Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Arsenal’s Ben White

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
The amazing thing about this is we are about sell a player for an unbelievable sum of money yet not weaken our first 11!

I say this as a big fan of White but in fact, with Lamptey back at RWB and a back three of Veltman, Dunk and Webster I think we're even stronger. Top work all round from the coaches and recruitment department.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Good deal all round.
Money for the club to reinvest.
White gets a significant pay rise, will play a lot for Arsenal which will progress his England career
Shows the young players that we are attracting that there is a route into the first team and onto a 'bigger' club.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
assuming he does go for that I'll have seen Ross McNally play for the Albion live infinitely more times than our £50M defender.

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
£50 million (and add-ons, I assume) for a player who cost us very little, who can't head the ball particularly well and has only one season of Premier League football under his belt. And plays in a position where we're already strong. Bloody hell.

Great deal for us, even if he does become the next Virgil Van Dijk, as it shows players who we might want to sign that we won't stop them going on to better things (if you think Arsenal under this manager is that much better. I'm not convinced personally).

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Slightly disappointing if true - I think he could have done better, but the timing isn't right - at the moment, if VVD and Gomez are fit, he doesn't start at Liverpool (though he'd give Gomez a pretty good run for his money), same applies at Citeh or Chelski. Spurs can't afford him, Everton might have been a good move - part of the Rafa-lution, and Rafa knows a thing oor two about defending. Surprised United haven't had a nibble - I've read somewhere (yes, probably on here!) that old Slabhead wouldn't be averse to a partnership with our Ben. But I guess his agent, like last year, is bending his ear to get big bucks quickly - never mind the quality, feel the width and all that.

Still, £50 million quid is £50 million quid - I guess that will appease some of the disappointment ........................ and with most of his appearances for us behind closed door, in a year or two it'll feel like he was never really here anyway.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Naylor now sucking up to Ornstein on twitter but couldn't report anything the other week until Barber and co had given him the go ahead.

God i hate the way our press is managed these days.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

From what I've heard it's more likely he knew that Ornstein was wrong to say the deal was almost done but didn't think it would be professionally wise to contradict another Athleticist.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Not denying a good move for the club and Ben, but posters saying it ‘won’t weaken us’ wind me up. Played pretty much every minute last year, in a defence that conceded very few (especially once we put a decent keeper behind them), and superb at helping us build out from the back. And the idea we don’t need to buy also a nonsense. We play 3 CBs and we’ll need two RBs. Lamptey, Veltman, Dunk, Webster, Burn will not be enough. We’ll miss him, and will need to buy a replacement, even with one or two stepping up.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
£50 million (and add-ons, I assume) for a player who cost us very little, who can't head the ball particularly well and has only one season of Premier League football under his belt. And plays in a position where we're already strong. Bloody hell.

Great deal for us, even if he does become the next Virgil Van Dijk, as it shows players who we might want to sign that we won't stop them going on to better things (if you think Arsenal under this manager is that much better. I'm not convinced personally).

Great deal. Wow!!! We’ve just sold a player for 50mil. Little old Brighton.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Now that it seems imminent he's off, id like to be the first declare I always thought he was shit and we'll be better off without him!

super ads

Jul 14, 2009
Not denying a good move for the club and Ben, but posters saying it ‘won’t weaken us’ wind me up. Played pretty much every minute last year, in a defence that conceded very few (especially once we put a decent keeper behind them), and superb at helping us build out from the back. And the idea we don’t need to buy also a nonsense. We play 3 CBs and we’ll need two RBs. Lamptey, Veltman, Dunk, Webster, Burn will not be enough. We’ll miss him, and will need to buy a replacement, even with one or two stepping up.

Well said that man. People who think he is our 3rd best CB must be missing something. By far our best player at bringing it out. By far our best passer in the defence. By far our quickest CB. He won’t be missed........ not sure about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

super ads

Jul 14, 2009
The amazing thing about this is we are about sell a player for an unbelievable sum of money yet not weaken our first 11!

I say this as a big fan of White but in fact, with Lamptey back at RWB and a back three of Veltman, Dunk and Webster I think we're even stronger. Top work all round from the coaches and recruitment department.

Are you suggesting that by selling White our team is better? [emoji2373][emoji2373][emoji2373]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Agreed and sad to see him go

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
How much of the £50000000 do we have to give Leeds ?

"Nothing you say ?"

c27523e988116ba2e1440db64b92a0f2.jpg

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Blimey. In the last couple of weeks, Albion must have had at least one movement a day. That's probably more than Harry Wilson's tackle !

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Surprised. Was expecting he'd go to a Champions League team, for sure. Gobsmacked by the price. Amazing work by Bloomy.

edit - oh well, saw him once in the (thin) stripes I guess, even though he was done up like a turkey by Foden.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
How far we have come in the 10 years since the Amex opened

Is £50m more than every previous player sale combined ? Can’t be far off surely

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Surprised. Was expecting he'd go to a Champions League team, for sure. Gobsmacked by the price. Amazing work by Bloomy.

edit - oh well, saw him once in the (thin) stripes I guess, even though he was done up like a turkey by Foden.

Foden did him once, on speed, for the goal. Other than that one occasion, Foden had a pretty miserable game against White.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here