Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are you stoned enough to vote Tory?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I'd certainly need to be on the bong to think Ed Miliband can win for Labour.

I honestly think that Labour strategists had banked on a much longer recessionary cycle and that they didn't want to form a government whilst the economy was still in the shitter...oops, economy improves and no time for a better candidate at such short notice to step in.

They are clearly writing this election off with that adenoidal specimen at the helm. Tories at a canter, labour distant second, liberals tied with UKIP and the Greens in third.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Sure does dude. What the tories want, is to **** us all over, and line their pockets. Labour on the other hand - salt of the earth. They'd sell their own home to make our lives better.

I'm a floating voter, and switch between red and blue with the wind. I don't like either party. But I have always disliked how it's supposed to be cool to be left wing, as if voting anything else makes you a bad person. I typically want what's best for our economy, because if that's doing well, there's money for health and education etc.

At last a thread that totally replcates my politics.
But being left wing may be seen as cool, many vote tory just because they dont want to be seen as working class and a little bit grubby.
I have to admit, floating voter or not, I will find it difficult to vote Tory next time. There antics have been nothing short of disgusting, even if the economy is getting stronger. The news today on starving people, food banks etc is crazy and the constant lies and covering the truth.
I dont think my conscience will let me.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
But being left wing may be seen as cool, many vote tory just because they dont want to be seen as working class and a little bit grubby.
I have to admit, floating voter or not, I will find it difficult to vote Tory next time. There antics have been nothing short of disgusting, even if the economy is getting stronger. The news today on starving people, food banks etc is crazy and the constant lies and covering the truth.
I dont think my conscience will let me.

Bit harsh.
I don't believe real poverty is any worse than in recent past times,regardless of what party was in power.Food banks have to some extent replaced 'emergency payments'.
Of course,,if Labour had continued in power in 2010,none of this would have happened.Silly me.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Bit harsh.
I don't believe real poverty is any worse than in recent past times,regardless of what party was in power.Food banks have to some extent replaced 'emergency payments'.
Of course,,if Labour had continued in power in 2010,none of this would have happened.Silly me.

But I am a floating voter thats the point I know what labour get up to but I am only really interested in how the tory led coalition have performed this time round and do they deserve another go.
Of course I may not vote for either or none at all, but one thing is for sure I will not vote for a party because my parents did or because a newspaper has fed me propaganda or I have a blind allegiance to only one party.
personally I think the whole lot are an utter mess at the moment but I hate some of the callous decisions they have made to the most vulnerable in the name of cutting costs and covering the truth about cuts to the NHS, Police etc.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Is it normal for people standing for the council to not mention what party they are a member of anywhere on their campaign paraphernalia? Because my local student Tory candidate seems to have 'forgotten' to include the information.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I'm sure I don't keep track of the details as well as a lot of people on here. Do the tories really cut taxes that much?
Unfortunately, mammoth organisations like the NHS are hugely inefficient, whatever party is handling it.
:lol:

They cut income tax considerably under Thatcher. since they've been back in power they haven't. but it hasn't stopped them lining their mates pockets. Incidentally under Thatcher they increased VAT considerably when they came in. Easy way to make money quickly taxing everyday goods while cutting the tax rate for the rich.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
They cut income tax considerably under Thatcher.
Well tax rates were mental in the 70s.

it hasn't stopped them lining their mates pockets.
Don't all parties do that though? Look at Blair for god sake.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Well tax rates were mental in the 70s.

Don't all parties do that though? Look at Blair for god sake.

Tax rates weren't mental in the 70s. They wre just pissing the money up the wall. The right answer is to have a Government that actually gives a shit about the poor with enough money and knowledge to make it happen. Now that s obviously unlikely, but for me, it is the right answer. When Thatcher got in she doubled VAT, the easiest way to bring money in to to the Treasury while ignoring the effect it would have on poor people. Because they didn't care about them. That's why the subsequent riots happened. No understanding or respect for working people. And thirty years on that hasn't changed.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Does bashing the conservatives still make you cool & edgy?

If the tories are in power then yes to a degree. If the tories are in opposition it is a bit creepy at least . As it was for "alternative" comedians in the late 90s who began to look a bit awkward as Government lackies and it also has an authoritarian edge to it.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
But being left wing may be seen as cool,

This is a dangerous delusion. Most people, i would say 80% see the left and right as being a bit dodgy, if you treat half of that as rightwing your close to 90% of people holding a range of negative views

Self delusion and miss placed narcassism is standard for the political left. It is my view a room full of people with room temperature IQs would be the first to vote that they are all geniuses and in a similar vien, the most dogmatic, collectivist, hive minded news paper can advertise itself as being for free thinkers without a hint of irony.

The modern left is little more than an immature vanity project stuffed full of egomaniacs with zero introspection.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
To be fair looney I did not say that I was quoting an earlier thread and then adding to it.
To be honest I dont see the left as cool at all.
Read through the earlier threads and you will see.
Anyway far to nervous for a political discussion.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Tax rates weren't mental in the 70s. They wre just pissing the money up the wall.
The basic rate hit 35%, and for incomes over £20k it was 83% (and a 98% band for investment income). That's mental in my book.

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
The Tory policies in this government indicate that they felt they could do anything they liked and still get voted back in, given the mess the previous government left. But they have clearly gone to far by constantly attacking the poorest in society whilst at the same time allowing the rich/large corporations to benefit (preference on Royal Mail shares, blind eye to Tax avoidance/evasion, tax cuts etc)

I believe they saw an opportunity to dismantle the welfare state and NHS which ultimately could both could well prove to be not sustainable but misjudged it on a massive scale.

If only there was a credible opposition....

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If Labour get in,according to one paper,they will force you to get fit ? Don't know how...

Minimum pricing on alcohol , higher tax duty on tobacco and e-cigs , restrictions on selling sweets and chocolates to under 18s , parking enforcement officers issuing penalty tickets to parents/guardians parking within 300 metres of a school so the kids at least get a bit of exercise , benefit claimants required to do 16 hours a week manual labour to keep their giro.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Minimum pricing on alcohol , higher tax duty on tobacco and e-cigs , restrictions on selling sweets and chocolates to under 18s , parking enforcement officers issuing penalty tickets to parents/guardians parking within 300 metres of a school so the kids at least get a bit of exercise , benefit claimants required to do 16 hours a week manual labour to keep their giro.

if this was a Radio 4 panel game I would say that was the ludicrous, totally unfeasible joke labour policy, that you were trying to sneak in as fact.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here