Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Argus - Murray, Hoskins and Buckley ?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
One of the directors here is a Watford fan. Here's his take on Buckley:

" Maverick winger who goes on mazy dribbles, beating countless members of the opposition that go absolutely nowhere, before distributing the ball to a non existant team member in the stands. Has pace and is a trier and occasionally terrorises opposition but is too erratic and mercurial to be trusted to be in the starting lineup every week.

I like him because you never know what might happen - however it is the law of diminshing returns with him. Maybe one outstanding game in ten. Rarely lasts the 90 minutes either.

Hmmm. Think I'd prefer us to focus on landing KLL.
When KLL arrived first time around his end product wasn't up to much. Gus worked on that and we saw the rewards the following season. No reason why Buckley can improve like KLL under Poyet's training.

Sep 1, 2010
When KLL arrived first time around his end product wasn't up to much. Gus worked on that and we saw the rewards the following season. No reason why Buckley can improve like KLL under Poyet's training.

Really, Gus is taking the piss, Poet's training? stupid idea

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Buckley does rather sound our sort of player and it's interesting that Gus says we will replace Murray with a different type of player - so not a traditional target man.

With Hoskins, Buckley, Barnes, Noone and Benno (if he stays) we would have pace and trickery to burn. Add Wood as a more traditional battering ram? ........ going to be very interesting indeed

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Doubt that NUFC have made there minds up about KLL yet, Bennett off would seem more likely.

So you think it's more likely that we will sell Bennett, sign Buckley and hold out for KLL who is breaking into the NUFC first team? Bennett I can't see leaving now,the lad who we desperately held onto in January with the player himself now on record as saying he learnt a lot about himself throughout that period and wants to stay at the club . Suspect KLL will stay at NUFC and Buckley would be a good addition to the team.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
poyets quote

“We will sign someone but not a replacement. It will be somebody who is different.”

i read that as murrays style isnt the ideal style that fits in to the way gus wants us ultimately to play. having murray there was a stop gap on our way to playing ultimate tippy tappy. that may also fit in with the quote where gus said that glenn (bellend) would have limited opportunities next season. maybe he saw him then as a sub to bring on if we needed the ball to stick up front if we had a lead or something.

or am i clutching at straws?

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Buckley does rather sound our sort of player and it's interesting that Gus says we will replace Murray with a different type of player - so not a traditional target man.

With Hoskins, Buckley, Barnes, Noone and Benno (if he stays) we would have pace and trickery to burn. Add Wood as a more traditional battering ram? ........ going to be very interesting indeed

Would be certainly be one of the youngest front lines in the league.

I'd personally love it too. For the record, I'm quietly confident Bennett will stay.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

That was soundiing too good to be true....then you mentioned Wood

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
quite like the sound of this buckley chap

lord buckley...... any valuables to deposit lord buckley .... any ..... BRICKS

tve7172-00000001-118.gif

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
So you think it's more likely that we will sell Bennett, sign Buckley and hold out for KLL who is breaking into the NUFC first team?

Yes. He's not really "breaking into the first team", he's had one run out as a sub in a meaningless end-of-season game.

Bennett I can't see leaving now,the lad who we desperately held onto in January with the player himself now on record as saying he learnt a lot about himself throughout that period and wants to stay at the club ?

Do you think Bennett would turn down the opportunity to play in the EPL? I don't.

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
Although bennett's normal position is a winger, he has played amazingly well in the roaming role, behind two strikers. Perhaps Buckley is being brought in to fill the hole on the right so that bennett is free to move into the central role with Noone on the left?

Just my theory anyway.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
poyets quote

“We will sign someone but not a replacement. It will be somebody who is different.”

i read that as murrays style isnt the ideal style that fits in to the way gus wants us ultimately to play. having murray there was a stop gap on our way to playing ultimate tippy tappy. that may also fit in with the quote where gus said that glenn (bellend) would have limited opportunities next season. maybe he saw him then as a sub to bring on if we needed the ball to stick up front if we had a lead or something.

or am i clutching at straws?

not having a target man and playing ultimately tippy tappy sounds to me like we will have even less of a plan b than we did this season for when things aren't going our way

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
not having a target man and playing ultimately tippy tappy sounds to me like we will have even less of a plan b than we did this season for when things aren't going our way

I dont think we should go out and out tippy tappy. Arsenal have this problem (I know its Arsenal, in the PL) once they hit a brick wall, there is nothing they can do.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008

This is something I mentioned yesterday. When teams pressurize us we don't have a plan b. Anyway, I'm sure Gus knows what he's doing

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ

i agree , i think we need a target man too . think that will be on gus shopping list. i just think that this is how gus wants us to play.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Yes. He's not really "breaking into the first team", he's had one run out as a sub in a meaningless end-of-season game.

Do you think Bennett would turn down the opportunity to play in the EPL? I don't.

I guess we just disagree on this. The way I see it is one is signed for a premiership team, one is not. Of course Bennett would like to play top flight football but I just dont see them trading places so to speak!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here