Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are you offended by the gay taunts from opposing fans

Are you bothered by the gay taunts

• Total voters

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
It is because they seem to suggest being homosexual is a bad thing which is wrong.

They can suggest all they like, it doesn't make them right. As others have said here earlier, if you continually go down that road, where do you stop? It would be a very bland experience if there were no taunting, goading etc. (within reason - again, a very subjective thing) during a football match, as it is after all a kind of partisan/tribal event.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Without reading the whole thread it's "other". I'm most offended by the stupidity and total lack of originality of the chants. I don't take offence in being called gay though. Given my hairstyle, belly girth and taste in lampshades it's quite a compliment.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Just seen this on SE Today....... I've got to be honest, we didn't come out of that report well at all. Came across as "Miss, Miss, they called us bad names, please tell them off otherwise I'll thqueam and thqueam until i'm thick".

Without coming across all "casual" - if we "stamp" out the "homophobic" chanting, we can kiss goodbye to the "Sheep shagger", the "Dirty northern *******s" and even (gulp) "You burnt down your town" chants. It is what it is, and it's part of who we are in the world of football. You stop the "we can see you holding hands" and the like, and where will it end??

Jan 30, 2008
Just seen this on SE Today....... I've got to be honest, we didn't come out of that report well at all. Came across as "Miss, Miss, they called us bad names, please tell them off otherwise I'll thqueam and thqueam until i'm thick".

Without coming across all "casual" - if we "stamp" out the "homophobic" chanting, we can kiss goodbye to the "Sheep shagger", the "Dirty northern *******s" and even (gulp) "You burnt down your town" chants. It is what it is, and it's part of who we are in the world of football. You stop the "we can see you holding hands" and the like, and where will it end??
WE'VE GOT SOME LIGHT WEIGHTS FOLLOWING THIS CLUB :(
regards
DR

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
I've never understood it. Why would I be offended by someone implying that I'm/calling me gay? I'm not. Would I be offended if they were chanting about me being straight? Nope. I don't get it. I really don't.

Same as I've never understood racism. If someone called me a white <insert offensive word here> then yes, I'm white, congratulations,and for all you know I may well just be a <insert offensive word here>. Why does it matter what colour you are to be called names!? What about fat people and ugly people, blonde girls, ginger people etc etc. I have a MASSIVE nose which I'm pretty happy with, and got called a Jew all the way through school.. What does that matter? Who is it offending? Jewish people? People just whinging about whinging.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Well maybe if you was black or Asian and the insults were directed at your skin or origin then is that allowed? Of cause not so why should homophobic songs be tolerated Or is it because you are gay then that's fair game? If fans can be homophobic then I'll start singing racist songs because at the end of the day you can't have grey ares, either ban them all or sing what you like.

Your opinion is about as informed as your use of grammar.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
What's worse than homophobia? Acceptance of homophobia. Next time I hear of someone being discriminated against in say, the workplace because of their sexuality I'll be sure to tell them to man up, grow a pair, it's only banter....

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'll probably make a dogs breakfast of this post/explanation, but here goes..... If a crowd or person is black, and abuse is targeted at them, then it is bad, and should be stamped out. The gay chants are normally (not always) fairly lighthearted, and are directed by the opposing fans at all of us. They and i have not a clue, who amongst the 25,000 crowd, who is and is not gay. No signs on the clothing to indicate, no skin colour etc.
I agree that if the gay chants are really offensive, and not outside the ground in front of children tbh.
Perhaps because i am not gay, my opinion differs from others, but i do relish and enjoy taunting the opposing fans with "Your to ugly to be gay".....whether the people around me are gay, or they think i am.....then who knows eh.
To actually think that opposing supporters think all of the Brighton supporters are gay, makes me laugh......but then again i think all Leeds fans have flat caps, work for Hovis and have ferrets down their keks.

