Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Arsenal’s Ben White

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
You've turned White signing a new contract into evidence he wanted to leave?

He was always going to be getting a better deal once he proved he was good enough. Like every young player that has made the step up with us, they've been given first-team contracts.

Any reason it was signed after the rejected offers and not earlier in the process?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
England’s Ben White

I'm sorry. What QUOTE are you after for my opinion that it was clear he would have gone to Leeds. You want me to find a quote from our player saying he wants to move before it's happened??? I've told you. It's my opinion that it was obvious. Stop.worrying about what people said or club-released PR

Well look at it this way. Let’s break it down.

We have plenty of evidence that Ben was happy to come back here after Leeds.

- didn’t make a transfer request
- signed a new 4 year deal
- interviews at the time
- despite someone up thread saying how “unhappy” Ben looked, his social media seems quite the opposite, how proud he was of the boys in various results. He said he was “never prouder” in football than our result at Anfield
- Brighton Twitter has actually referenced things subtly by posting Ben White smiling threads (which I linked above)
- his on record admiration of Dunky
- his message to Leeds fans was his way of getting closure.

And your evidence is, “a feeling” ultimately that it’s blindingly obvious he wanted to go back to Leeds.

I rest my case.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Well look at it this way. Let’s break it down.

We have plenty of evidence that Ben was happy to come back here after Leeds.

- didn’t make a transfer request
- signed a new 4 year deal
- interviews at the time
- despite someone up thread saying how “unhappy” Ben looked, his social media seems quite the opposite, how proud he was of the boys in various results. He said he was “never prouder” in football than our result at Anfield
- his on record admiration of Dunky
- his message to Leeds fans was his way of getting closure.

And your evidence is, “a feeling” ultimately that it’s blindingly obvious he wanted to go back to Leeds.

I rest my case.

Wow. You LOVE club PR.

I believe it was clear but you're right, he did increase his salary on 1st september after bids through August and did say in a club-released video he was happy with a contract so it must mean he never would have joined Leeds

Clearly we will.disagree on this, but I do find it amusing what you use as evidence when that is your big issue with my gut feeling.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Hopefully for Ben it goes through before Tuesday so he walks straight into the England Team. Southgate-bot 2000 knows no other way.

Hopefully for him and us, it doesn't. As many here have said, he can do better than Arsenal and I think we can do better than £50m. If Slabhead was worth £80m (he wasn't), White is worth more than £50m. I think White's better of the two and that the future will pan out to show this.

Last edited:

White Fan man

Oct 25, 2020
I'm sorry. What QUOTE are you after for my opinion that it was clear he would have gone to Leeds. You want me to find a quote from our player saying he wants to move before it's happened??? I've told you. It's my opinion that it was obvious. Stop.worrying about what people said or club-released PR

It wouldn't have looked good on a young player to force through a move at that stage of his career. I believe he did want to come to Leeds but Brighton insisted, and it was always their right, to, that they would not sell him to Leeds. I heard the last Leeds offer was 30m and unless Ben didn't want to come I don't think they would have made this third bid. All ended well - Brighton stayed up, they will get an offer that is extremely large from Arsenal but it does mean that any player you try and buy will cost you a fair bit more too. Ben will get to play for a huge club and no doubt a salary to match.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
England’s Ben White

Wow. You LOVE club PR.

I believe it was clear but you're right, he did imcrease his salary and say I a club-released video he was happy with a contract so it must mean he never would have joined Leeds

Clearly we will.disagree on this, but I do find it amusing what you use as evidence when that is your big issue with my gut feeling.

Happy to disagree. I just prefer to take emotion out and look at the evidence.

If he truly wanted to go back to Leeds, one way or another it’d have happened.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Wouldn't you improve your salary if you were staying somewhere!!??

Don't tell me you believe in players actually committing to the years in their contracts. By that logic you expect Ben to turn down a move this summer and say "sorry guys. I have 3 years on my deal and I'd feel awful to.et them down"

It's.ok to accept players want to better themselves.

But if you are desperate to leave somewhere you don't commit to stay a minute longer, you run down your contract knowing you are off to 'better things' elsewhere.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
It wouldn't have looked good on a young player to force through a move at that stage of his career. I believe he did want to come to Leeds but Brighton insisted, and it was always their right, to, that they would not sell him to Leeds. I heard the last Leeds offer was 30m and unless Ben didn't want to come I don't think they would have made this third bid. All ended well - Brighton stayed up, they will get an offer that is extremely large from Arsenal but it does mean that any player you try and buy will cost you a fair bit more too. Ben will get to play for a huge club and no doubt a salary to match.

Utterly deluded.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

Absolutely. Clubs don't make 3 bids if the players representatives haven't expressed an interest. It's a monumental waste of time.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
But if you are desperate to leave somewhere you don't commit to stay a minute longer, you run down your contract knowing you are off to 'better things' elsewhere.

Thank you. Exactly.

If Ben didn’t renew we’d have been under severe pressure to sell else we could have lost him for pittance.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
In a world where contracts matter

We are talking about football

This summer harry kane has basically told everyone he is leaving and it's his choice....and that's with years left on his current deal.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Blooms always been clear that if a player wants to leave, and the price is right. He wouldn't stand in the way.

We didn't want to sell, and Ben didn't want to leave. It's really that simple.

The price wasn’t right and we didn’t want to sell to a “relegation rival”

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Thank you. Exactly.

If Ben didn’t renew we’d have been under severe pressure to sell else we could have lost him for pittance.

He had two years plus a third year option by the club remaining on his deal when he signed his 4 year deal

He wasn't going to run down a 3 year deal.was he!!

We basically extended a 3 year deal to 4. He got a better salary. Anyone would sign that.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Amazing how much weight people put on players signing contracts. Can't wait for Ben to refuse to move because he still has 3 years with us.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
When asked whether White was disappointed,*Alex Levack told Sky Sports: "Of course. He enjoyed his time at Leeds incredibly. They looked after him so well, the fans were fantastic to him. But when a football club don't want to sell it's very difficult.

"There was a tinge of disappointment but that passed quickly, Ben's head is fully at Brighton and he wants to get cracking in the Premier League now."

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Amazing how much weight people put on players signing contracts. Can't wait for Ben to refuse to move because he still has 3 years with us.

You said:

“It was blindingly obvious” that Ben wanted to go to Leeds.

Respectfully, you’re now going down a rabbit hole of contracts (of course there’s a degree of self preservation in football contracts), but I’ve yet to see, or understand from you why you feel it’s so “blindingly obvious he wanted to go to Leeds”.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here