Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Argus: Vicente describes Poyet as the worst person he has come across in football

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
I must admit my stance on Gus softened a tad when I saw his email. Now this Vicente article comes out and again I think I support Gus on this one too. Vicente has an obvious axe to grind as he wanted out last summer. And as for the article itself, typical argus crap. A good journo would have asked some questions we'd all lilke answers to, such as his injury status for the Palace game etc..

Still, best for all concerned if all this can be put to bed quickly now and we move on. Can't see that happening and agree with Bozza that the club are behind some of this.

Last edited:

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
How do you post a tweet? As the following goes against what @bozza is suggesting.

Brian Owen ‏@Brian__Owen 41m
Vicente spoke to The Argus in an interview arranged by us through his agent - obviously not through the club on this occasion! #bhafc.

daniel blackman ‏@danielblackman1 34m
@Brian__Owen seems a well planted story to suit #bhafc agenda .

Brian Owen ‏@Brian__Owen 21m
@danielblackman1 first they knew was when they bought the paper today.
Expand

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
It is not impossible that the club instructed Vicente to spill some dirt on Poyet - and the amazing Andy Naylor became the beneficiary. Yes, I know journalists have to protect their relationship very carefully with their local club, other wise they are frozen out, but I'd like some more real journalism from Naylor on this whole story.

I'd also like much greater dignity from the club that we all follow. Most of us could describe crazy things that happen in our workplace, but the day to day management at Brighton seems to have been very unprofessional for quite a while, and I include our newish CEO in that. Tony Bloom is unquestionably a pretty good guy, but the lunatics under him are running the asylum on a day to day basis.

If the story is that Paul Barber sat in his office and said "how can we get some dirt out ?" and came up with "hey, Vicente, before you b~gger off back to Valencia, go and have lunch with Naylor and tell him that Poyet's a tosser please", I'd look on this pretty dimly.

I would point out that the "most successful manager in British history" is leaving his job this weekend. He has been lauded as a virtual saint, but we all know that he is also a dreadful bully, and the phrase "hairdryer treatment" is something to be sniggered at nowadays. But he won things, time and time again. Clough was precisely the same. Ferguson banned journalists on a daily basis for writing quite innocuous things.

I don't think Andy Naylor will be breaking the Gus Poyet side of the story any time soon. But a good journalist would.

The club need to sort out this horrible shambles with some real management and dignity right away. I like others feel a growing embarrassment, and I'm getting angry that I have invested a lot supporting this club, and behind the scenes it was simply an ugly mess.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
It is not impossible that the club instructed Vicente to spill some dirt on Poyet - and the amazing Andy Naylor became the beneficiary. Yes, I know journalists have to protect their relationship very carefully with their local club, other wise they are frozen out, but I'd like some more real journalism from Naylor on this whole story.

I'd also like much greater dignity from the club that we all follow. Most of us could describe crazy things that happen in our workplace, but the day to day management at Brighton seems to have been very unprofessional for quite a while, and I include our newish CEO in that. Tony Bloom is unquestionably a pretty good guy, but the lunatics under him are running the asylum on a day to day basis.

If the story is that Paul Barber sat in his office and said "how can we get some dirt out ?" and came up with "hey, Vicente, before you b~gger off back to Valencia, go and have lunch with Naylor and tell him that Poyet's a tosser please", I'd look on this pretty dimly.

I would point out that the "most successful manager in British history" is leaving his job this weekend. He has been lauded as a virtual saint, but we all know that he is also a dreadful bully, and the phrase "hairdryer treatment" is something to be sniggered at nowadays. But he won things, time and time again. Clough was precisely the same. Ferguson banned journalists on a daily basis for writing quite innocuous things.

I don't think Andy Naylor will be breaking the Gus Poyet side of the story any time soon. But a good journalist would.

The club need to sort out this horrible shambles with some real management and dignity right away. I like others feel a growing embarrassment, and I'm getting angry that I have invested a lot supporting this club, and behind the scenes it was simply an ugly mess.

This. Great post. This whole thing is crying out for some decent investigative journalism. Not going to happen is it. There are 2 sides to this story.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I seriously doubt if the club could convince Vicente to make this up. I can believe all of it.

I believe he believes what he is saying in the same way he thought his former club werent treating him properly... that doesnt mean its the truth.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
How do you post a tweet? As the following goes against what @bozza is suggesting.

Brian Owen ‏@Brian__Owen 41m
Vicente spoke to The Argus in an interview arranged by us through his agent - obviously not through the club on this occasion! #bhafc.

daniel blackman ‏@danielblackman1 34m
@Brian__Owen seems a well planted story to suit #bhafc agenda .

