Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Are you one of the 4%...

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
A & 2 & 7
A and 2 ,to check if other sides are even and a vowel, K isnt a vowel so no need to check . 7 isnt an even number , but need to check to make sure other side ISNT a vowel ,
Yeah but how do you know that 'k' doesn't have an even number on the reverse without checking?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I said it at school and I'll say it again now, f*** algebra.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
If you did that without help, welcome to the 4% club.
3bc8f31d36d8da599901519645bbdfcd.jpg
I guess you need to leave the club..

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
3bc8f31d36d8da599901519645bbdfcd.jpg
I guess you need to leave the club..

The question was different. In the Johnson-Laird & Wason question (according to Google) you were told each card had a number on one side and a letter on the other side, hence no need to check the k. We weren't told that hence you have to check k.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Card three, the one with 2 on it, it must have a vowel on the obverse side or the rule is false.

No, the rule is that a vowel must have an even number on the other side. That does not mean that an even number must have a vowel on the other side.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
One side, the cards show AK27. On the back, it has to be a vowel, an even number or neither. With 3 outcomes, only one of which fits the rule:

A has to be turned in case the back is not an even number
K has to be turned in case the back IS a vowel
2 has to be turned in case the back is NOT a vowel
7 has to be turned in case the back is a vowel.

All of them shirly?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Ah, no, the 2 doesn't matter :ffsparr:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I've had friends fall out over this tonight

SUA Seagull

Jul 23, 2016
Stratford-upon-Avon
This has been bugging me and my family all day! After taking another look at the exact wording this evening "If a card has a vowel on one side, it must have an even number on the other side" then in order to prove that rule I think the following logic applies.

A - needs to be turned over to check if there's an even number on the back. If yes, the rule is proved. If no, the rule is disproved.
K - no need to turn that over because it's a consonant, so the number on the obverse is irrelevant.
2 - no need to turn that over because it doesn't matter if it's a consonant or a vowel on the obverse because the rule says "if there's a vowel on one side there has to be an even number on the other side". The rule does not say that the same applies vice versa, i.e. if there's an even number on one side there has to be a vowel on the back. So turning over that card would not prove or deny the rule. So no need to turn it over.
7 - needs to be turned over to prove that there's not a vowel on the back, which - if there was - would disprove the rule.

So I (now) think it's A and 7. Earlier I thought A and 2 because I made the careless mistake of reading the vowel/number rule as applying vice versa too, which it doesn't actually state.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
K - no need to turn that over because it's a consonant, so the number on the obverse is irrelevant.
No one said there'd be a number on the other side. There could be a drawing of a cock, or there could be a vowel. If it's the latter, the rule is broken, so we have to know what it is. Is it a cock, or is it a vowel.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here