[News] Area of Iceland being torn apart by volcanic activity

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Geology O-Level was my only science qualification at school, but I did find it fascinating learning about volcanoes/lava flows, plate-tectonics/earthquakes, glaciers, etc. It helped enormously that the teacher was great; really inspiring.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Geology O-Level was my only science qualification at school, but I did find it fascinating learning about volcanoes/lava flows, plate-tectonics/earthquakes, glaciers, etc. It helped enormously that the teacher was great; really inspiring.
Same.
I dived straight into geology as I just didn't get the urban side of geography.

Now, some 35 years later, I find them both equally fascinating, with urban geography probably shading it as that's the one we're really getting wrong.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Eruption happened at 10.17pm last night according to reports from the Icelandic Met Office after a swarm of minor tremors increased in magnitude from 9pm onwards. Main earthquake (4.2) on the Reykjanes seems to have occurred about 10.00pm, followed by another quake or large aftershock (4.1) at around 11.30m - aftershocks have eased off this morning

IMG_0835.jpeg

Last edited:

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Same.
I dived straight into geology as I just didn't get the urban side of geography.

Now, some 35 years later, I find them both equally fascinating, with urban geography probably shading it as that's the one we're really getting wrong.
Something... Something... Something... Cycle lanes?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
This is a great time-lapse of the first 20 or so minutes of the eruption, and shows how the fissure extends to the south pretty rapidly.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It's off again this morning. Similar spot to last time, just to the North of Grindavik

I'm currently watching a live stream of the lava flowing over one the local roads.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
He has retreated. Just in the nick of time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports