Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Arsenal attendances

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I went to the Emirates last season when they played Orient in the FA Cup replay, there were no more than 40k there and they announced 57k ... personally find it ridiculous.

No it isn't, it's all done electronically. This is the 21 century, those scanners you swipe your ticket under are sending this info back to a server somewhere. It will give you an accurate figure at the click of a button
The information being presented to the City Council's planners (in connection with the application to expand the ground) includes a breakdown of the actual times that ticket holders pass through the gates to enter the stadium, during the early part of this season. This information is being used to show that pre-match transport doesn't have to be planned on the basis that most people turn up in the 30 minutes before kick-off.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Milton Keynes is the funniest. They announce the tickets they'd like to sell... Announced attendance 12,500; tickets sold 50; actual attendance 3 men and a pigeon.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
People on here ready to have another pop at Arsenal fans - it pisses me right off.

Ticket prices rise every single season at the Emirates despite not winning a trophy since 2005, nearly SEVEN years now. A season ticket costs on average nearly 2k now. Throw in travel costs, food, drink, a programme and you're looking at a very expensive day out every fortnight. There was no investment in the team during January when it was badly needed. Don't you think the fans have a right to be fed-up and a few season tickets holders stay away now and again, including yesterday when the victoria line tube had engineering works?

Brighton couldn't sell out for the FA Cup 3rd round match on a Saturday afternoon and and yet I hardly saw any empty seats for Arsenal's tie against Leeds when it was switched to a cold, Monday night (60,000 certainly there) for ESPN's benefit. Let's not throw stones from glass houses eh? Once the novelty of the AMEX has worn off it'll be interesting to see if season ticket holders attend every game.

Rant over.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
People on here ready to have another pop at Arsenal fans - it pisses me right off.

Ticket prices rise every single season at the Emirates despite not winning a trophy since 2005, nearly SEVEN years now. A season ticket costs on average nearly 2k now. Throw in travel costs, food, drink, a programme and you're looking at a very expensive day out every fortnight. There was no investment in the team during January when it was badly needed. Don't you think the fans have a right to be fed-up and a few season tickets holders stay away now and again, including yesterday when the victoria line tube had engineering works?

Brighton couldn't sell out for the FA Cup 3rd round match on a Saturday afternoon and and yet I hardly saw any empty seats for Arsenal's tie against Leeds when it was switched to a cold, Monday night (60,000 certainly there) for ESPN's benefit. Let's not throw stones from glass houses eh? Once the novelty of the AMEX has worn off it'll be interesting to see if season ticket holders attend every game.

Rant over.
Er, this is a Brighton board so yes we'll continue to mock the people who are by common consent the worst fans in London. f*** off to an Arsenal board if you don't like it where you might find some people who give a shit.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I dont know if anyone else noticed yesterday but doing the maths when the attendance was announced resulted in exactly 18000 brighton fans at the game

Yet if that game was at Selhurst it would've been abbounced as 22,300 or whatever capacity is.

I made this point re the palace one - EVERY club should do attendances the same way or it's not a fair / accurate comparisson. Also, the Sussex police guy on twitter when saying re palaces LIE that 2 attendances are given - 1 tickets sold and one actual people through the gate. I guess that it's up to each club to choose which to use - silly.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Rant over.

The ones protesting are a joke. all they've experienced for DECADES is success and top 4 finishes galore etc. I'd like them to know what it's like being at the bottom of L1 for a few yrs running etc - then see if they think they should 'protest'

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Someone should point out to Palace that they are no longer in the Premier League - and probably wont be for a very long time.

I'll give you that happily, I just meant it came up in the thread about Palace attendance. Someone conjectured that it was a hold over from their PL days and they hadn't bothered to change.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
To be fair, by counting fans our way we get to avoid paying tax :cool:

No we don't. If you think about it, the club has already received the money from STH, so have to account for it regardless of whether they choose to attend or not.

What the Albion did save however at Withdean was the amount they paid to the travel companies, as this was a flat sum multiplied by the number physically attending the game.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Yet if that game was at Selhurst it would've been abbounced as 22,300 or whatever capacity is.

