Are you a MIFFY or a MILLY?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When making tea do you put milk in first or last?

• MIFFY - Milk In First

Votes: 16 31.4%
  • MILLY - Milk In Last

Votes: 35 68.6%

• Total voters

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Depends on wheter I'm in a hurry (in last, dump sugar from Suicra hand-grip-moulded containery thingy designed for use on cereal) or not (in first, with the sugar). Either way, its got to have enough sugar to stand my spoon up in it.

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
Well, if you're making a pot, then OBVIOUSLY the milk has to go into the cup first.

If you're just brewing a cup with a tea bag then NO WAY should the milk go in before the hot water, because the water wouldn't be boiling (having been cooled down by the presence of cold milk) and the tea wouldn't brew properly.

It's really that simple.

Except how do I vote?

*shouts*
Lush are we making a pot or a cup here? And can I have mine quite strong please? No sugar. Thanks!

Spicy2

Aug 12, 2004
London
MILLY:wave:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
If you put the milk in first you are drinking a solution (Homogeneous mixture of two or more substances).

If you put the milk in second you are drinking a colloid (A heterogeneous mixture in which solute-like particles do not settle out)

So for the milk and tea to blend, it has to be a solution. ie milk in first.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Milk in FIRST, it's the only way and ALWAYS made in a pot.

It is the truth. Milk in first every time. And a pot is essential. Most of what GO wrote is correct, other than the strength of tea.

Coffee is completely different. Milk goes into coffee last.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
If you like weakish tea, try this. You'll love it.

1. Put milk in cup
2. Add teabag
3. Add boiling water and stir till the right colour develops
4. Remove bag

Advantages

1. Gets the strength exactly right
2. The chemistry of brewing is different in milk, and it's much smoother and nicer.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yorkie said:
If you put the milk in first you are drinking a solution (Homogeneous mixture of two or more substances).

If you put the milk in second you are drinking a colloid (A heterogeneous mixture in which solute-like particles do not settle out)

So for the milk and tea to blend, it has to be a solution. ie milk in first.
You see? You see? Not only is putting the milk in first the politically correct way to do it it's also the scientifically correct way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports