Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Area of Iceland being torn apart by volcanic activity

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house

Reykjanes Peninsula home of the Fagradalsfjall volcano is having hundreds of minor earth quakes with roads & houses being ripped apart. Icelandic scientists are predicting a major eruption any time. We are so lucky not to have to worry about such things.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

We are so lucky not to have to worry about such things.
You say that, but if we do not know how bad this eruption could be and how dark the sky will become, it was not long ago flights were cancelled. A bad eruption could have a catastrophic affect on the world.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I don’t think Iceland is being ‘torn apart’ by earthquakes in any area yet so a little hyperbole in the thread title (but I clicked it so it worked 🙂) - so far the capital has not been effected - all these bar one larger quake are a swarm of mini-quakes, only 3 are over 3 mag, the largest being 3.8 on Monday afaics. They are almost certainly an indication of a potential major volcanic eruption (unlike hopefully the Fagradalsfjall volcano on the Reykjanes peninsula which erupted in 2021 and 2022 again or devastating Eyjafjallajökull eruption in 2010 though) but very worrying from the point of view of local air travel, tourism and farming in the area requiring large areas of evacuation of both livestock and villages.

On average, Iceland has around 500 earthquakes a week, or about 26000 every year. The country is in effect bisected by a 2 major tectonic plates - the North American and Eurasian so there’s continuous movement.

Thinking about it, it must be a bit like sitting in top of a tumble drier at the moment!

Attachments

• IMG_0777.jpeg
    IMG_0777.jpeg
    34.5 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
You say that, but if we do not know how bad this eruption could be and how dark the sky will become, it was not long ago flights were cancelled. A bad eruption could have a catastrophic affect on the world.

This eruption if / when it occurs will be a fissure or spatter cone eruption with quite fluid lava, not too much gas and not too much explosivity, which would mean less threat to flights etc.

When the Eyjafjallajökull volcano erupted in 2010 it was a Stratovolcano type, with are relatively explosive and tend to throw a lot of dust / ash high into the atmosphere.

The only risk with the volcanoes on the Reykjanes peninsula is if the eruption occurs on the coast or in the sea, as they water content will make it more explosive and generate more ash.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
A mate of mine came back from there on Monday having spent 4 days there. I asked him about it and he said the locals are not fussed about it, they always have earth tremors. 🤷‍♂️

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
This eruption if / when it occurs will be a fissure or spatter cone eruption with quite fluid lava, not too much gas and not too much explosivity, which would mean less threat to flights etc.

When the Eyjafjallajökull volcano erupted in 2010 it was a Stratovolcano type, with are relatively explosive and tend to throw a lot of dust / ash high into the atmosphere.

The only risk with the volcanoes on the Reykjanes peninsula is if the eruption occurs on the coast or in the sea, as they water content will make it more explosive and generate more ash.
Could it potentially trigger other seismic activity on the numerus other volcanos or fault lines in the area ?

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Some good background so far

“As always, volcanic activity is difficult to predict. As the last eruptions on the Reykjanes peninsula have shown, Iceland has some of the best-monitored volcanoes in the world, but despite this, when, where, and if an eruption will occur can be difficult to say with precision, even for experts. With that warning out of the way, here’s what we know so far about the latest phase of seismic activity on the Reykjanes peninsula.”

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
sticking £50 now on our marquee club-record january signing falling through due a volcanic eruption stopping flights, only for them to sign elsewhere and go on to win several ballon d’ors

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Indeed you are correct. There's a rather large Magma plume under Yosemite Park which has, historicly, blown on a regular basis...if we get a bad one next time it's the Dark Ages again for us.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Some excellent expert volcanologists on the case here

It’s currently unclear how large a potential eruption might be, though the characteristics of the intense earthquake swarm that has been affecting the area suggest that the total volume of magma is much larger than in 2021 or 2022. This does raise the concern of more widespread impacts, such as occurred in 2010 as a result of the Eyjafjallajökull eruption. During that, enormous volumes of fine ash were ejected into the atmosphere …. but this is very unlikely “

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
If it's going to blow, and stop all flights for a week, please wait until 15:00 30th November.
Except I'll probably get a ban for not attending Chelsea.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
If it's going to blow, and stop all flights for a week, please wait until 15:00 30th November.
Except I'll probably get a ban for not attending Chelsea.
Mrs V is currently in Lanzarote with her family on hols...coming back late Thursday this week. I need the explosion tonight.
I can't believe the money I am saving in Bog Roll, Avocados and Goats Cheese plus I have managed to keep half a bottle of white wine in the fridge for 4 days !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here