Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Arsenal's Gabriel tests positive for the plague

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm sure a quick look at Blue Moon will reveal a number of posters who believe the whole thing is part of a Rag/Dipper conspiracy to discredit plucky little Citeh.

EFC requesting full transparency from the EPL, has rattled some cages.

Although some bluemoon posters in fairness are slating the EPL as inept, for keeping Everton out of the loop completely until it was a fait accompli.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
As I understand it, the reason for the late postponement wasn't so much to do with how many players City had available to fulfill the fixture, but the fact that the authorities coudn't be 100% certain that all potential cases in the City squad had been identified. Therefore, it seemed to be an unreasonable risk to play the fixture and expose others to the risk of contratcting covid.

No idea how accurate this is but is seems reasonable if so.

This is my understanding, there could be others in the Man City team that have not been identified and the risk was passing it on to the others.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
I am sorry? Can you show me where this happened? The link you provided does not mention this?

I believe [MENTION=21064]easy[/MENTION]10 is referring to the March fixture being one of the first fixtures cancelled

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Back at the end of last season Storrington FC refused to play a game against a side that had had a player test positive, the team they were due to play were in agreement, they’d even pencilled in a date to rearrange the match for. The League, however, disagreed and fined Storrington FC for refusing to fulfil a fixture. Thankfully they had a later FA Vase game and the prize money they got allowed them to pay the fine without screwing up their cashflow.

Great to know the FA and it’s subsidiaries are in touch with what’s going on.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
EFC requesting full transparency from the EPL, has rattled some cages.

Although some bluemoon posters in fairness are slating the EPL as inept, for keeping Everton out of the loop completely until it was a fait accompli.

It does beg the question why there isn’t full transparency in the first place. Seems odd to me.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not Man City fault they wanted to play the PL said no

No. Citeh requested it.

276E11E9-681E-413E-8D89-3C257789235F.png

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I think it's a pipe dream to think that you can 100% successfully isolate footballers from the rest of the population. They are human beings with families who also come into contact with others at work.

Ha ha ... yeh i'm sure the wives picked it up whilst working at the checkout

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

It might come as a surprise but it's not only footballers who work at football clubs.

I'll repeat, it's a pipedream to think that footballers can be fully isolated from the virus "bubble" or not.

You have a group of players (and staff) that have been given "immunity" from the social controls that most of use live under. Because they obviously don't have to adhere to social distancing it shouldn't be surprising that when one person becomes infected it quickly infects others.

In comparison a number of TV productions have continued with the whole cast and crew (including caterers and cleaning staff) completely quarantined in hotels before and after the production.

You can't do that easily with football obviously.

Last edited:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
About time all games were indefinitely postponed, hospitals full, new strain going round, record infections. Football is not above all if this, they are not essential work and they should all be required to stay at home and not mix.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

They have children who have been at school. Seven days incubation period, so,unsurprisingly it shows up this week.
The only other way is to isolate players from their own families.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
They are supposed to be in bubbles how the hell do they catch it? I assume the homelife is not so covid friendly.......for the money they get paid you would think they would have more sense.

Footballers aren't in some sort of bio-secure bubble of the kind that England's cricketers have been.

Footballers go home, they have partners (who may work), children (who go to school) and although I'm sure most will try to limit close contact with others, sooner or later most will have some contact with others and the risk of transmission is present with each and every contact.

Why is Covid any worse than other injuries? All players can be tested again, so you know those playing are clear. What’s the issue?

Whilst not worse, a Covid-19 infection is certainly completely different to a regular physical injury.

Because if a player is injured it impacts no-one but themselves. If a player has Covid-19, he could pass it on to anyone, and although footballers are fit and healthy young men and low risk, somewhere down any chain of transmission, there will be people who are not.

Given the current parlous situation in much of the country, we surely have to try and stop most of a whole squad, their coaching and medical staff and others who work at training grounds becoming infected, taking it home and spreading things far and wide.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Footballers aren't in some sort of bio-secure bubble of the kind that England's cricketers have been.

Footballers go home, they have partners (who may work), children (who go to school) and although I'm sure most will try to limit close contact with others, sooner or later most will have some contact with others and the risk of transmission is present with each and every contact.

Whilst not worse, a Covid-19 infection is certainly completely different to a regular physical injury.

Because if a player is injured it impacts no-one but themselves. If a player has Covid-19, he could pass it on to anyone, and although footballers are fit and healthy young men and low risk, somewhere down any chain of transmission, there will be people who are not.

Given the current parlous situation in much of the country, we surely have to try and stop most of a whole squad, their coaching and medical staff and others who work at training grounds becoming infected, taking it home and spreading things far and wide.

Two Newcastle players are in a really bad way due to covid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here