I made this point re the palace one - EVERY club should do attendances the same way or it's not a fair / accurate comparisson. Also, the Sussex police guy on twitter when saying re palaces LIE that 2 attendances are given - 1 tickets sold and one actual people through the gate. I guess that it's up to each club to choose which to use - silly.

You do have a point, but perhaps we are the ones in the wrong, and the other clubs are the ones in the right, in the sense that of tickets for 60,000 seats at Arsenal were sold, then they are entitled to state that.

If the Albion did that then we would be showing something closer to capacity each match, whereas at present the club are sending out conflicting messages in that (1) the match is sold out, but (2) the attendance is 2,000 below capacity (as in yesterday).

Does it really matter though?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
What I don't understand about Arsenal is how they can come up with these capacity crowds for their FA Cup games. In the league, fair enough, they probably have sold 60,000 tickets so I can see where that figure comes from. But I watched a little bit of their cup games against Villa last week and there were huge areas of empty seats. Out of interest, I went on their site to find out the attendance and it said 60,015 I think. They obviously haven't sold that many tickets, with STHs having to buy their seats for the game, so how can they come up with that number still?

I may be wrong, but it could be that they have a similar scheme to that of MUFC, who automatically allocate a ticket (and debit bank accounts) to all STH when the club has a home cup match. It is an insidious cash collection policy, but is stated in the T&C of the club. It certainly has upset a lot of United fans, all of whom had to pay for their club's home match against Palace (for example) even though many did not want to watch the match.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It is possible to record two figures. Attendance is the amout of people who went. Tickets sold is the number of tickets sold. Exactly what it says on the tin, just be clear about what you're announcing.

Not sure what HMRC has to do with it, they're not sitting in every ground listening to the attendance being called out, all they care about is amount of revenue not tickets sold.

Exactly. 2 entirely separate things:

Attendance is exactly that. Those there on the day & Arsenal's electronic system will have this every time.(But not revealed as it would put a measure of discontent in public knowledge).
It's an ego thing at that club where they want to falsely portray 60,000 to 61,000 there every game, whilst they boldly march on to no trophies for a 7th season.

Everyone spotted the lie over the last 2 years doldrums with masses of empty seats not just in the club deck.

Whereas Anfield, Old Trafford & White Hart Lane visibly packed to the rafters at every game.

Emirates - a result of too many hooray henry new fans who are fair weather & giving up on the barren years.

Match day revenue & HMRC. HMRC are only interested in monetary figures in a VAT quarter or audited accounting year, and don't give a monkeys about people in the stadium.

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Good point, I didn't think of that. That could well explain it. That rule is possibly one of the most disgraceful of all in football, especially at the big clubs where both high tickets prices and plenty of cup games are the norm.

I agree with you totally, it is obscene and exploitative. I have a mate who is a United STH, who had to pay on top of his ST £38-47 a match for 2 FA Cup matches, 1 in the League Cup and 6 in the Champions League.

D

Deleted member 18477

Rant over.

im pretty sure that if bobby zamora had returned to brighton on loan that we'd have sold out. just saying...

and also, brighton is a club growing. arsenal are an established giant in football. you SHOULD be selling out every game. you have about 30,000 people on the ST waiting list! and aout 100,000 members! thats on top of your 35-40k ST holders?

get fed up? WTF have arsenal fans got to be fed up about? you've won a load of titles, been playing champions league football for years, had some of the best players in the world grace your turf and had a fantastic new stadium built very recently! others would kill to have had all that in the last 20 years!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
im pretty sure that if bobby zamora had returned to brighton on loan that we'd have sold out. just saying...

and also, brighton is a club growing. arsenal are an established giant in football. you SHOULD be selling out every game. you have about 30,000 people on the ST waiting list! and aout 100,000 members! thats on top of your 35-40k ST holders?

get fed up? WTF have arsenal fans got to be fed up about? you've won a load of titles, been playing champions league football for years, had some of the best players in the world grace your turf and had a fantastic new stadium built very recently! others would kill to have had all that in the last 20 years!

Brighton tell the truth and attendance means that. Wenger & Gazaridis are personally pained to admit that numbers are far less than the magical 60,000, after the Emirates project never produced the trophies.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here