Exactly. One of the laziest arguments is that "it's the same as racism was in the 1970s." No it isn't. The racist chants were aimed at specific individuals because of the color of their skin. If there was an openly gay player being subjected to chants about his homosexuality THEN it would be the same and I'd be 100% in favour of stamping it out. But it isn't, it's not even close. That report on South Today made me embarrassed to be a Brighton fan. The one point no one has explained is exactly how is the chanting homophobic as opposed to just crude and unpleasant?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Exactly. One of the laziest arguments is that "it's the same as racism was in the 1970s." No it isn't. The racist chants were aimed at specific individuals because of the color of their skin. If there was an openly gay player being subjected to chants about his homosexuality THEN it would be the same and I'd be 100% in favour of stamping it out. But it isn't, it's not even close. That report on South Today made me embarrassed to be a Brighton fan. The one point no one has explained is exactly how is the chanting homophobic as opposed to just crude and unpleasant?

A sincere question. Why do you give a crap what other fans think?

Why would you be embarrassed to be associated with something positive?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
A sincere question. Why do you give a crap what other fans think?

Why would you be embarrassed to be associated with something positive?
Morning Tyrone! (Well, morning for me)

I give a crap when it reflects badly, IMO, on our club.

And as I said yesterday I don't see it as positive.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Well I've had "I'm gonna smash your head in you poofs" in Sheffield and "**** off out of our town you gaylords in Watford. Are these included in your gay chants?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The singing of anti gay chants IMO is not aimed specifically at any gay Brighton fans.
It is aimed at the crowd in general, to try to wind them up that they are all gay.
Just a chant, one of many, insulting each other, and Brighton fans do this too.

Away from the ground, it does not endanger gays, and the general trend over the last 40 years is far more acceptance by the public at large.

Just another song, and in no way in the same category of a racist chant aimed at a black person.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Morning Tyrone! (Well, morning for me)

I give a crap when it reflects badly, IMO, on our club.

And as I said yesterday I don't see it as positive.

I think it makes Brighton look pretty darn good.

If these sorts of chants went up at other sporting events around the world the sport in question and its fans would round on on those doing it with a fast and speedy course of action.

It makes football crowds seem puerile and idiotic compared to other sports.

After all, who does it make Brighton look bad in the eyes of? The very same morons who start such chants?

Wouldn't give two runny squirts out of the back passage what those twats think.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
What's worse than homophobia? Acceptance of homophobia. Next time I hear of someone being discriminated against in say, the workplace because of their sexuality I'll be sure to tell them to man up, grow a pair, it's only banter....

That is where, for me, the line is all these "hate crimes" starts. NO individual should be subjected to abuse or disadvantaged for ANY reason. Where are the laws banning abuse of people with ginger hair? Or fat people?

As I posted earlier, there are far worse things happen at football such as grown men frothing at the mouth in front of their children. The dislike of Brighton fans in general because we are all perceived to be "queers" is frankly simply insulting and worthy of a smack in the face, rather than going to complain to anyone.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I think it makes Brighton look pretty darn good.

If these sorts of chants went up at other sporting events around the world the sport in question and its fans would round on on those doing it with a fast and speedy course of action.

It makes football crowds seem puerile and idiotic compared to other sports.

After all, who does it make Brighton look bad in the eyes of? The very same morons who start such chants?

Wouldn't give two runny squirts out of the back passage what those twats think.

So you really think the good people of Oz would start a fight to defend people who are perceived to be "gay", at a rugby match for example? Wow!

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
So you really think the good people of Oz would start a fight to defend people who are perceived to be "gay", at a rugby match for example? Wow!

I think it's not in our culture to chant at sports in so far as to hurl racist or homophobic abuse out side of a singular boof head doing it. Certainly not hundreds of people doing it at once.

The only sport that seems to require fans to be segregated is soccer out here. Fans sit in among each other with almost all other sports.

And I don't think people would start a fight, however the people in charge of those sports organisations wouldn't put up with such childish crap.

There was a recent case out here where a football player called another played an effing homo or something like that and the league came down hard on the issue after an umpire reported it. He was fined $3000 and made to undergo an education program.

I simply think 30-40 year old men chanting such drivel would have to be one of the most pathetic sights one could see.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here