Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Argus's assessment of last night.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
He covers the local team for the local paper-neutrality shouldn't come into it. Especially with the team having a reasonable season. The Arsegas needs somebody with some passion for The Albion covering our games.

Sorry, but that is absolute bobbins.

The job of a reporter is to report the news – in an objective way. Not to coo over the club and what it's achieved.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think he has a point. He is a neutral reporter, as he should be. And makes some reasonable points, but many on here take them personally and twist his words in a way to attack him.
If he understood football and was neutral, that would be great. But he either doesn't understand football, or he wants to criticise us just for the reaction. Either way, it means I don't waste time reading his articles. I don't twist his words, that's not in my interest, I just give my honest opinion. He said the Brighton fans were wrong, and that Barton didn't deserve a straight red for the stamp on Kayal, as he was watching the ball and had nowhere to go. Naylor was wrong.
He really is not that relevant anymore so just ignore him. He is only doing his job.
If he did his job well I'd like reading what he has to say, as I'm interested in BHA. But he's bad at his job and that's why I give him stick.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well it's a simple mistake I guess not a "lie"
The thing is there' more than 1 thread running on the website, so saying "Thread running on your website is a lie" doesn't make it clear what he was referring too. But yes, El Pres has got the wrong man.

but it has provoked the usual unwarranted attacks on him so I'd feel annoyed
Don't try and put yourself in his position. You don't write complete crap, so you'd be write to be annoyed if you got the criticism he gets.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
"It looked like they would have to settle for a point, which was arguably the most they deserved."

We weren't great in the second half, but saying we should have lost seems very harsh. Before scoring we controlled the game well IMO.

With the exception of the Lansbury chance Forest created little.

Hemed was denied a goal by an excellent save. He looked knackered but kept plodding on.

I guess the myriad people who've taken to slagging off Andy Naylor on this thread for writing this are going to turn their same disgust-fuelled fire on Brian Owen instead.

He's the one who wrote that opinion, not Naylor.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Me bad, got the author wrong. Apologies to AN on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RyFish

Dec 6, 2011
If he understood football and was neutral, that would be great.

He said the Brighton fans were wrong, and that Barton didn't deserve a straight red for the stamp on Kayal, as he was watching the ball and had nowhere to go. Naylor was wrong.
If he did his job well I'd like reading what he has to say, as I'm interested in BHA. But he's bad at his job and that's why I give him stick.

In which case Hughton and Kayal were wrong too - do they also not understand football?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Me bad, got the author wrong. Apologies to AN on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know the title of the thread has now been changed, but in the interests of fairness, it should say Brian Owen now, instead of Argus. Fans will still assume Argus means Naylor.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
In which case Hughton and Kayal were wrong too - do they also not understand football?
They're in a completely different position as to what they should say for the benefit of the team. If Kayal was moaning after the game that the challenge was bad, he'd look weak and other teams would be more likely to leave one in on him. Instead he just took it like a man and said everything was fine. I'm not sure about Hughton's approach of never (ever) complaining, but that's the way he conducts himself. As has been said, the team want to focus on the next game, not get involved in a war of words.

It was clear that Barton deliberately stamped on Kayal. If you can't see that, perhaps a friend can explain it to you.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Woah....

Hughton and Kayal said what they said to draw a quick line under the event, and move focus onto the next game.

It worked, we focused and won 2 aways.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
People should stop quoting, following and reading Naylor. He is irrelevant and just on a constant wind up.
I've blocked him on Twitter and general just ignore him...he's no better than a 14 year old web troll trying to get attention.

Andy Naylor..... Just ignore him.
Like many other Albion supporters I have no time for the bloke.

Naylor is irrelevant these days.

He doesn't understand football...he's bad at his job and that's why I give him stick.

I don't dislike the man, I don't know the man, I dislike the shit he writes.

No wonder Naylor isn't keen on some of the things that are said about him on here. Just astonishing and totally unwarranted.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
"It looked like they would have to settle for a point, which was arguably the most they deserved."

We weren't great in the second half, but saying we should have lost seems very harsh.

Umm... leaving aside the Naylor/Owen confusion, it says a draw is "arguably the most" Albion deserved, not "more than" we deserved - ie a draw would have been fair; we didn't deserve to win.

That's not the same as saying we "should have lost"!

Apart from that, great thread! :moo:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I disagree.
Me too.

At one time The Argus was important to The Albion and was people's only source of information, reports, news, etc. Now for news and up to date information The Arsegas is the last place I go. I don't have a particular dislike of Naylor but I would rather have an 'Albion person' covering the club.

I'd say it was a pretty fair assessment. Forest looked more likely to find a winner from what I could see through my fingers.

Quite - Forest definitely were the better team in the second half. Argus not suggesting we deserved to lose just that a point each would have been the logical result. As we all know, football is never logical over a single game, only an entire season

Me too.

At one time The Argus was important to The Albion and was people's only source of information, reports, news, etc. Now for news and up to date information The Arsegas is the last place I go. I don't have a particular dislike of Naylor but I would rather have an 'Albion person' covering the club.

You do - it's called the club website

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here