our chances on here is about equal with the chances of Steve Evans choosing to forego the last Greggs sausage roll on the buffet table at a Croydon wedding reception.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here