Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Argus - Murray, Hoskins and Buckley ?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
I dont think we should go out and out tippy tappy. Arsenal have this problem (I know its Arsenal, in the PL) once they hit a brick wall, there is nothing they can do.

agreed. better sides are going to be able to deal with us better, wont sit back and let us play and will ultimately at the start of the season be looking for three points at the amex. we struggled to adapt when teams did this to us at the back end of last season against southampton and huddersfield, and it was only the appalling defences of carlisle and dagenham that meant we didn't f*** up those games as well

a plan b is a MUST, and if we are signing a different type of player to murray it sounds like it will be one who will fit into gus' style of play

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
agreed. better sides are going to be able to deal with us better, wont sit back and let us play and will ultimately at the start of the season be looking for three points at the amex. we struggled to adapt when teams did this to us at the back end of last season against southampton and huddersfield, and it was only the appalling defences of carlisle and dagenham that meant we didn't f*** up those games as well

a plan b is a MUST, and if we are signing a different type of player to murray it sounds like it will be one who will fit into gus' style of play

With pace up top if teams are pressing and it calls for a more direct game we will be fine, runners in to the channels with back up coming from Bennett et al.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I would not be at all surprised if Wood came back on long term loan - 10 goals at a very decent strike rate (as good as Murray and Barnes on a goals per game basis) and he would return a year older and still learning. Remember this was his first full season at league level so it's not surprising he ran out of steam a bit in the last 6 weeks.

Hope people have learned not to discount Barnes too - 20 goals - just 2 less than Murray with less game time and in his first full league season - he will become a million pound player if he continues to develop as he has so far.

Hoskins and Buckley would give us decent height but I don't see us being an "in the air" team next year unless we can unearth another Lambert = someone who can win and direct headers in the area (Muzza is very handy in the air in defence and in the middle third but scoring with his head was not his strength).

I see Watford fans rate Buckley's "potential" at £2.5m - not a bad return for a £150K (+add-ons) or so investment last year but if we want him I think we will get him for around the £650-750K mark, with a sell-on and extras for promotion etc. Add that to £500K for Hoskins and we are investing more in transfer fees than I really expected so the other 6 players we will need to bring in are all likely to be freebies, much as we all expected I guess.

Could all change of course if Norwich do come back for Benno and I just can't see Gus returning from Uruguay (family visit or not) empty-handed!

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I would not be at all surprised if Wood came back on long term loan - 10 goals at a very decent strike rate (as good as Murray and Barnes on a goals per game basis) and he would return a year older and still learning. Remember this was his first full season at league level so it's not surprising he ran out of steam a bit in the last 6 weeks.

Hope people have learned not to discount Barnes too - 20 goals - just 2 less than Murray with less game time and in his first full league season - he will become a million pound player if he continues to develop as he has so far.

Hoskins and Buckley would give us decent height but I don't see us being an "in the air" team next year unless we can unearth another Lambert = someone who can win and direct headers in the area (Muzza is very handy in the air in defence and in the middle third but scoring with his head was not his strength).

I see Watford fans rate Buckley's "potential" at £2.5m - not a bad return for a £150K (+add-ons) or so investment last year but if we want him I think we will get him for around the £650-750K mark, with a sell-on and extras for promotion etc. Add that to £500K for Hoskins and we are investing more in transfer fees than I really expected so the other 6 players we will need to bring in are all likely to be freebies, much as we all expected I guess.

Could all change of course if Norwich do come back for Benno and I just can't see Gus returning from Uruguay (family visit or not) empty-handed!

Hoskins isn't particularly tall.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
If Norwich want Bennett he will go and good luck to him - I too think Buckley is the man to play his role and at half the price less any add-ons due to Wolves, would represent good value. I'm pretty sure that the club would hope to sign the replacement before announcing that our star play maker is going so expect further movement quite quickly. Apparently Malky Mackay hasn't met his chairman to talk budgets yet (believe that?) but when he does and is told to cut costs further I would hope that the option to sell Buckley or sell Graham will make it a no-brainer in our favour.

I still think LuaLua will come one way or the other as the icing on the cake. If a loan then fine but I suspect TB will fund a budget overspend if he is available to buy.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Buckley sounds good, more likely to come to us than anyone else due to Stephenson connection?

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
Wood is useless for a target man. Never ever wins a header. His goal ratio is okay but take out the pens and it then looks pretty poor.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
According to the BBC article, we have made more than one approach for Buckley:

"It is also believed the Hornets have dismissed more than one offer from Brighton for winger Will Buckley."

It seems we are keen, and they also mention finanical difficulties at Watford. Very similar to the Noone transfer. They need the money just a case of getting to a point where both clubs are happy.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
y

Hasn't done Swansea much harm. Am looking forward to watching their tippy tappy "no plan b" football at Webley in a few days time.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
According to the BBC article, we have made more than one approach for Buckley:

"It is also believed the Hornets have dismissed more than one offer from Brighton for winger Will Buckley."

It seems we are keen, and they also mention finanical difficulties at Watford. Very similar to the Noone transfer. They need the money just a case of getting to a point where both clubs are happy.

This season's Greer. I think we are quite persistent when Gus really wants someone.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton

We need to be a bit more physical in the Championship. It'll be a lot tougher that's for sure. We'll need a couple of six footers to defend from corners!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Has it not occurred to anybody that Gus may be wishing to play football through the midfield and channels etc but may only possibly may be looking at an older experienced target man type striker as back up and as a plan b, to bring on if neded. Somebody like, and I am not suggesting it would be him, Dele Adebola. Off the top of my head I cant think of any premiership/ championship players getting too old but could do a job for a season before retiring, not Kevin Phillips.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
With pace up top if teams are pressing and it calls for a more direct game we will be fine, runners in to the channels with back up coming from Bennett et al.

I think we need a genuine box-to-box midfielder to help relieve pressure by holding the ball and pressing forward. Where we failed in games towards the end of the season was in trying to pass the ball forward under pressure and it coming straight back to us. Having someone with the strength and stamina to consistently hold the ball and move forward with it is a different option entirely. Crofty and even Hammond are the types of player that come to mind from our past and I'm sure Gus will have an eye on exactly that type of midfield player as an outlet rather than relying on punting it upfield to a target man. Add genuine pace out wide and down the channels and we will cope much more effectively with teams pressing us high up the pitch than we did this season.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
We need to be a bit more physical in the Championship. It'll be a lot tougher that's for sure. We'll need a couple of six footers to defend from corners!

I was wondering if Gus might go back in for Diego Arismendi? He's just gained a seasons experience in the championship on loan at Barnsley and he's a big lad.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Hasn't done Swansea much harm. Am looking forward to watching their tippy tappy "no plan b" football at Webley in a few days time.

im presuming that you have watched a lot of swansea this season then to know that they have always stuck with tippy tappy football, even when things have been against them in the last thirty minutes of games?

even so, i am looking forward to watching them play there football at wembley. and should things not be going there way, ill look forward to the introduction of the 6 foot craig beattie from the bench which will probably force them to change the way they play a little bit and allow them to be more direct should the need arise

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Wood is useless for a target man. Never ever wins a header. His goal ratio is okay but take out the pens and it then looks pretty poor.
Indeed, and struggles to control and keep the ball.
He's got some decent attributes but just because he's tall doesn't make him a target man.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here