Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Are you one of the 4%...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
anyone getting confused or upset, i've found the answer and it still doesnt really make much sense. the psychologocial reasoning behind the "answer" i get, but not why one of the cards cant prove/disprove the question in the same way.

SUA Seagull

Jul 23, 2016
Stratford-upon-Avon
No one said there'd be a number on the other side. There could be a drawing of a cock, or there could be a vowel. If it's the latter, the rule is broken, so we have to know what it is. Is it a cock, or is it a vowel.

Surely the rule is broken without the need to turn the K card over, regardless of what's on the other side of the K, because the K is a consonant which automatically fails the rule? Whatever's on the back of the K is thus irrelevant, be it number or knob! (...I assumed it would be a number...).

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
No, the rule is that a vowel must have an even number on the other side. That does not mean that an even number must have a vowel on the other side.

That would explain why I am in a dead end job.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
It's every card ffs, you need to turn every card to check if there's a vowel or even number there!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Surely the rule is broken without the need to turn the K card over, regardless of what's on the other side of the K, because the K is a consonant which automatically fails the rule? Whatever's on the back of the K is thus irrelevant, be it number or knob! (...I assumed it would be a number...).

NO, because if it has a vowel on the other side, it disproves the rule, if it doesn't, then it doesn't.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
This has been bugging me and my family all day! After taking another look at the exact wording this evening "If a card has a vowel on one side, it must have an even number on the other side" then in order to prove that rule I think the following logic applies.

A - needs to be turned over to check if there's an even number on the back. If yes, the rule is proved. If no, the rule is disproved.
K - no need to turn that over because it's a consonant, so the number on the obverse is irrelevant.
2 - no need to turn that over because it doesn't matter if it's a consonant or a vowel on the obverse because the rule says "if there's a vowel on one side there has to be an even number on the other side". The rule does not say that the same applies vice versa, i.e. if there's an even number on one side there has to be a vowel on the back. So turning over that card would not prove or deny the rule. So no need to turn it over.
7 - needs to be turned over to prove that there's not a vowel on the back, which - if there was - would disprove the rule.

So I (now) think it's A and 7. Earlier I thought A and 2 because I made the careless mistake of reading the vowel/number rule as applying vice versa too, which it doesn't actually state.

You make the same mistake with K, as you rightly said the question only says a vowel must have an even number, it doesnt say an even number must have a vowel and all youre reasoning for A,2,7 is good, however with K, it doesnt say to assume a consonant must have a number on the other side, its doesnt stipulate anything about what could be on the other side of k except ONLY a vowel must have an even number. Therefore the K might have a number on the other side, the queen of hearts, a top trump of Alan Pardew from 1989 or even a vowel, it must be checked as it may have a vowel on the other side which would then make it break the rule as it then wouldnt be a vowel with an even number, it would be a vowel with a consonant. From the exact wording of the question without any additional assumptions the answer is A,K,7

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
You make the same mistake with K, as you rightly said the question only says a vowel must have an even number, it doesnt say an even number must have a vowel and all youre reasoning for A,2,7 is good, however with K, it doesnt say to assume a consonant must have a number on the other side, its doesnt stipulate anything about what could be on the other side of k except ONLY a vowel must have an even number. Therefore the K might have a number on the other side, the queen of hearts, a top trump of Alan Pardew from 1989 or even a vowel, it must be checked as it may have a vowel on the other side which would then make it break the rule as it then wouldnt be a vowel with an even number, it would be a vowel with a consonant. From the exact wording of the question without any additional assumptions the answer is A,K,7

Bloody hell, that's impressive intuition. Here it is:

a55d6031629444efb58a7aea2f1cf05f.jpg

:sick:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
NO, because if it has a vowel on the other side, it disproves the rule, if it doesn't, then it doesn't.

very interesting point, because SUA Seagull's point is entirely valid, but you've spotted a flaw in the setup. we are expected to assume all cards have a number on one side and letter on the other, but this isnt stated.

btw the purpose of the test is not to be right, its about the reasoning you use.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Surely the rule is broken without the need to turn the K card over, regardless of what's on the other side of the K, because the K is a consonant which automatically fails the rule?
Who said anything about consonants breaking rules? The card could have a cock on one side and a Chinese poem on the other side. If a card hasn't got a vowel on it, then the rule cannot be broken.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
anyone getting confused or upset, i've found the answer and it still doesnt really make much sense. the psychologocial reasoning behind the "answer" i get, but not why one of the cards cant prove/disprove the question in the same way.
Assuming the answer says AK7, the difference with the 2 is that if there is a vowel on the other side, then the rule has been followed (because 2 is an even number), and if there is not a vowel on the other side then the rule has been followed, because if there's no vowel on a card then it's fine. Even numbers do not need a vowel on the other side.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
very interesting point, because SUA Seagull's point is entirely valid, but you've spotted a flaw in the setup. we are expected to assume all cards have a number on one side and letter on the other, but this isnt stated.
It isn't stated so you can't assume it. If you assume it, you're wrong.

btw the purpose of the test is not to be right, its about the reasoning you use.
Whoever said that must have got it wrong.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We've had almost 100 replies to this thread now. Does this mean there must be four people who have given the right answer?

Of course not.
It seems like the 4% is the number of people that get it right when the question is a little different - when you're told there is a letter on one side and a number on the other. Not sure if it's still 4% for the quiz we were given, which didn't state that.

SUA Seagull

Jul 23, 2016
Stratford-upon-Avon
It seems like the 4% is the number of people that get it right when the question is a little different - when you're told there is a letter on one side and a number on the other. Not sure if it's still 4% for the quiz we were given, which didn't state that.

That's true. The original Peter Wason test did indeed divulge that the cards had letters on one side and numbers on the other (which I had assumed, even though it was unstated).

SPOILER ALERT: I have just found the puzzle on Google and it has the answer in it. For those who don't want to know, look away now! The first 3 mins of the You-tube clip are relevant to the AK27 puzzle (and employ the above assumption).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7NE7apn-PA

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Doesn't matter what's on the other side of the 2.
A is sulking next to the rule and K and 7 may be subject to the rule.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That's true. The original Peter Wason test did indeed divulge that the cards had letters on one side and numbers on the other (which I had assumed, even though it was unstated).
Yes, the answer to his is A7, the answer to the one Bozza posted is AK7.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here