Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are we through to the next round?

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Ok, I've got my head around it now.
Win the group, last 16...drawn against a playoff winner.
Finish second, playoff against 3rd placed team from CL
Win the playoff, last 16...drawn against a group winner
Lose the playoff....buggered

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Ok, I've got my head around it now.
Win the group, last 16...drawn against a playoff winner.
Finish second, playoff against 3rd placed team from CL
Win the playoff, last 16...drawn against a group winner
Yes - but you forgot the seedings! Seeded team plays at home second leg.

Win the group, last 16...seeded and drawn against a playoff winner (can't be an English team).
Finish second, seeded and playoff against 3rd placed team from CL (can't be an English team)
Win the playoff, last 16...unseeded and drawn against a group winner (can't be an English team)
Win the last 16 game - quarter-finals, no seedings (and lose to Man Utd with a dodgy VAR decision)

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Yes - but you forgot the seedings! Seeded team plays at home second leg.

Win the group, last 16...seeded and drawn against a playoff winner (can't be an English team).
Finish second, seeded and playoff against 3rd placed team from CL (can't be an English team)
Win the playoff, last 16...unseeded and drawn against a group winner (can't be an English team)
Win the last 16 game - quarter-finals, no seedings (and lose to Man Utd with a dodgy VAR decision)
Are you joking that there are seedings? If you are not joking please post how that works. I'm going to bed now so hopefully there maybe an definitive answer about how it's decided by the morning, so that I can try and get my head around that as well. :lolol:

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I find it easier to think of it as
- we’re through to the knock out stages
- finish 2nd and we play in the ‘last 24’ round
- finish 1st and we get a bye to the ‘last 16’ round.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Are you joking that there are seedings? If you are not joking please post how that works. I'm going to bed now so hopefully there maybe a definitive answer about how it's decided by the morning, so that I can try and get my head around that as well. :lolol:

The post you quoted pretty much explains how seedlings work.

Group winners are seeded for the round of 16 and will play second leg at home.

Teams finishing second are seeded for the play off round against the teams that finish 3rd in Champions League and will play second leg at home. Winners of those ties will be unseeded for the last 16 round.

So we know if we win the group we will be away for our last 16 game on Match 7th and home March 14th

If we finish second our play off games will be away Feb 15th and home Feb 22nd. If we get through that we will be home on March 7th and away March 14th in the last 16.

In addition to the seedlings for the playoff round and the last 16, clubs cannot face another club from the same association (so we cannot play another English club).

Once the competition reaches the quarter final stages there are no seedlings and clubs from the same association can be drawn against each other.

worthingseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Bhafc Win the group = straight through to last 16 draw on 23rd Feb
We would be seeded (means we get to play at home in the 2nd match) and it cannot be against an English team

Bhafc finish second = we’d have an extra playoff game to play against a 3rd placed team from CL (also can't be against an English team) the draw for this playoff game is on Dec 18th so the opponent hasn’t been predetermined already.

Bhafc win that playoff game = through to last 16 draw on 23rd Feb - We would be unseeded (means we get to play at home first) and cannot be against an English team

Bhafc lose this playoff game = out of Europe (we would not drop to Conference at this stage)

So best result is beat Marseille so we don’t have to play two extra playoff games

🔵⚪🔵⚪🔵

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
We are through to the Europa League knockout rounds.

2nd in the group means an extra round ( vs a champions league 3rd placer ) of those knockout games

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
I’m sure we can beat Marseille depending on the injury situation but if we do finish second, the only team to fear would be AC Milan. If Newcastle finish 3rd in that group, can we draw them in the next round?

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
If we finish 2nd in our group, we play the 'additional' round on the 15th and 22nd February.

If we win our group, we play our round of 16 games on the 7th and 14th March.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
No. It’s all about the Europa League from here on. Effectively we are in the last 32. If we win the group we go straight into the last 16 instead.
Last 24, not 32.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Sorry, just catching up with this. What happens next?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here