Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Are you a so called working class Conservative ?

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
The purchase price is what you pay. At present, on second homes, the CGT allowance is £12k per annum. On a primary residence this would need to be higher, say 6% of the purchase price p/a. This would mean that the CGT allowance on a £300k house would be £18k pa. After 5 years you will have accumulated £90k in CGT allowances. If you sell for £390k or less there would be no CGT to pay. Obviously it would become complicated because the valuation of any recognised improvements would need to be factored in and omitted from the selling price before assessing for CGT.

But the CGT allowance doesn’t just apply to property. And you can also crystallise losses against it. I think you’re over simplifying a bit....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It is and you have done - Housing costs in your area have outstripped inflation by 50% over 11 years, whichever way you look at, that's staggering. If you're a 'have not' than owning your own home has become significantly more expensive, if you're a 'have' and see your home as a financial asset then outstripping inflation by 50% for extremely low risk is one heck of a return.

House prices in Brighton, Hove and Lewes are at least 6x their value in say 1994, definitely in the posher parts, possibly everywhere. Other locations in Sussex may be the same.

The overriding answer I see is simply to build millions decent more homes in England, in places where people want to live. To deal with the supply side. With a large proportion of these being Affordable, including on shared ownership schemes. Despite the sneering from people looking for a perfect world, Affordable really does make a huge difference to household costs. In my part of Brighton, teachers, nurses and other non highly paid people/families have settled into new Affordable homes built by private developers, managed by social landlords. With long waiting lists of others wanting the same.

Shirley housing is the priority for any UK government?

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
tradition definition is around manual work, for wages (vs salary), in factories or other industrial work. some will make a point about those that do not own the means of production. its full of contradiction and counter-examples these days, we cant really define it, replaced with more granular socio-economic classes. many chose to define themselves as working class when they have all the trappings of middle class life style.

Interesting.

Would you it’s harder to move up a class higher than say your parents rather than be born above working class but still need to perform at that perceived level yourself without family assistance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’d love to know what your working class traditions are?

I enjoy numerous proletariat activities such as going to the pub, going to the football and eating liver.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
You seem to have missed what he said, that the Tories have passed a law (singular and specific) which prohibits anything they do (now or in the future) from being ruled unlawful.
When you consider laws can be challenged through the courts.( for example the Uk Court of Appeal and European courts can rule a UK law is not compatible with EU made law) I simply wanted to know which specific law has been passed which has taken away the right of any law to be challenged and ruled unlawful.
Don’t expect to find out what law he was referring to as he has decided not to post on this thread anymore.

I think his point was you won't be able to Challenge in European Courts soon - And in the UK Courts you don't appeal against the Law. You appeal against the ''Interpretation of a law'' in civil cases - In criminal cases appeals are usually based on a Jury or a judges interpretation of facts / evidence that were presented in court having been interpreted to the letter of the law although I don't have much experience of criminal law . You cant really appeal against a particular Law in itself.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I am neither working class, nor conservative.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
There is nothing wrong with that at all. Most sensible people I know are, especially over 30 when you have more idea of economics & what sounds sensible and fair .

Being aspirational and wanting to do the best for yourself and your family is what being Conservative is all about. Need to make sure tempered with enough support for the NHS & the less fortunate or able but the early signs from this conservative govt are quite good in that regard.
Interesting, what are the early signs you refer to?

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I think his point was you won't be able to Challenge in European Courts soon - And in the UK Courts you don't appeal against the Law. You appeal against the ''Interpretation of a law'' in civil cases - In criminal cases appeals are usually based on a Jury or a judges interpretation of facts / evidence that were presented in court having been interpreted to the letter of the law although I don't have much experience of criminal law . You cant really appeal against a particular Law in itself.

im still unsure what his point was as he didnt clarify it. He certainly said anything the tories "do" couldnt be ruled unlawful, which is expanding quite a lot further on from Law (suspension of parliament for example)

Last edited:

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
Even the world's most famous working class Tory was getting a bit sceptical. But a good take on user pays.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Hmmm. Tricky question. Do I think the man who spent his Christmas volunteering at a homeless shelter is less removed from the reality of day to day life than the man who flew off for some R&R in the Caribbean?

It’s a real head scratcher, that.

To be fair, Boris was sleeping on his mate’s couch.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
As an incurable cancer patient I have had brilliant treatment but my life expectancy would be increased by access to maintenance drugs that are viewed as too expensive. This is not because of too many Romanians using the service, who the fxxk do people think has been providing the care, but because of funding decisions made by UK governments. A lot of people in my position make a huge fuss about putting a price on human life. I would always have been prepared to pay more for a health service without expecting to need it as I have. Many making this fuss will have happily voted for the Tories and looked to evade tax in the past. At least I don’t have to live with that hypocrisy.

I am very sorry to hear about your situation and I am pleased you are happy with the treatment you have received. I totally agree with you about the NHS , it is very important we have a strong NHS with the best range of drugs and treatments possible and everyone should contribute with more taxes going to that specific ringfenced NHS commitment. NHS, mental health, crime & affordable housing and social services are all vastly important sectors to fully support and improve .

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
They’ll pay heavily in 5 years time if they don’t deliver.

Ha! yeah good one..

The electorate don't give a shit about spending promises or infrastructure.
Proven that time after time.

Just swallow the lies and keep believing the mantra " It would be worse under Labour"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here