Brian Owen ‏@Brian__Owen 21m
@danielblackman1 first they knew was when they bought the paper today.
Expand

Id trust Brian on this.... this to me seems Vicente trying to make capital out of the situation. What I AM interested about is someone on here suggesting Dave hated Gus...... I have seen absolutely no evidence of this.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I believe he believes what he is saying in the same way he thought his former club werent treating him properly... that doesnt mean its the truth.

So he imagined Poyet taking the piss in training?
I'm not saying he's not a bit of a sensitive complainer but these are accusations that either happened or didn't. Vicente is saying that happened, and I believe him. He's not complaining to make himself look better, he's saying it was unprofessional.

Oct 25, 2003
I'm not saying he's not a bit of a sensitive complainer but these are accusations that either happened or didn't. Vicente is saying that happened, and I believe him. He's not complaining to make himself look better, he's saying it was unprofessional.

and even if vicente is being over sensitive, it was gus' job to manage him in a way that fitted his personality

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Has someone got an image of the full interview? Only part of it is posted on The Argus website.

Yes, I've got an image of the whole interview. Would I get in trouble for sharing it?

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey

First of all... when he was taking the piss was he doing it in English or Spanish? If in English, I assume Vicentes lack of language might suggest possibilities for misunderstanding. If in Spanish, was it directed at Vicente or others. If at himself then I would want more specifics about exactly what was said seeing as Vicente has a record of blowing up over things... if it was to others then I would be interested in what the others had to say about it.

My point is that if this was a court of law and not a news story Poyets lawyer would have a filed day discrediting this witness.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
If what Vicente says is true, it would indeed explain our lack of finishing in front of goal. Managers should make players believe in themselves and make them feel they can take on the world, not mock and ridicule them in front of others. Footballers are a very small family of players on the whole run by half a dozen agents and people talk. May well explain why signing players in the past has always been complicated and why most of them have been shipped in from abroad.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
The explosive interview Andy Naylor promised in today's Argus is with Vicente. He describes Poyet as selfish and egocentric; the worst person he has come across in football.

He claims that Poyet had told him in the presence of Calderon last summer, as soon as the season ended, that Vicente would be able to return to Spain as his 4-year-old daughter was struggling at school and with the language barrier. Then the club (and Poyet) wouldn't let him go. He also claims that Poyet failed to speak to him for the four months that he was injured at the start of this season; he has been injury-free since January but Poyet chose not to play him. He says he had a better relationship with Charlie Oatway, but has as much contempt for Taricco as he does for Poyet.

He says that Poyet makes fun of the players in training (for instance if they miss a shot); things that he has never seen before in football.

However, he does still feel he has had two very good years, a unique and good experience that he doesn't regret. He has doubts about Poyet's credentials to manage in the Premier League, but hopes that Albion get to the Premier League as soon as possible.

No wonder our players are too scared of taking a shot!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Argus: Vicente describes Poyet as the worst person he has come across in foot...

No wonder our players are too scared of taking a shot!

Especially that shy, sensitive caring wallflower Craig Mackail-Smith. Perhaps a more encouraging manager will get the best out of him.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Same old triggaaar, missing the point entirely. There was no plan b, that's what many people are saying. Yet you still defend his one dimensional play, which worked to some extent. But when teams found ways to slow us down, deny us space. We're ****ed. Did you watch the game on Monday?
I'm not missing any points, or spouting nonsense about plans A and B, I'm simply looking at facts. We haven't had one of the highest paid squads, and we have had success on the pitch - those are facts.

To think that teams simply found out how to slow us down and beat us is so naive it's unbelievable - try looking at the table of results from Jan 1st until the end of the season (http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/league-championship/2012-2013/custom-table) - we're top! So you think everyone's worked out how to beat us, yet we were still the best side in the league in 2013 - madness. We were 10 games unbeaten (winning 5, drawing 5) up until Monday. None of that is opinion, that is all fact, so to suggest that teams simply worked us out is crazy.

Monday was an even game until Palace scored. Barnes's first shot was tipped onto the crossbar, his second cleared off the line - if either of those had gone in we'd be going to the final. But they didn't go in, Zaha lost his marker for once and scored, and Palace went through. That doesn't suddenly mean we were rubbish all along.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Reception is at 5 (five) Dave
Kids are 4 when they start reception. I don't know whether Vicente's daughter was in reception or pre-school when he was making the point about her not being happy though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here