Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Arsenal vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Villa away this season. Newcastle away last season , Everton home last season. Arsenal home last season !!
Yesterday was 1st time we were outplayed for 90+ mins. Those games yes, we were well beaten but no one has completely outclassed us like Arsenal did yesterday. To restrict us to only 1 good chance (Gross) and Jack's header compared to the onslaught they gave our defence was something else.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Yesterday was 1st time we were outplayed for 90+ mins. Those games yes, we were well beaten but no one has completely outclassed us like Arsenal did yesterday. To restrict us to only 1 good chance (Gross) and Jack's header compared to the onslaught they gave our defence was something else.
Yep, first team to stop us playing through them. Very impressive. Tiredness and injuries played a part in that but no other team has done it.

On the other hand, their fans.... and particularly the Ashburton army. They were hilarious. Banging a drum, waving arms and being silent beyond the drumming was very odd.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
It occurs to me that they bought a 100 million pound player and we sold two equally good, or better, since we last played them. A small thing perhaps but added to all the others we can be fairly satisfied with the outcome. I know I am. I was expecting far worse.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
And with only 49% possession.

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
On the other hand, their fans.... and particularly the Ashburton army. They were hilarious. Banging a drum, waving arms and being silent beyond the drumming was very odd.
Is that what they're called. They were highly entertaining.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

Yes.

My 'You're just a shit Crystal Palace ' didn't catch on

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The Times marks
5 for Verbruggen, Milner, Lallana, Ferguson.
All others 6
I say The Times don't have a clue about goalkeepers. Can go with a lower mark for the other three, but Bart was very good. The odd misplaced pass, granted, but their press and organisation was probably the best we've played against under RDZ.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I say The Times don't have a clue about goalkeepers. Can go with a lower mark for the other three, but Bart was very good. The odd misplaced pass, granted, but their press and organisation was probably the best we've played against under RDZ.
The second goal did appear to go straight through him. And not great for the first goal.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The second goal did appear to go straight through him. And not great for the first goal.
There were several very good saves in there. In terms of the second goal, most one-on-ones which lead to a goal involve the striker playing the ball through the keeper. In terms of the first, literally no idea what you're on about. If you want to blame anyone, it'd be whoever was supposed to be marking Jesus or, alternatively, our coaching team for not getting them to mark players. What was Bart supposed to do for that goal?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
There were several very good saves in there. In terms of the second goal, most one-on-ones which lead to a goal involve the striker playing the ball through the keeper. In terms of the first, literally no idea what you're on about. If you want to blame anyone, it'd be whoever was supposed to be marking Jesus or, alternatively, our coaching team for not getting them to mark players. What was Bart supposed to do for that goal?
Not give the ball straight to them, leading to a corner from which they score?

tstanbur

Sep 16, 2011
Not give the ball straight to them, leading to a corner from which they score?
He was poor dealing with the corner too
he completely flapped at the corner. That was his to claim before JPVH got his head to it

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Coming off second best to the league leaders, I am shocked

These are a very good side and I honestly think it will be their year this time around.

They were simply better than us, no yellow card impact though for the more important of the two games on Thursday.
I agree with you. If de Bruyne comes back well City may run them close, but I think they’re quite a bit better than the other sides up there

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
He was poor dealing with the corner too

he completely flapped at the corner. That was his to claim before JPVH got his head to it

Thank you for posting this, and providing some clear evidence. You've changed my mind. That said, I don't fully agree that it's 'his to claim' but I would agree that if he goes for it, he's got to get to it and if he can't get to it, he shouldn't go for it. If he didn't, he might have had a better chance of getting in a position to save Jesus' header.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Thank you for posting this, and providing some clear evidence. You've changed my mind. That said, I don't fully agree that it's 'his to claim' but I would agree that if he goes for it, he's got to get to it and if he can't get to it, he shouldn't go for it. If he didn't, he might have had a better chance of getting in a position to save Jesus' header.
Brilliant post - the benefit of keeping an open mind!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here